Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jamie at home- Canneloni

• 14-08-2008 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi
    Did anybody see the Jamie at home episode in the last week in which he made canneloni. He made a filling for it and an alternative bechamel sauce. If anybody can tell methis recipe I'd appreciate it because I have friends over for my first ''dinner party'' ever next wednesday and I really want to impress. Also what would you serve with this?
    My plan for a starter is bruscetta with goats cheese and olive tapenade and my desert is a white chocolate cheese cake or a maybe strawberries in balsamic vinegar with mascarpone cheese.

Any suggestions would be most welcome,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

There's a baked cauliflower & broccoli cannelloni recipe by him here, is that the one? A bechamel would probably be more heart-friendly than his sauce of creme fraiche, mozarella and parmesan cheese! Those 3 courses sound nice, nice array of cheeses in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

Do you think there is too much cheese? Should I tone it back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Paola L.

Hi
    i think that cheese as starter (goat on the bruschetta), cheese with cannelloni and cheese cake and/or mascarpone could be too mach. cheese could be heavy and maybe after the cannelloni your guests could really appreciate the dessert.
    you could try to make tomatoes bruschetta as well and make the besciamella with soya milk, is ligher
    and you could serve some raw vegetables (carrotts, tomatoes, selery, etc...) to "have a break".

and for the dessert what about dark chocolate and straberries instead than mascarpone?

Ya the more I think about it the more I think I should cut the cheese back a bit. I think I'll keep the canneloni with a nice plain leaf salad but come up with something else for starter and desert. I think after that pasta and creamy sauce desert needs to be light and refreshing and I might leave bread out of the starter altogether and think of something else.
    God talk about stress!! and these people are the nicest in the world I could serve them mcdonalds and they'd still be lovely about it!!!

if you dont want bread for the starter (i agree with you, its too filling) you can try to serve some raw vegetables with hummus, it could be fresh. i like salad as a starter as well (red lettuce, apple, seeds), could be a different way to start.
    if you eat ham in italy (actually im italian) is very common to serve for the starter melon and ham or figs and ham.
    if you eat fish you could try melon, prawn and basil.

for the dessert you could serve a combination of fresh fruits and chocolate (better if dark) and/or icecream with some nuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

For dessert, you could do an espresso granita, dark chocolate sorbet, tiramisu (even with the mascarpone it's still a light dessert). How about a nice Caprese Salad for starters and omit the mozarella from the cannelloni dish? You could also just bake them without the cheese sauce and add some freshly grated parmesan when you serve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Cauliflower & broccoli cannelloni Recipe cooked from: Jamie at Home: Cook Your Way to the Good Life.

and so kiki, how did you sort out?
    update us :)

Thanks for asking....it went really well didn't do my original suggestions at all.
    Starter was bruscetta with garlic mushrooms and roasted vine tomatoes it was fairly light. Main was thai green chicken curry and dessert was the balsamic strawberries with the mascarpone and cream and I think it all went down very well!
    I did try the cannelloni myself however and it was lovely but my other half has an aversion to sardines and he didn't like that flavour but if ithat was left out he'd love it. I thought there was a realy interesting flavour from the recipe, quite unusual.

that dinner sound amazing!!!
    well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

If you're doing Italian the perfect dessert would be Sicilian Orange Cake...served with just a dollop of creme fraiche.

I can't find the recipe right now, but will post later.

Advertisement