Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Freshers Week Event

Options
  • 14-08-2008 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

Tis a month exactly till the start of freshers week (15th September) and while most societies are scrambling desperately for cash (thanks recession) the vast majority of the grunt work is winding up for the various people involved in organising the events.

So, what was everyones favourite events of freshers week in college thus far? For incoming freshers, what would you like to see?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Well i hope the freshers guide has been written by now.

C&E Iron Stomach, unmissable.
    The Freshers Ball - great fun
    Carnival - happened 2 out of the 3 years I was there: Dutch Soc / Craic Soc / Jazz Soc descrete drinking session

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Carnival - happened 2 out of the 3 years I was there: Dutch Soc / Craic Soc / Jazz Soc descrete drinking session

And Juggle soc usually - I'd expect big things of a pre-game for The Wailers later on in the year as well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

The events of the bigger societies usually suck giant balls. They hype up events, which are nothing more than an evening in Club 92 with a name like the Cherry Ball etc.

The Ents Office usually organise decent Freshers Balls, and in 2005 there was the Freshers Festival.

If you want to pick up cheap booze then your best bet is to join one of the smaller societies and keep your ear to the ground. You will meet tons of people, and you are likely to get involved in the society, which is the gateway to a good college life. What struck me about the bigger societies, it was about who one knew

Het-Field wrote: »
    The events of the bigger societies usually suck giant balls. They hype up events, which are nothing more than an evening in Club 92 with a name like the Cherry Ball etc.

Agree with you completely there - these are mainly used in lieu of sponsorship money for the various societies.
    If you want to pick up cheap booze then your best bet is to join one of the smaller societies and keep your ear to the ground. You will meet tons of people, and you are likely to get involved in the society, which is the gateway to a good college life.

Exactly - JazzSoc, TradSoc, DutchSoc, FilmSoc, JuggleSoc all seem to be very inclusive and booze-up friendly society; they generally do interesting things and people seem to know each other which is really important. Unfortunately, none of them really have any sort of a budget for freshers events or to spruce up their stands/bags/membership benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

The best event is clearly the library - so calm, so quiet :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

best events are the ones you set up with your mates. seriously, the organised society events usually smoke the fat one.

ferdi wrote: »
    best events are the ones you set up with your mates. seriously, the organised society events usually smoke the fat one.

Really depends what you're into - and how many of your mates are going to it... that said, I've had the same response from a load of people recently. I mean, if you were organising an event with around the same budget as the bigger ones (about 2k say) what would you do better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Jimmy, this is a ridiculous excuse to set up a long term plug. As for events, the Iron Stomach is unbeatable for entertainment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Go-Go-Gadget

Sci fi events running all week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Undeniably the best event of Freshers Week is the Kevin Barry Cumann (KBC) Hot Whiskey Night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭irish.rugby.fan

Another vote for the Iron stomach.

To be hosted by the lads from how low can you go, rumour has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

The history soc is going to kick ass at this fresher week. We will be up to all sorts, we are going to get Garrett FitzGerald as a speaker this year so join the history soc for all your history goodness.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Jimmy, this is a ridiculous excuse to set up a long term plug. As for events, the Iron Stomach is unbeatable for entertainment

Retribution is at hand in both cases
    Undeniably the best event of Freshers Week is the Kevin Barry Cumann (KBC) Hot Whiskey Night.

Hot whiskey you say... intriguing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

The first day of term in the student bar and the iron stomach on the wednesday are the only two unmissables really, the cherry ball in 92 on the wednesday can be good too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

jimi_t wrote: »
    Hot whiskey you say... intriguing :D

Yeah it's whiskey with boiled water, lemons and cloves. It's usually on Thursday of Freshers Week, so join the cumann before then. It's still only €2 to join as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Another vote for the Iron stomach.

To be hosted by the lads from how low can you go, rumour has it.

Oh god, anyone who doesnt get amusment out of unfunny OC-wannabess acting like high school jocks avoid this like the plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

jimi_t wrote: »
    Really depends what you're into - and how many of your mates are going to it... that said, I've had the same response from a load of people recently. I mean, if you were organising an event with around the same budget as the bigger ones (about 2k say) what would you do better?
    Listen squire, i don't work for nothing, my help and suggestions will cost you. My criticism however, is always free. :)
    panda100 wrote: »
    Oh god, anyone who doesnt get amusment out of unfunny OC-wannabess acting like high school jocks avoid this like the plague.

+1
    cringeworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭irish.rugby.fan

ferdi wrote: »
    Listen squire, i don't work for nothing, my help and suggestions will cost you. My criticism however, is always free. :)

+1
    cringeworthy.

Thats whats makes it so funny

Been doing some research into this and tbh the last decade or so has been fairly dissapointing. There has been plenty of great sessions and smaller events, but little by way of big public spectacles barring the Iron Stomach... or am I wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TheJeanGenie

Can anybody join any society? You'd know I was very inexperienced, lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Can anybody join any society? You'd know I was very inexperienced, lol

You can join any society you want. Look at the pimp my society stickie at the top of the forum. Welcome to the jungle:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Oh Christ. I just remembered about Freshers week. Worst week of the year !

Advertisement