Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derek Davis presenting Liveline..

• 14-08-2008 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

.."Joe is off for the next few weeks - I know - I'm as suprised as you.." (to be sitting here presenting Liveline)

Was it my imagination or didn't Derek Davis retire some months Live on the Late Late Show?

Did Joe get the boot from RTE, is he up in court or did he decide to take a snap hoilday - for all your comments the Lively Line is open.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

excellent news!!! i look forward to the next three weeks:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

imho: Derek has a nice voice and accent for radio, compare to Joe, he's a big improvment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He's the finest!

Mike.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Good man Derek and he's on form too. Juggled the nutters, the disgruntled and the self harmers with his usaul silky applomb. He's probably sitting back now with some minx in RTE giving him a good rub-down and de-brief as a team of Indonesian circus dwarves pull at his chubby fingers to release the soft gasses that'd gather deep in his bowels during the show.

Anyone know what's up with The Ombubser? Juggling triplets for Ireland in Peking?

[attempts to delete mental image]

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Duffy said nothing yesterday [130808] about being off.

Davis announces that he is as surprised as the rest of us that he is presenting Liveline.

What is the story ? Has something happened ?

BTW I am delighted to hear Davis as he is consistently excellent.

I am twice as delighted to hear that Damien O'Reilly is in China which is why we are not having to put up with him as a presenter as I just cannot take to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

mike65 wrote: »
    He's the finest!
    As was the trout.

It's like a breath of fresh air hearing him on the airwaves again. Loved his weekly columns on 5-7 Live.

I think 'writing' for the Sunday World has gone to Duffy's head; over the past year he's been getting more tabloidesque in trying to get a controversial response from people phoning-in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

:D I think its called ratings. He did a FINE job and imo a much better choice of replcement for joooooo duffffayyyy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

bbability wrote: »
    :D I think its called ratings. He did a FINE job and imo a much better choice of replcement for joooooo duffffayyyy.

+1 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Bogger77 wrote: »
    imho: Derek has a nice voice and accent for radio, compare to Joe, he's a big improvment.

In my opinion, both have no face for T.V., but I would prefer to hear Derek on radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

11 Posts in, and the references to physical appearances (Of radio presenters. On a radio related topic. On a radio forum) begin.

New record?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

humberklog wrote: »
    rub-down and de-brief as a team of Indonesian circus dwarves pull at his chubby fingers to release the soft gasses that'd gather deep in his bowels during the show.

yeah - lets knock that stuff on the head please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

...back to my original question, didn't Derek Davis retire from broadcasting some months ago and was even invited on to the LLS to announce it?

Has he been coaxed out of retirement to save the RTE Radio1 afternoon ratings from going under?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Delighted to hear "The Duffer" is on holls - not sure in what country he is spoiling peoples afternoons currently - both hopefully it's far away.

The "Big D" did indeed retire as an RTE Staffer some time ago - but of course is available for some lucrative freelance filling in as required when the "First Team" are away - It's called the old boys network.

Not that I'D grudge the "Big D" - he is a good broadcaster and way better that that hack Duffy.

I would question why RTE adopt this approach - instead of trying to nurture younger broadcasters - Even including RTE 2 the broadcasting age profile must be very high ?.

Good to hear that Damien O'R is over in China with the rest of the gang - hate to be signing off the expenses for that lot !!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Wasn't Joe Duffy already on holidays? Where the hell is he gone now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

janeybabe wrote: »
    Wasn't Joe Duffy already on holidays? Where the hell is he gone now?

hopefully far far away.

I had the pleasure of having a pint with Derek Davis a long time ago just after he was replaced by Marty Whelan on the Rose of Tralee festival. He was an absolute gentleman and can tell some great stories about working for RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I would question why RTE adopt this approach - instead of trying to nurture younger broadcasters - Even including RTE 2 the broadcasting age profile must be very high ?.
    Civil service mentality - don't take risks, keep your head down and cover your arse.

Has Joe Duffy run off with Derek Mooney, was there a secret liaison between them that we all never about ?. Seems very odd that the two of them have disappeared at the same time.

cover your arse.

I think that's the case in almost every profession/ job, not just the civil service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭FredBloggs

Did anyone get to the bottom of what happened to dear old Joe?

• Advertisement

I think Gaybo realised his error all those years ago and has made ammends (possibly with the assistance of a shovel)

I caught a few moments today when he was talking to some auld wan about a church that was due to be closed and I could hear him just waiting to end that chat. he even tried to liven things up by suggesting all that religious stuff was divisive anyway but alas she didn't bite.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I'm surprised at all the comments on here praising Derek Davis, I'm no fan of Joe Duffy, but I'd pick him any day over Davis. The way he builds up to an 'issue' and practically puts words in the callers mouths is very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I'm surprised at all the comments on here praising Derek Davis, I'm no fan of Joe Duffy, but I'd pick him any day over Davis. The way he builds up to an 'issue' and practically puts words in the callers mouths is very annoying.

Yep have to agree his performance last week talking about Leaving Cert students going ons in Crete last week was hilarious. 'This is disrgaceful, if it were working class kids there would be uproar-front of the newspapers'-well Derek you're kind of already doing that on your radio show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

themont85 wrote: »
    Yep have to agree his performance last week talking about Leaving Cert students going ons in Crete last week was hilarious. 'This is disrgaceful, if it were working class kids there would be uproar-front of the newspapers'-well Derek you're kind of already doing that on your radio show.

Have to say I believe DD is far superior to the Dufficer..listening to Liveline a few times last week was much pleasenter without that whining Ballyer accent to put up with.
    In my book Davis is the consumate broadcaster - easy on the ear (if not on the eye) relaxes people and lets THEM tell it as opposed to the more agressive style of the Dufficer.

For this type of radio to succeed and deliver high ratings a certain amount of controversy has to raised - it's the broadcasters skill in determining HOW this is done - without resorting to tabloid journalism tactics.

davis has this skill - Duffy most certainly has not .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Have to say I believe DD is far superior to the Dufficer..listening to Liveline a few times last week was much pleasenter without that whining Ballyer accent to put up with.
    In my book Davis is the consumate broadcaster - easy on the ear (if not on the eye) relaxes people and lets THEM tell it as opposed to the more agressive style of the Dufficer.

For this type of radio to succeed and deliver high ratings a certain amount of controversy has to raised - it's the broadcasters skill in determining HOW this is done - without resorting to tabloid journalism tactics.

davis has this skill - Duffy most certainly has not .

I dunno he was really encouraging the stereotypes of middle class Dublin on air, he kept going on about there 'Daddys' ect. Such things are unnecesary imo.

Advertisement