Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my shop wired correctly.

Options
  • 14-08-2008 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭

Hiya all.

I have a shop and the electricity bill is over 2000 euro per month. I am concerned about this especially as another shop I know of, which is a similar size, only has a bill of 960 euro per month.

My meter has more gauges than I can make out, so dont know where to start. I tried ringing RECI but got referrals to a couple of guys who couldnt really help.

Is there anyone thats in the know, that can look at what I have and check it is set up properly.

Where would I go?

I am with Energia.

Thanks

Jeff

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

My advice would be to get a good electrician in to check your loading. If you're paying upward of 2K a month the cost of an electricians time is minimal. There's a sticky on the main page listing some boardsie electrical contractors.

You could start by powering everything off and check to see if the meter is still spinning. This will verify that no-one else is running off your supply. It's hard to gauge what it could/should be costing without knowing your specific details :)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Out of curiosity is it possible for electricity meters to "leak" a current to earth and register current consumption ?

OP's post reminds me of something that happened years ago when I was a kid. Grandfather's electricity bills seemed high. ESB turned up with various gizmos to check for a leak to earth or something like it. Nothing found.

I just remember this as I was one of those nosy kids whom tradesmen hated because I used to follow them around the house out of interest !!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

UrbanFox wrote: »
    I was one of those nosy kids whom tradesmen hated because I used to follow them around the house out of interest !!

Yeah that was me too, but i always thought i was being helpful.
    I've never heard of such a leak.

the advice about turning off power on the shop's distribution board to and checking if the meter is still running is good IMO. After that I'd get someone in, refrigeration is a huge constant load in most shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

First you need to know what rate (tariff) you are on. (Presume you have already compared with ESB). From that you can work out the number of units you are using.

Then you need to go to your fuseboard and systematically switch of each breaker/fuse and see what is happening on your consumer meter. There are more accurate energy monitoring equipment like the Wattson which will make the job easier ( can be connected to a computer to monitor over time ). However this particular unit has a maximum capacity of 12.5KW max per phase which while suitable for a house would not do for your much higher consumption. It might be better to employ someone with higher capacity monitoring equipment to do this job. A rough estimate can be obtained from the consumer meter on what each circuit on your fuseboard is using.

Unfortunately the only leak appears to be of money out of your pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A faulty fridge (coolant or insulation) can eat x10 electricity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sparkfireman

lol.... the first question i'd ask is what shop is it and what big electricial things have u in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Its a Spar type of store. It had 3 wall coolers, two wall freezer cabinets and one walk in freezer in the stock room.

I have downsized and used shelving to create a false wall to make the shop smaller. I closed off one wall freezer and one fridge. I have disconnected all the lights in the closed off area of the shop so this should have an impact on my bill.

I wont know the results till my next energia bill but still need someone with knowhow to look at what I have and try to work out what the fecks going on. As previously mentioned, another shop the same size, has a bill half of mine.

In the current downturn, I am down 33% and if I dont cut my bills, I am finished. I will be gone by christmas.

Is there anyone on the westside of dublin who can look at what I have and help me. I even rang RECI and got nowhere.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

edit by stoner ..

suggestions for contractors to be made via the "looking for a contractor thread" if someone wants to be included there , just PM a mod, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Echo above, get a sparks in, they will check the load per phase and calculate your usage for you on the spot, in this warm humid weather fridges are on a helluva lot of the time!

Also if your meter box is that confusing it is possible you are paying for a supply to some other area. An underground carpark's lighting? Gulp!:eek:

As someone said above the callout is a tiny fraction of your bill and could save you a lot.

Hope things pick up for you

Advertisement