Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet slow on Vista

• 14-08-2008 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a machine with windows Vista, what is happening is that the Internet is very slow on that machine, even in some cases just after opening the browser (IE and Firefox) it might take about 1 minute for the 1st page to load after that it will go better but in some cases it will slow down again and take again a while to open the pages.

I originally had it connected with Wifi but since them I change and connected the PC directly to the router.

If I do a speed test the speeds are ok and get about the same speed as the other machines running XP.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

What ISP out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

Is with UPC but I don't think is provider issue as the other PC's works ok.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

nava wrote: »
    Hi

Is with UPC but I don't think is provider issue as the other PC's works ok.

Thanks
    am with UPC here in galway, same story here, been happening since last nite,

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Hmm. that is interesting. I have UPC and all, and am having similar troubles resolving some addresses. I have noticed that Boards, say, is a lot slower than google or similar. I am wondering if it is a problem with resolving the IP or DNS on their side, because my speed tests and bittorrents are running fast.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

What anti virus/firewalls are you using? Also do you have any addons installed in internet explorer? Try running it in no addons mode, type Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) inside start menu search

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

yoyo wrote: »
    What anti virus/firewalls are you using? Also do you have any addons installed in internet explorer? Try running it in no addons mode, type Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) inside start menu search

Nick

Hi Nick

not many add-ons in IE as far as i recall, but will test later if that works. I don't think I have many add-ons in Firefox neither but will remove them and try again.

Firewalls I have Zone Alarms Free and virus with Symantec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

yoyo wrote: »

Nick
    my norton ran out yesterday, got a link for free zone alarm, so installed that,,, not sure if thats whats causing problem, have already ran it with no add ons .... no difference, like dr bollocko, boards.ie very slow as well, straight into google no probs

Does the norton that you guys are using have a additional toolbar called a phishing protection or site safe or simular?

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nortons phiser wouldnt take more than a couple seconds.

What version of norton? 360, AV or Internet Security? You sure it doesnt also have a firewall?

I think there was an issue about 2 months ago where Zone Alarm was doing this exact same thing, except it blocked it completely...anyway, try disabling your security software to see if it doesnt speed up at all.

Overheal wrote: »
    Nortons phiser wouldnt take more than a couple seconds.

What version of norton? 360, AV or Internet Security? You sure it doesnt also have a firewall?

I think there was an issue about 2 months ago where Zone Alarm was doing this exact same thing, except it blocked it completely...anyway, try disabling your security software to see if it doesnt speed up at all.
    I've seen it aswell as AVGs bar slow down surfing at times

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement