Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garages Knowingly Advertising Cars Incorrectly

Options
  • 14-08-2008 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Just had a quick look on car zone for what Highline Diesel Passats are making at the moment out of sheer curiosity. Came across a SIMI registered dealer advertising what looks like a base model passat as a highline. Linky:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Passat/1.9-TDI/1076195/

Looks like an ex taxi judging by the no smoking sign on the center console in the Back. Anyone else come across this either on the web or forecourt?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

A check on cartell.ie would reveal the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Looks like a UK import with the way the reg is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

It looks like a Uk registered car all right. Highline should have leather as standard thou as well as few other toys. It should be stated on the V5 anyways. You would think an SIMI registered garage would be straight with potential customers.

Id wonder though if it has the same mileage as it left the Uk with?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Highline was only introduced this year in the UK. Up to that you had S, SE and Sport afaik.

That particular car looks like the S model which is the same as the Baseline model here. I'd avoid basic model Passats, they are pretty hard to sell on.

Read the thread about the clocked 05 Passat posted here a couple of days ago. There is plenty of food for though in there before considering one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I'd be very wary of any car for sale on any lot that has had it's english plates removed prior to being VRT'd here. This seems to be a recent but increasingly common practice amongst garages. Could they be trying to hide something?
    If you are interested in a UK import, as yet unregistered but for sale in Ireland but minus it's UK plates, always note the chassis number and get a HPI check done based on that. If it has a service book, ring the garages, don't assume that a stamp means anything other than that the book was stamped at some point in time.
    On a completely unrelated note ;), I remember a couple of instances here of people spotting a UK import for sale at an irish garage that they had previously seen on E-Bay or other UK car sales websites and had noted from the advertised mileage here in Ireland that the car had received what some folk in the trade would describe as a 'haircut' on the ferry on the way over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Already have a Late 03 130bhp Highline Passat :D. Got it last year went over especially to buy. I Love it. Was just looking on car zone to see what they were making now with the new VRT rate for both the B5.5 and the new b6 but was surprised to see so many "Highline" which are in fact base models being sold by dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Have you ever noticed the amount of "extras" some people add on?

Abs, leather, wood trim, alloy wheels etc on cars who's base spec includes them :rolleyes:, yet when you mention the spec on yours they cut you short and ask year and mileage !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Looks like a km/h only speedo to me so it must be Irish right? Or maybe I need to get my eyes checked....

Advertisement