Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please tell me people are not studying during the summer???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Nothing wrong studying during the Summer but, if your parents are pushing you then yes, it's a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

if was just finished 5th year i defently would've studied some bit during the summer!! Like for all the grammar of french and the defintions of chemistry so on and so on!!

And also you shouldn't forget that some people wanna get 500+ points and that requires study

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Dont study during the summer, believe it or not you actually dont need to. Realistically if your naturally smart you can start studying after the pres and do excellent.

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    And also you shouldn't forget that some people wanna get 500+ points and that requires study

Well some people like myself are lucky. I dint do a whole heap for the exams and still did excellent. Saying that, for 6 years I listened in class and did most of the homework given to me. By the time it came to study I already knew most of it. Plus 4 of the subjects I did very good in were maths/technology based which appealed to my maths brain.

Then I did unreal in English and I was like, "how did that happen?". But in fairness I did put in a good bit of work into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

All I know is I'm studying come September :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

turgon wrote: »
    Realistically if your naturally smart you can start studying after the pres and do excellent.

That is true, but even so studying a little bit during the summer would be very beneficial.

I did very well in my Leaving Cert but I probably could have done better if I did an extra bit of work during the summer after 5th year.

I would say it's a good idea to do a bit of study but don't go overdoing it or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

That is true, but even so studying a little bit during the summer would be very beneficial.

I did very well in my Leaving Cert but I probably could have done better if I did an extra bit of work during the summer after 5th year.

I would say it's a good idea to do a bit of study but don't go overdoing it or anything.

you do know my math's teacher described u as a sneaky person who did all their work in 5th year instead of 6th year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    you do know my math's teacher described u as a sneaky person who did all their work in 5th year instead of 6th year!

Really? LOL :D
    How is that "sneaky"? Was I not meant to work in 5th Year? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I didn't study at all during the summer. I didn't think it was all that necessary, it's the only decent break over the two years so I figured I might as well enjoy it.

I didn't work all that hard during 5th year and my results were pretty decent so I imagine that if I just work a bit harder then I should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

studying in the summer....is someone taking the p*** here? Begar, never even entered my head, i had planned to write some physics notes like def's into the back of a copy but no way was i nearly doing that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I *may* have opened the biology bok once ir twice, but more out of boredom than anything else. Also i joined the biology class in the middle of April so I have some catching up to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I refuse to accept that people should study over the summer, I didn't, and I did very well (checks fingernails, oooh dirty better breath on them and wipe them)

If you need to do, it's just not necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Cliste wrote: »
    I refuse to accept that people should study over the summer, I didn't, and I did very well (checks fingernails, oooh dirty better breath on them and wipe them)

If you need to do, it's just not necessary
    Well done, do you want a medal ffs?

People can do whatever they want, and if they want to get a head start by studying over the summer then let them off. Who are you or anyone else to tell them not to.

However, if it is out of pressure from their parents that they're doing it then yes it's wrong.

I myself intend to start a week before going back to school, just to learn off a few bits and pieces so when I start back it should be easier to get into the cycle again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I meant to look over some maths this Summer as it's the one subject I'm genuinely worried about, but I think I'll only depress myself....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Summer study is pointless. If you want the high grades, the work needs to be done in 5th year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

alan4cult wrote: »
    Summer study is pointless. If you want the high grades, the work needs to be done in 5th year.
    Way to dampen the spirits of I'd say 90% of Irish students going into 6th year in September :rolleyes: Complete and utter rubbish btw.

Students in 5th year are what 15, 16 and 17 years old. Many are immature, don't know what they want etc. etc. Mary Hanafin herself who got over 550 points in the LC admitted she did poorly in 5th year and that was when the LC was much, much harder than it is today.

Of course you can get a good LC and over 500 points if you do badly in 5th year and study hard in 6th year. If you want something bad enough, you will definitely get it in 10 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Tyson12

turgon wrote: »
    Dont study during the summer, believe it or not you actually dont need to. Realistically if your naturally smart you can start studying after the pres and do excellent.

i completely agree! i done that and i ended up with 480+40 bonus points for maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Carroller

I didnt study at all for my LC and did fine and got what i needed....

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

If you don't take a break for the summer between 5th & 6th year you will be nearly guaranteed to burn out & be totally sick of it before the exams even start. Trust me, if you do enough work in the two school years you will find it hard not to be repulsed by it all come April or May before the LC, let alone if you're working this summer. Obviously if you're not doing a tap maybe it wouldn't hurt but I know when I was doing the work all along the hardest thing coming up to the exams was to force myself to go over things that I'd become completely bored with. Nobody I know studied during the summer & it didn't harm them one bit, I know I got my 600 without it and I know lots of people who got 450 and 500+, so don't worry about it.

alan4cult wrote: »

No it doesnt. I was failing German in 5th year, going on the hop every now and again, not doing homework as often as I should. I got into six year with a new approach and a fresh start, as it were, and I did great in the exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Question of personal preference. Some people leave all their studying to the last month. Some people start working in fifth year. Things work differently for different people.

If you fell sorely behind in fifth year and are still not sure of things you covered, (say you did differentiation but never really got it, and know you'll be starting with integration in 6th year) it would be an idea to look over it and get yourself up to date as it were.

It's the summer though (what little is left), you're meant to be taking a break. Yes, some people are studying over the summer, yes some people will study for hours a day in sixth year, there will always be people like that, but they're in the minority, let them get their million points, and don't worry about them.

let them get their million points, and don't worry about them.

I thought now that someone who taught themselves applied maths, got and A in maths and 600 overall would realize that you cant get a million points :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I did applied maths in classes outside school actually. : p

One day, someone will get a million points. They'll have won the leaving cert... Then they'll go and have a cup of tea and forget about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭yay_for_summer

Take a break during the summer if you can at all. You'll have to study over your breaks and holidays in 6th year, you may as well have one last guilt-free holiday of no study!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

OP don't listen to all these people saying "oh of course not". It's a trick, they'll be laughing next year when they get your course due to extra summer study trickery. Summers the best time for study, everyone knows it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

i wish i did some study actually...i was actually going to..
    but all i did was going out, work and more work and being online..:p had a good break...
    i wud open some books next week..since i am going back on thr 27th..
    just to get my mind ready for school... :rolleyes:

i am actually scared about going to the LC..wth like =o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Nothing wrong with doing a bit of study during the summer when you haveloads of free time, makes things easier on you when you go back.
    I did my History SRS project the summer before I went into 6th year, was a huge relief to have it done.

Started reading book for college this summer, although im only about 30 pages in. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭littlneutralone

Personally I could have studied coldly and calculatingly all summer long without benefit. To be honest, if I hadn't run over as much as possible the night before the exams I'd be down a few points, but that's just my shockingly poor memory.

I'd give a +1 on this
    If you fell sorely behind in fifth year and are still not sure of things you covered, (say you did differentiation but never really got it, and know you'll be starting with integration in 6th year) it would be an idea to look over it and get yourself up to date as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Joke posts aside, all study helps. Especially regular repeated study. I was normally a night before fellow- but i learned over the year in most big tests that it can't be done, you'll do well in the first test that you spent half the night cramming for, but the rest you'll just make retarded mistakes.

Regular repeated study ist he way to go, If you are super-serious and want 600 but aren't close to that now, you could start some regular study now. Take like 2 days a week or whatever. 1 Day of rest is enough to prevent "burning out" imo.

And yeah, there's always gonna be 600ers who do this, but there's also always gonna be the idiotic "I did naaaaaaah stady" crowd. And they are just lying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement