Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yes, we ARE a defence force..

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Mairt wrote: »
    And just getting back to the Balkans, how would British or American forces have dealth with this?;

I dare say they'd have bombed sh*t out of the place.

Well, not necessarily. I'd give it about a 50-50 chance.

However, if one must look to Balkan hypotheticals, one must postulate as to what the result may have been had a US battalion been guarding Srebrenica vs a Dutch one (Or an Irish one, for that matter). It has been many years since the US military has ever decided to not put up a fight because they thought they didn't have enough firepower available to them. Mainly because it's been a very long time since a US unit hasn't had a lot of firepower on the other end of a radio.

We may be a hammer, but we have our uses. The Irish may not have been in Kosovo in the first place if it wasn't for some slight US bombing the s*&t out of things just beforehand.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

However, if one must look to Balkan hypotheticals, one must postulate as to what the result may have been had a US battalion been guarding Srebrenica vs a Dutch one (Or an Irish one, for that matter).

I appricate what your saying, but on the flip side of that coin you'd have to look at the Irish experience in Lebanon.

While we were never strong enough to prevent a total Israeli anililation of Lebanon we never shirked from our commitment to peace there either.

We operated under a very weak UN mandate, and while the USA and Great Britain (Multi National Force) retreated from Beirut in 1984 we didn't, and stayed the course in the south.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Fair point, but it was Congress that pulled the US forces back from MNF, not any lack of spirit from the troops or officers.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Fair point, but it was Congress that pulled the US forces back from MNF, not any lack of spirit from the troops or officers.

NTM

I didn't mean to suggest that. I'd never doubt your guys will to fight.

Advertisement