Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angry Atheist?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'd say God would be annoyed at the atheist's attempt at deception.

"DON'T YOU KNOW I'M OMNISCIENT!!!!?"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

kelly1 wrote: »
    But very pleasing in the eyes of God! :)

You think an atheist pretending to be a muslim praying would be pleasing to your god? :) He must be getting desperate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

DenMan wrote: »
    Almost 80,000 people in an arena showing respect for the players who died. Who is to say they are observing a religious event.

you misunderstand, i'm not saying it IS religious i'm saying it is LIKE it. Devout sports fans can be said to follow their team "religiously". This term comes from the fact they have a faith in their team, and have a lot of emotion tied to it (i.e. the get sad/angry when their team loses, whereas they get elated when their team wins)

Like I said I would stay silent at a football match, but more out of a fear that 80,000 emotionally charged football fans might take offense that I personally didn't agree with their particular brand of respect showing.

EDIT: It probably should be noted that I never have and never will spectate a sport. I much rather prefer playing sports than watching other people do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

But very pleasing in the eyes of God! :)

Ya in fairness kelly1 thats doesn't really do your point of view any favours.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

EDIT: It probably should be noted that I never have and never will spectate a sport. I much rather prefer playing sports than watching other people do it.
    Now that's just odd!

I can understand not watching sports which you don't compete in, but surely one of the joys of sports you do compete in is watching and learning from the best in world?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Malari wrote: »
    You think an atheist pretending to be a muslim praying would be pleasing to your god? :) He must be getting desperate!
    I said nothing about muslims or pretending and neither did the post I replied to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Malari wrote: »

Actually he'd be quite happy, since by Islamic tradition they are both the same god. (And the catholic church has also hinted at the same afaik)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

I said nothing about muslims or pretending and neither did the post I replied to.

How could an atheist NOT be pretending? Atheists are sort of restricted by the English language from doing it for real.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Dades wrote: »
    Now that's just odd!

I can understand not watching sports which you don't compete in, but surely one of the joys of sports you do compete in is watching and learning from the best in world?!

Ok this is getting way off the main topic, but I'll answer this to hopefully end it.

I'm not a professional athelete or anything, I never said I "compete". What I'm saying is if given the option of sitting and watching a game of football or going outside and kicking a ball around with some friends, I'd choose the latter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What I'm saying is if given the option of sitting and watching a game of football or going outside and kicking a ball around with some friends, I'd choose the latter.
    Me too, every time. :)

Good. Any more angry or relaxed atheists have anything to say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dades wrote: »

Good. Any more angry or relaxed atheists have anything to say?

It depends on whose playing...

I'm probably like most people. I can get angry, but i wouldn't say anger is my defining attribute. Neither would be atheism BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

1. Are you an angry atheist?
    2. Do you argue with believers and why, when you know any logical argument you make can be easily be refuted by the believer merely saying the word "faith"?
    3. Do you think it is the duty of an Atheist to reason with and convert the religious?

1. Yes, I am. Grr...:mad:
    2. I do, but only on the internet. Here if they want to they can ignore me, something harder to do in real life. In RL I prefer to get on with people and give the impression that atheists are no different from them (little do they know...:P).
    3. I think it is our duty to combat religious oppression, but not religion in general (that is optional). I also think that only by taking the Dawkins-Hitchens stance can this be done effectively. Believers outnumber us by 10 to 1 or more, and for every atheist there is a fundamentalist, so only by being voraciously loud, uncompromisingly aggressive and scathingly indifferent to their feelings can we hope to match their voice in politics and combat their world-view.

I don't care what people believe, provided they keep it to themselves. Sadly, it is never the case that they do this. Conservatism walks hand in hand with religion, and both are the friend of tyranny. It is no coincidence that, in general, the freest countries are also the least conservative/least religious, and places like Saudi Arabia are utterly totalitarian. The are of course exceptions. Some simple examples of how, in Ireland, other people's religion adversely affects my life are:

1. Abortion. If I fathered a child, I wouldn't have the legal right to an abortion in Ireland, because other people think an embroy has a soul and is equal to me.
    2. Education. My taxes go to fund religious schools. I don't care what people say, religion is taught as fact in schools, I remember clearly.
    3. Prudishness. I live a libertarian lifestyle. I never hurt anyone in any way, but I'm regularly attacked for doing the things I do, mainly because the bible says they're wrong.

This is just 3 reasons which affect me- there are many others which affect man in general.

Anyway, I'm getting myself worked up so I'll end with a foot note...yes, I'm angry. I feel like my life (and I've only got one) is constantly being infringed upon and condemned by others who have no business doing so. More than that, my heart goes out to the millions of people in other, less liberal countries who have it far, far worse than I, people who can be ostracised and even imprisioned or murdered for being like me-a person who doesn't believe in god.

Advertisement