Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Had offer on my car is it too low?

Options
  • 14-08-2008 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

ive been offered 1,400 for my 00 peugot 206
    the part that the peugot needs is 600 euros and it needs new brakes and a service soon enough
    is that too little or is it ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

i think thats very low. they are going for more on:http://www.carzone.ie
    even with the part needed, how much mileage is on it??

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BlueDragon

theres 83,000 miles on it
    no tax no nct and the part needed is fairly expensive and it does need a service pretty soon and new brakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

minxie1 wrote: »
    they are going for more on:http://www.carzone.ie

Some are asking for more, it doesn't mean they are going for more. Some 00 206s are for sale at 2-3000, which is what this one will cost at €1400 + €600 + brakes and service + NCT.

Zube wrote: »
    Some are asking for more, it doesn't mean they are going for more. Some 00 206s are for sale at 2-3000, which is what this one will cost at €1400 + €600 + brakes and service + NCT.
    fair point.....didnt take that into consideration at all:o

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

Seems a bit low, but if your after a quick sale let her go

• Advertisement

ive been selling it for about 4 months but no1 seems to want to buy it without the nct on it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It all depends on what you want to do with it. If you already have another car and need to recoup money from this or simply don't have the money or inclination to get the car up to NCT standard, then sell, it might be a long time before you get another offer never mind a better offer. To get the best price possible you'll need to get all the work done which involves spending quite a bit of cash and by the time you find a buyer, there's no guarantee they will pay more than the €1400 + the cash required to sort it out. If it was me, I'd sell, either that or I'd probably try and source that part second hand, fit it myself and sort the brakes and servicing myself, but I don't get the impression you're into all that or you'd probably have it done already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

Fix it up, NCT it, put 2 months tax on it and sell it. I have a 1999 1.1lt one with 57,000 miles that I got in the north a few weeks ago. I registered it, NCT'd it, taxed it, put on a set of alloys and am getting the whole car colour coded (i.e. all black plastic bits). I'm looking for €3,300 and I have a few people interested already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

What's the 600euro part?

It's a buyers market, so do you want to sell or have it sitting there for another 4 months?

In fairness, no tax, no NCT and needs work done on it - you're not exactly in the drivers seat for this sale (no pun intended)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

minxie1 wrote: »
    i think thats very low. they are going for more on:http://www.carzone.ie
    even with the part needed, how much mileage is on it??
    They are asking for that amount - how many are being sold at that amount?
    Fix it up, NCT it, put 2 months tax on it and sell it. I have a 1999 1.1lt one with 57,000 miles that I got in the north a few weeks ago. I registered it, NCT'd it, taxed it, put on a set of alloys and am getting the whole car colour coded (i.e. all black plastic bits). I'm looking for €3,300 and I have a few people interested already :D
    You can't get 2 months tax.

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    They are asking for that amount - how many are being sold at that amount?

carzone is full of them so id say none at all:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Take the €1,400!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

Yea take the 1400, wont do much better, and if you do, could be waiting a while for a buyer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Take the €1400 and be rid of it, very difficult to sell any car in the current climate let alone one requiring €600 part and possibly other fixes to pass the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

surely you'd get a €1400 discount for a straight deal (no trade in) if you haggled?

i have allready bought another car,
    and im kind of broke at the moment hense the not being able to fix my car
    the parts are a wishbone and throttle sensor i think
    i think i might take the offer,

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

in that case, €1400 is more than acceptable.

im a bit annoyed was really hoping for 2 grand,
    the outside is perfect and not a scratch on her,
    was hoping to sell it to someone stupid enough to pay that much for her :(

Whats the 600euro part? Post up some pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

kbannon wrote: »
    Should be 3 months :D
    BlueDragon wrote: »
    the parts are a wishbone and throttle sensor i think
    Those two parts shouldn't cost more than €100 from a scrappy, well down here anyway. A monkey could change the throttle position sensor and anybody with a bit of car experience could change the wishbone. The only thing to watch out for would be the outer bottom ball joint.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't buy a 2nd hand wishbone - It could be bent an invisible to the naked eye. They're not expensive, i'd buy a new wishbone and balljoints etc. while I was at it. And i'd change the pair - at least you know they're good then.

What i'd ask is WHY does the wishbone need replacing? Did the car get a smack? Did you drive the wheel into something? Did it hit something hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭drver1

go in and tell him that you will do a deal a €2000, if he does'nt agree he meet you half way

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭drver1

sorry were you trading in, or just selling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

BlueDragon wrote: »
    ive been selling it for about 4 months but no1 seems to want to buy it without the nct on it

Ya should have stuck it in for the NCT. Without that, you're kind a pissin into the wind when it comes to selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

My girlfriend actually sold a Peugeot 206 with 84k miles (almost exact same as yours!) last week. She got €2,750 for it. It was NCT'd a couple of months ago but had no tax. It had nice alloys, bluetooth car kit and good stereo.

She had it for sale for around 4 or 5 months but was in no rush to sell it. She had very few viewings until she dropped the price to €3k but as soon as she dropped it to €3k 'with offers considered' she got 3 offers of €2,500 in the first week or so.

I'd take the €1400 if you can get that right now, if you spend €600 on the part needed and another €200ish on brakes and €50 on NCT you might still only make €2,500 which is an extra couple of hundred euro for a lot of hassle (plus the NCT might find some other fault that needs fixing)

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy a 2nd hand wishbone - It could be bent an invisible to the naked eye. They're not expensive, i'd buy a new wishbone and balljoints etc. while I was at it. And i'd change the pair - at least you know they're good then.

What i'd ask is WHY does the wishbone need replacing? Did the car get a smack? Did you drive the wheel into something? Did it hit something hard?
    i dunno how that happened,
    i drive down a lot of back roads which are...fairly bad, lots of potholes
    so probably from that
    im just selling it not trading it in,
    would try and sell it to a dealership but im told they dont take cars that are that old anymore?

i first told him i was selling it for 2,000 but he said it was too expensive i not offered to sell it for 1,600 hopefully hell accept im just waiting for his reply, hes at work i think,
    the cd player i have is a sony and very good, im thinking about taking it out and keeping it and selling it off myself and putting in a cheap cd player

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

I'd take his offer , into todays climate cars are very slow to sell . Besides with the NCT , you never know what it could throw up and end up costing you more in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Whatever he offers, €1,400 or above, take it. You could be sitting on it for a while otherwise.

Bird in the hand and all that...

If you don't sell it now, take it and NCT it.
    Don't fix your car for the NCT, NCT it and fix what you fail on.

Advertisement