Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land to Practice on paper Targets

Options
  • 14-08-2008 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi All
    I am currently new to shooting in ireland, however i do have a lot of experience from the u.k forces for shooting,

I have just applied for my license.
    I want to practice shooting paper targets but not wanting to join a gun club just yet as want to practice on my own, is there anyone out there that may help me point me in the right direction of a land owner who will let me around dublin west area?

How much generally is it to join a range? i will be shooting a .22LR (bruno)
    any help would be grate
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭freddieot

Jonoliver

It's obvious you got the rifle for Target shooting rather than pest control or hunting.

Your call but I can't stress enough that you should join a range \ club before you fire one shot, regardless of previous experience. Most of the other members will have no interest in your scores unless you shoot 200/200 with the first box.

I understand that maybe you want to practice back up to a reasonable level before shooting in a club environment. However, what insurance will you have if you just set up a few paper targets on someone else's land ? By the way that scenario can also be considered as a Range.

There are a few ranges where you can shoot .22 easily enough. I don't know the exact contact details for any in West Dublin area but I'm sure someone will post it for you.

freddieot

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jonoliver28

freddieot wrote: »
    Jonoliver

It's obvious you got the rifle for Target shooting rather than pest control or hunting.

Your call but I can't stress enough that you should join a range \ club before you fire one shot, regardless of previous experience. Most of the other members will have no interest in your scores unless you shoot 200/200 with the first box.

I understand that maybe you want to practice back up to a reasonable level before shooting in a club environment. However, what insurance will you have if you just set up a few paper targets on someone else's land ? By the way that scenario can also be considered as a Range.

There are a few ranges where you can shoot .22 easily enough. I don't know the exact contact details for any in West Dublin area but I'm sure someone will post it for you.

freddieot

Hi Fred
    To be honest, i will be doing rabbits at some stage over the winter, however i only want to practice for 1 hour a week or maybe 2 just to get the feel of things again, its been about 17 years since i last fired this rifle. i have seen some of the costs involved in using the range and tends to be quite expensive, again i only a couple of visits a month to polish me off ready for shooting on approved land. the approved land is west meath and hell of a travel just to shoot a couple of targets,

although i fully understand what your saying, but most clubs are not taking new members in the dublin area, the chances are i will be joining one, just to keep things in line, thanks fred:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

How much generally is it to join a range? i will be shooting a .22LR (bruno)
    any help would be grate
    :D

I am a member of Courtlough http://www.courtlough.ie
    If your in Dublin West they might be your nearest range. They have paper targets at 50m, 75m and 100m on there .22lr range.

Don't run any rifle shooting competition on the gounds.

There membership is €190 a year plus €45 for insurance. Membership runs from January to December.

Advertisement