Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI.. Money robbing *****!!

Options
  • 14-08-2008 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Basically I have a credit card with BOI for the past three years and from the very beginning I opted for 100% repayments, which would have been taken from my current account. I got into the bad habit of not opening statements from the credit card company because I had the luxury of knowing that any bills would be taken from my current account in which I have a comfortable amount of money in it so I never had a cause to worry about not being able to repay the CC bills.

Then in April, I switched my current account to Permanent TSB and filled out the necessary mandate form so that the CC repayments could be taken from my new current a/c as per direct debit. I continued to receive monthly statements from the CC company but never got around to opening them. Until last night, I was just opening my post when I got home and for no particular reason decided to open this month’s statement. I was a bit shocked to see that I owed over 1 grand. I racked my brain to remember if I had spent that much money in the past month but could not figure it out. So I searched for the statement for July and realised that that the debt must have been accumulated over the past few months as I was making minimum payments.

So I went into BOI today and explained the situation to the guy at customer care, who in turn rang up the CC customer services. The lady on the phone was telling him that she had my papers in front of her and that in April, I had instructed them to change my payments from 100% to 10%. I was taken aback because I never changed the payment options and that it would make no sense whatsoever to do so when I have a comfortable amount of money sitting in my current account. So I was pretty adamant that it was an administrative mistake and that I wanted the papers to be faxed through immediately. They said that they would post it out to me and it should be with me within the next couple of days. I also asked for statments dating back to April to be posted along with the papers but it was €3.80 for the 1st statement and €2.70 for each one onwards so I told them to forget it. What a rip-off.

I told the guy before I left that I was very unhappy with this situation and that I expect to be refunded the interest fees I have been charged from April onwards. Right now, I’m stressed out. I am pretty adamant that I did not alter nor change the payments to 10%. I can only presume it was an administrative mistake but I am already getting paranoid that they will change the form to make it look like my mistake before they post it out.

Rant over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Even *if* they made an error, the bigger error here is on your part. Never assume, as that's generally the mother of all mistakes. Always read, read, read your statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aoraki

Yeah, gotta agree with Buffybot on this one, the onus is on you to be aware of the balances in your respective accounts, and to look at your bank statements. It always amazes me that so many people just discard or stuff their statements in a box somewhere without even looking at them. Whatever about not reading your credit card statement, were you not aware that the balance in your TSB account was higher than it should have been (due to only 10% of your credit card balance being paid off)?!
    I am pretty adamant that I did not alter nor change the payments to 10%. I can only presume it was an administrative mistake but I am already getting paranoid that they will change the form to make it look like my mistake before they post it out.

We're talking about interest for a couple of months on a balance of a grand or thereabouts. Believe me, in the grand scheme of things, that is PEANUTS to BOI. Nobody in the bank is going to falsify documents for the sake of that, if they did they would be monumentally stupid. If it transpires that they made a mistake, then you have grounds for the interest to be waived.

I have absolutely no reason to doubt you OP, but when I worked in the bank many moons ago, for all the people that phoned up with queries and said "I never signed that" or "I never did that" or "I never withdrew that money", I'd say in 95% of cases the customer was wrong. Having said that, the bank do make mistakes, they are staffed by humans after all ;). So by all means, query away.

PS. I do agree with you on one score though - BOI are a shower of money robbing shiiites!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Can't be putting your head in the sand on this one OP. Get the document showing the change in the % of monthly repayments. If there wrong then take it further. Next time the statement comes in...open it up.

There are so many little things that can go wrong and only you may spot them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Sorry OP - given you didn't read your statements, then I don't think you've much of a leg to stand on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

OP - Did it not dawn on you when you got your bank statments in the post? I mean FFS calling BOI robbin bastards when it's you that's the gob****e here. And they have the evidence that you requested the change as well. Come on.....

Some people are a danger to themselves and never should be given credit cards. Fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Please keep posts free of personal slights, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

Thanks to those who gave me a perspective and got me to cop on. I was just stressed out and needed to vent. Yeah I know I shud have opened the letters and this would have been nipped in the bud.

But what I am stressed out about is that I did not change the payments to 10%. That I am totally sure about. (that sounds self-righteous I know, but I just know I didnt change my payments) But anyway I'm just going to withdraw what I owe from my current account and just pay off the CC.

And Stepbar... Thanks for your wonderful post

Thanks to those who gave me a perspective and got me to cop on. I was just stressed out and needed to vent. Yeah I know I shud have opened the letters and this would have been nipped in the bud.

But what I am stressed out about is that I did not change the payments to 10%. That I am totally sure about. (that sounds self-righteous I know, but I just know I didnt change my payments) But anyway I'm just going to withdraw what I owe from my current account and just pay off the CC.

And Stepbar... Thanks for your wonderful post

Your welcome...... You should ask them to send a copy of the instruction. I wonder in light of everything that has happened, would you recognise the sig? or even open the envelope?

Folks, this is a prime example of customer stupidity. I've never heard anything as stupid in my life. Having to deal with crap like the above would test the best of people.

Stepbar, you must really love your job, the way you defended the bank is very noble....

But as always, you speak the truth, straight to to bone with you!!! :D Was waiting for your reply. UB moaning is quiet of late :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Well, to be fair - read the thread title, then read the post - I know where my sympaties lie.

Sorry OP, but, if you don't open your post, you really only have yourself to blame.

• Advertisement

Stepbar, you must really love your job, the way you defended the bank is very noble....

But as always, you speak the truth, straight to to bone with you!!! :D Was waiting for your reply. UB moaning is quiet of late :D

I don't mince my words! To be fair I give out about my own bank as well :D Any bank that engages in acts of stupidity deserve it and vice versa if they do something beyond the call of duty.

Same to be said of customers.

stepbar wrote: »
    I don't mince my words! To be fair I give out about my own bank as well :D Any bank that engages in acts of stupidity deserve it and vice versa if they do something beyond the call of duty.

Same to be said of customers.

Exactly, now only if we could do that in real life!!!! :eek:

Exactly, now only if we could do that in real life!!!! :eek:

Believe me I do! For example today, I gave out to my friends in B365 about nearly giving a guy a 50k loan. FFS if you knew the detail you 'd be going the muppets, I tell ya you would.....

Advertisement