Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vaccinations - clinic or GP

• 14-08-2008 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭

Any advice on which is the better (i.e. cheaper!) way to go? We need vaccinations for Southern India, South East Asia (and Oz and then South America in about a year's time) and being stupid we've left it til seven weeks before we leave to do anything about it. Any help much appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Well it depands if you need a Yellow Fever shot as they can only be done by registered clinics, you then need to keep your copy. If going to Brazil or north of that.

LocalGP dont have as much expertise and means a return visit to actually get the shots after then perscribe.

Check http://www.tmb.ie they were very good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Ideally the tmb recommend 8 weeks before travel for some of the jabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

It's cheaper to go to your gp. Figure out what you need, there are plenty of resources available online. When you have your list just ring up your gp before you make your appointment to make sure they have what you need, if they don't they can get it in. I paid E140 for all my vaccinations, prescriptions and a check up with my gp. I think it's an idea to go to your gp anyway to have a chat and a quick check up before you go, so why not combine it in one? From what I hear it can be anything from E200 - E300 if you go to the tmb. Happy injecting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

thanks for the replies. I'll get onto my GP so. Better get my skates on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Just got a quote for me and gf for SA and South Africa:

Basic Pack (Malaria,and 4 other ones)
    Yellow Fever
    Rabies
    Heb B

Came in at 390 from my medical centre in Sallins,

Same quote from TMB was 500.Good saving I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

The rabies shot is expensive and is driving up your price. Unless you are going to be working with animals in very remote areas i wouldn't bother with the rabies shot. all it does is give you an extra day to get to a hospital. it doesn't make you immune to the virus.

The rabies shot is expensive and is driving up your price. Unless you are going to be working with animals in very remote areas i wouldn't bother with the rabies shot. all it does is give you an extra day to get to a hospital. it doesn't make you immune to the virus.

Yeah true,was a bit concerned as I will be in Kruger Park,and also the Amazon.Doc said you need to get treated within 7 days.

I've been all over south and central america in jungles and remote areas and even if i was bitten i'd have made it to a hospital in time. you honestly don't have much interaction with the animals except for maybe some species of monkey's who will come close but they won't attack you. I got my first injections in the US by a doctor who had worked for the World Health Organization and he told me not to bother with it if i wasn't specifically working with animals and that most doctors try to advise it so they can get more money from you.

I got some booster vaccinations for a trip i'm taking in 2 weeks time and Dr. Ekky in Drumcondra also advised me not to get it as did the TMB to a mate who got them there. Anyways it's your decision. Just letting you know it's not necessary so you can save a few quid.

I've been all over south and central america in jungles and remote areas and even if i was bitten i'd have made it to a hospital in time. you honestly don't have much interaction with the animals except for maybe some species of monkey's who will come close but they won't attack you. I got my first injections in the US by a doctor who had worked for the World Health Organization and he told me not to bother with it if i wasn't specifically working with animals and that most doctors try to advise it so they can get more money from you.

I got some booster vaccinations for a trip i'm taking in 2 weeks time and Dr. Ekky in Drumcondra also advised me not to get it as did the TMB to a mate who got them there. Anyways it's your decision. Just letting you know it's not necessary so you can save a few quid.

Cheers,will see how the nurse i'm travelling with reacts to that ;)

Yea i was also advised no need for it, didnt bother with the Hep B either and i was in South Africa in Jan and off to SA next month!

• Advertisement

I had got the hep b shots before so i was already covered. it's not really one you'd need if you plan on staying away from sleeping with locals. but i speak spanish so i try interacting with locals a lot and also you'd never know what a fellow travelller has. and who plans on a blood transfusuion? sometimes hospitals in developing countries aren't the best and their donors wouldn't be screened as thoroughly as elsewhere. so it could be wise to have it. 3 shots and your covered for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

Yeah definitely go for the Hep B shots. God forbid you end up destroying your liver because of a dodgy blood transfusion. I already have the shots from work, but got my gp to take a blood titre a few weeks ago. Turns out I need a booster. The problem is there are a small proportion of the population who never develop any immunity to Hep B, so a booster shot might not be any good to me. I'm currently chasing down my medical records at work to see if I did develop an effective immunity the last time round - paperwork city! If I did, I'm going to try and get work to give me the booster (for free!). They don't have to know I'm leaving in 4 weeks....
    Otherwise it's another trip to the GP for me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm definitely thinking of going to my GP for the shots but whats the story with the yellow fever shot? Can GP's just order it in, if not how did those of you who got the shots from your GP get it done?

Some GP clinics have the licence to give it and the certifcation you get with it.

Advertisement