Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living with a Bernese Mountain Dog, whats the reality?

Options
  • 14-08-2008 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Looking for a little advice from any Bernese owners out there. Been thinking about getting a Bernese for a while but was unsure about a couple of things and don't want to rush in.
    Everything I read about them regarding the amount of company and exercise is really subjective so it's hard to get a real picture. Basically I get in from work around 6.30 in the evening, my wife a little before that. Would an hour's exercise be enough for a Bernese? How do they typically handle being at home alone all day? I'd intend to leave him/her out the back during the day (with shelter) and bringing them in when we get home from work. We don't have kids at the moment but possibly in the next couple of years, how do they typically react to babies (I know some breeds can get v v jealous)? Have you found much of a difference temperement wise between bitches & dogs?
    I know a lot of this will really be down to individual dogs but just trying to find out what they're really like to live with

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Oh no - not another "is it ok to leave my dog alone all day" thread. Peter Griffen - take cover!

:rolleyes:

If you look back a few threads you will see people's opinions here about that. (Summary - approx 75% will say its not a good idea, your dog will be distressed and lonely, and you will end up with a destructive and misbehaving dog, more than likely. Then approx 25% will say, they do it and their dog is fine)

Although, I know nothing about your proposed breed of dog, from reading this forum, I know you will get the following - 80% approx will say you can never tell because each individual dog is completely different character, the remaining 20% will offer an opinion.

I think I am spending too much time on this forum...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Yup, that about sums it up!! :D

Edit: From trawling the homes wanted forums, dogs are often rehomed on the arrival of a baby/child. Many owners haven't trained their dogs properly, and they're jumping up and knocking the children over, or they find they don't have the time any more to deal with a demanding dog with children in their lives. Just something else to think about.

I wouldn't leave a dog home alone all day though - just my twopence. It's well and good on the shorter working days, but what about the long dark winter nights, when you're stuck in traffic/working late, and you don't get home til 8 starving hungry and in the lashing rain? The dog's lonely and frustrated, you're stressed out, are you going to bring the dog out for an hour then?

You are going to get a variety of opinions on this though - as MsFifers said, do a search! There have been plenty of arguments over that in the past ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

This month's Dogs Today magazine has an in-depth breed feature on living with the Bernese... well worth buying if you're considering one... You'll get it in Easons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

Cheers guys....I know parts of the post have been done to death was just wondering if Bernese tend to be more affected than other breeds. I guess was just trying to figure out if the reality of living with this particular breed meets with what I'm reading elsewhere

But I appreciate your frustration!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Huggsies

I know this reply is a little late but hopefully petergriffen will have email alert!
    I have a 2 year old Bernese bitch and I would say they are not the best breed to be left alone. I also have another dog and even with company and walk of 1.5 hours per day, she can be destructive. Not overly so but she does dig holes and eat the garden bench etc.
    She absolutely has to be walked or she climbs the walls for a few hours.
    Don't get me wrong they are a fantastic breed. I will never be without one again. So friendly and loyal but if you are really really house proud don't get one. My girl is actually really clean but the place still gets wrecked, especially in the bad weather. The paw prints, don't get me started. Have learned to live with it coz she's worth it!
    They need constant training from day one as you will not realise how big and powerful they get from about 12 months. I don't have kids so cannot really advise on that but as long as they are well trained with kids as pups you shouldn't really have any problems. Great affectionate dogs.
    No health problems with my girl but think have been lucky coz have heard some horror stories. Be careful where you get them as from looking at websites such as Done Deal some of the pups are very light looking. You want a nice chunky, not fat, mother and pup.
    PM me if you have any other questions but ya great breed if you have time to walk them daily and can give them the company they need. Great for hugs!

• Advertisement
Advertisement