Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Excuses given by speeders

Options
  • 14-08-2008 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

Police survey

In 2004 police in Northumbria did a survey of good drivers who had been 'unlucky' and caught by speed cameras ...

They said that people for some reason believe that they will be excused their fine if their behaviour is explained by a wild story.

They have compiled list of favourite excuses;

1) I passed out after seeing flashing lights, which I believed to be UFOs in the distance. The flash of the camera brought me round from my trance.

2) I was in the airport's flight path and I believe the camera was triggered by a jet overhead, not my car.

3) I had a severe bout of diarrhoea and had to speed to a public toilet.

4) There was a strong wind behind my car that pushed me over the limit.

5)I had to rush my dying hamster to the vet

6) I did not see the camera

7) My friend had just chopped his fingers off and I was rushing the fingers to hospital.

8)The vibrations from the surfboard I had on the roof rack set off the camera.

9)There was a suspected case of foot and mouth and I had to rush to see the cow concerned.

10)A violent sneeze caused a chain reaction where my foot pushed down harder on the accelerator.

11) The only way I could demonstrate my faulty clutch was to accelerate madly.

12) My foot slipped on the accelerator

13) My brakes did not respond as I approached the camera

I like the flightpath one :D I wonder how fast he was recorded at

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

nipplenuts wrote: »
    3) I had a severe bout of diarrhoea and had to speed to a public toilet.
    Thats a fairly common one, there was a politician in the uk who had that excuse iirc.
    13) My brakes did not respond as I approached the camera

roffles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Cionád wrote: »
    Thats a fairly common one, there was a politician in the uk who had that excuse iirc.

Wasn't it Alex Ferguson?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Onkle wrote: »
    Wasn't it Alex Ferguson?

Aye, that was it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Cop: oh, I've been waiting for you to come along all day !!!
    Driver: Well I got here as fast as I could

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The only honest answer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Cop: oh, I've been waiting for you to come along all day !!!
    Driver: Well I got here as fast as I could

Classic one alright.

Chief Wiggum - 'ok velocity boy.....'

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

7) My friend had just chopped his fingers off and I was rushing the fingers to hospital.
    Did he bring the friend aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

The one that always makes me laugh when I see it on Road Wars etc is.....

"I was just keeping up with the flow of traffic"

Last time I saw this one used on telly was some biker stopped doing about 110mph along the white line between the middle & outside lane on a m-way.

Keeping up with the traffic? Yeah right :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Not really camera related but WTH...

/newsflash....

A middle aged man was let off a speeding charge after being chased for 5 km...

The guy was clocked doing 160kmh on the motorway and failed to stop despite the Garda car chasing him with blue lights and siren on.

When he eventually stopped, the irate guard went to speak to him.

"Well sir, you were recorded doing 160kph in a 120kph zone and despite us chasing you for 5km, you failed to stop. You better give me a damn good reason for that behaviour unless you wish to receive a summons."

"Well Guard, It's like this. Six months ago, my missus of twenty years decided she'd had enough and so she upped and left me - for a Guard!!! My life just hasn't been the same since and when I saw you behind me I thought you were the one she ran away with."

"That's all very sad sir but I don't understand how that could be the reason you tried to outrun me."

"I thought you were trying to give her back...."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

friend of mine got caught (again).. learner too his answer was
    "sure am a learner are we not entitled to make mistakes" i mean wtf......:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Heres one that worked in the UK several years ago.
    A friend driving a Supra (with led speedo switchable between kmph and mph) to work everyday used to cover over 20 miles on motorway to Oxford in less than 12 minutes (do the maths)
    As was bound to happen, he was stopped one day.

Policeman - Do you realise what speed you were doing?
    Friend in broad Mayo accent. - No idea at all officer. You see my digital speedometer only shows in kilometres and I havent an idea what kilometres are.

Policeman - (totally exasperated with another of Irelands finest)
    Well you are a sh!t-bad judge of speed"

and let him off:eek:

Advertisement