Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q for people in rented houses

Options
  • 14-08-2008 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

Sorry i know there must be a more appropriate forum to ask this question but I can't find it and AH gets so much traffic.

I've recently moved out of the house I own ( with ex long story) and back to rented accomodation.

I don't know if it's a symptom of getting older and more sensible or just having more valuable stuff now but I'm uncomfortable not having home and contents insurance.

Now obviously if the house burns down or whatever its the landlords look out but what about my stuff? My shoes my beautiful expensive shoes! What if we were robbed? I actually have a good stereo and real jewellry now!

Does anyone have, or heard of, contents insurance for renters? Can I insure my stuff and not the other peoples in the house?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

You'd be much better posting this question in the Accomodation & Property forum.

In fact do a search on the forum there as the question's been asked before and the short of it is that, yes, there are insurance options there for renters and their own personal belongings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Bank of Ireland can sort you out. Contents to the value of 13500 if I remember. Its cheap also, about €12.50 per month depending on how many are in the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Magpie!

Thanks guys. Don't know how I missed that forum. Not the sharpest today. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

efla wrote: »
    Bank of Ireland can sort you out. Contents to the value of 13500 if I remember. Its cheap also, about €12.50 per month depending on how many are in the house

Axa also do contents only insurance, for about €153p.a.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Several insurers will do contents insurance for rented accommodation.

There is some useful info in this Sunday Business Post article from earlier this year:

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2008/01/13/story29505.asp

Obviously the cost will depend on the value of the items that you're insuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Hmm I didn't think any insurers would cover you if you live in shared accommodation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If your living alone as a tenant, contents insurance will be no problem.

If you are living in shared accomodation, you'll find it harder to get contents insurance.

Higher risk of things being robbed in shared accomodation.

Advertisement