Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you finish all your games?

Options
  • 14-08-2008 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

Autumn is nearly here which means games season starts again. I'm still struggling to play last year's top titles never mind making room for Fallout 3, The Force Unleashed, GOW 2 etc.

With so many games out there on a range of formats, how many games do people here have on the go? And of those games how many are destined to remain unfinished or, worse, unplayed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I'm compelled to finish every game i ever start, i just can't let something go unfinished, i don't know what it is. I've only ever quit on two games.
    One was Neverwinter Nights because it was boring and awful and boring.
    The other was Black and White 2 because it was so bad it made me rage.

I've played some awful drek as a result, i cleared billy hatcher and the giant egg, Halo CE, Soilder of fortune II , Prince of persia: Warrior Within, Both sonic adventure games Sonic R and Sonic 3D...

I think i might need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

I try my best to but some games are just so ****e that I wouldnt even bother. Blue Dragon, Dark Messiah, Ninja Gaiden 2, Silent Hill Origins are notable mentions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Went through a huge phase of not finishing games...And haven't started some other greats! Don't even know why!!!

My list (have to go back / start):
    Half:Life 2 & Episodes
    FEAR & expansions
    Prince of Persia (last 1 or 2)

Haven't even looked at others such as Prey, Bioshock, The Orange Box, Crysis

Though my system also struggles at times so that has also put me off :(

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Only game I've never completed to the end is Dead Rising, replayed it many times, just never completed the full story. :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I have alot of games but at best only finish about half of them.

Couple of games I got really close to finishing but never did.

Resident Evil PS1 . Spent the whole day playing the game trying to beat it without a memory card. I even beat tyrant but before I could "get to the chopper" I had to turn it off.

Half Life 1 and Halo Combat Evolved I got 95% through but I lost my Halo save file and got bored of the Xen levels at the end of Half Life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Depends... most games I do, but some I'd just get stuck at one point and kind of forget about it.

Final Fantasy 8 comes to mind... I've been meaning to finish that for nearly 9 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

umm...crysis/prey/swat4/mass.effect come to mind in the last few months that have been started and remain unfinished

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I'm in the middle of a project to finish off as many games as I can. Just finished Crackdown on the 360 (!) and will probably hit Dead Rising next. I've got about a dozen top games that I want to finish across all consoles, so it should save me buying any more top titles for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I finish the vast majority of the games I get.
    If I find I'm not into a game I'll usually make an effort to re-try it but sometimes the love just isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Im a hoor for not finishing games, on my current list of "must get back to it at some stage":

Oblivion, The Witcher (barely started), stalker: (meh, too repetitive), rainbow six vegas (wont run anymore :()

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

depends... I mean if we are defining "finished" as 100%, then no I don't care for all the artwork or unlockables in most games. Finishing the single player campaign once on medium is finishing to me, anything more than that is mere polishing.

But I'll usually always complete the single player campaign, regardless of how crap the game is. Quite a few games have pulled out a really solid last act so I will always see a game to its end regardless of how crap the first few levels are.

Examples would be:

Infernal - great last few levels and an excellent end boss
    Blacksite Area 51 - Had some high points throughout the game
    Turning Point: Fall of Liberty - Great last act aboard the zeppelin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Finishing the single player campaign once on medium is finishing to me, anything more than that is mere polishing.

You sir, disgust me! Play it on Hard or not at all. That's one thing I hate about some games though, they force you to play lesser difficulties to unlock the harder ones! Irritating! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I think they only game on my 360 I haven't finished is BF: Modern Combat, because the last level was just so frustrating and badly designed.
    Not a bad ratio though out of ~40 games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

L31mr0d wrote: »
    depends... I mean if we are defining "finished" as 100%
    No, finishing is completing the main campaign, imo. With that in mind, if i start a game, i almost always finish it. There are some notable exceptions, like Twilight Princess, Two Thrones, and Oblivion (never cleared the main story, just most of the side-quests).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yet to finish ff6, San Andreas, Bully (didn't get into it)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Dark Messiah
    Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Half:Life 2 & Episodes
    FEAR & expansions
    Prince of Persia (last 1 or 2)

Sirs, you disgust me.
    Now GTFO of my intarnets!

Never finished Oblivion, FFXI - FFX and a few others, but only because of time not because of lack of happy times.

Sirs, you disgust me.
    Now GTFO of my intarnets!

Literally nobody liked Black and White 2, nobody. It's a physical impossibility. You are a paradox and I refuse to believe you are real.

Literally nobody liked Black and White 2, nobody. It's a physical impossibility. You are a paradox and I refuse to believe you are real.

B&W2 took the genius of B&W1, then gave you more control, more options and kick ass battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I try my best to finish games, but some just fall by the wayside. If a game does something I don't like (scare the bejaysus out of me, frustrating controls, long slog from last save to last boss etc.), or if something newer and shinier comes along, I can put it down with the intention of coming back to it, but never make it.

Looking at the pile under my TV, they include: MGS3, Okami (PS2), God of War, ZOE2, Oddworld: Strangers Wrath, Guitar Hero, Metroid (Wii), Excite Truck...

Other games I just give up on for various reasons, usually when I'm close to the end too. (Paper Mario TYD, Psi Ops...)

With the advent of achievements, I find I'm going further to finish games, and my definition of "finished" has moved from completing the story, to getting 1000 points... though I've given up on whoring for multiplayer and boring achievements.

B&W2 took the genius of B&W1, then ignored it, gave you more sliders to control your creature thereby robbing it of any kind of personality, making it a mindless automaton as opposed to a unique piece of A-Life with some of the best emergent behaviour ever seen in a game, less options, a retarded system whereby as a GOD you had purchase your spells from mythical bullShit vendor of godly distruction and battles where you just throw wave after wave of your own men at them until you creature either won or lost it's battle and.....Ohhh jesus i am a paradox! *poof*

see, told you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ive so many unfinished games,it aint even funny :-/ I really really have to get my act together.

see, told you.

Well if you want to go into so much depth with a game that's fine, but I played it and had a lot of fun, nothing you have mentioned as con ever struck me as one.

"whereby as a GOD you had purchase your spells from mythical bullshit"

You can't say that the game would have been fun if you had Megablasts and other nasties from the get go, lots of games have that sort of thing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im actually gonna post a list of the games i've yet to finish and play,one of the games is fear,great game,but very scary :-/,I only play it every couple of months,and ive had nearly 2yrs :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

That's probably the best way to play Fear. It gets boring and repititive towards the end. Achievement points have added a lot to the way I play games. Even WOW is bringing them in.

In GTA for example, I used to normally skip a lot of the stupid challenges, and some side missions, once I'd completed the main story. With GTAIV I played on to get points for flying under all he bridges, flipping my car four times, blowing up ten vehicles in one minute etc etc. Similarily, Geometry Wars 2 uses the achievements system very well to get gamers to try a range of challenges that would normally seeem pointless eg Wax-On/Wax-Off or Smile.

The result? Games have more longevity which makes it even harder to truly complete a game and move on!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I usually finish games, although I might take a break for a few months in some cases such with Stalker and Mass Effect. Only one I can think of that I haven't finished and probably won't is Oblivion & NWN2.

silvine wrote: »
    That's probably the best way to play Fear. It gets boring and repititive towards the end. Achievement points have added a lot to the way I play games. Even WOW is bringing them in.

In GTA for example, I used to normally skip a lot of the stupid challenges, and some side missions, once I'd completed the main story. With GTAIV I played on to get points for flying under all he bridges, flipping my car four times, blowing up ten vehicles in one minute etc etc. Similarily, Geometry Wars 2 uses the achievements system very well to get gamers to try a range of challenges that would normally seeem pointless eg Wax-On/Wax-Off or Smile.

The result? Games have more longevity which makes it even harder to truly complete a game and move on!

Definitely agree but there comes a point were it becomes ridiculous. Stuff like get X amount of Kills Online and collection achievements and non stackable difficulty ones are just plain stupid and annoying.

IMO The only games that have got the achievement system correct are

The Orange Box (Mainly because of the Gnome one)
    COD4 (No online ones means no boosting or no whining, just great fun)
    Crackdown (Really creative and fun to achieve)
    Oblivion (Quite fun to do the sidequests that you might not have looked at)
    Burnout Paradise (Really fun)

The Offenders for me are
    Mass Effect (Stupid horrible achievements) Loved the game though.
    Gears of War (All these stupid online ones in ranked matches)
    DMC4/Ninja Gaiden 2 (Multiple Playthrough crap ones)
    Assassins Creed (Collecting pointless flags)
    GTAIV (Some of them were really good and others were ****e)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

GTAIV really was a mixed bag, the silly stunt achievements were great though. GoW was poor, I'll never get those online achievements! Ninja Gaiden's ones for playing through using one weapon are clever, but overly laborious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Who can forget the Gears of War 'Seriously' achievement: Killl 10,000 people online.

Who are they kidding?

I liked the 'I can't quit you Dom' acievement though!

silvine wrote: »
    Who can forget the Gears of War 'Seriously' achievement: Killl 10,000 people online.

Who are they kidding?

I liked the 'I can't quit you Dom' acievement though!

Added to the fact that there was no party play in Ranked matches so you had to be loner (for the most part) if you wanted them achievements. I rememeber playing a few and I would get screamed at and sent abusive messages for picking up the Sniper Rifle. All that just because some lil a-hole wanted kills with X weapon?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Regarding the op, It's easier to think of those I have finished, just completed MGS4, although that'd more accurately be, I finished "watching" MGS4.
    My current crop of games in play make it seem unlikely I'm going to finish many more soon, Mass Effect, unopened copy of Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and so on.

Advertisement