Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay as you go toll -tolltag.ie

Options
  • 14-08-2008 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Just heard a tolltag.ie ad on the radio Mary Coughlan is doing it - brutal!:p but the tag she's advertising sounds really good for the casual user like myself. Rang up to get some info on the tag and they told me its just like topping up my mobile phone in any newsagents and I don't have to register my bank account details. As I far as I can see the other tags make you pay a minimum of €30 top up by direct debit from your account but this one you can just top up with €10 if you want when you want - dead handy seen as i don't use it all that much.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Just heard a tolltag.ie ad on the radio Mary Coughlan is doing it - brutal!:p but the tag she's advertising sounds really good for the casual user like myself. Rang up to get some info on the tag and they told me its just like topping up my mobile phone in any newsagents and I don't have to register my bank account details. As I far as I can see the other tags make you pay a minimum of €30 top up by direct debit from your account but this one you can just top up with €10 if you want when you want - dead handy seen as i don't use it all that much.
    Have to say, brutal and all as you might think the ad is, it did cause you to ring them up and caused me to check out their website today, so there's 2 proofs of its effectiveness. ;)

For the pay as you go option, for a casual user like me, it certainly seems like the biz. OK, there's a €30 upfront charge, but they do give you €4.40 free credit, which will get you through the M50 twice. After that, the 10% fee on the €2 charge on the M50 will make it cheaper than registering your number plate. Like all other tags, it's useable at all other toll plazas too, and credit on the tag doesn't expire. What's not to like?

Disclaimer: Neither I, nor anyone I know, works directly or indirectly for this crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

A 10% fee means that it's only cost effective if you use the toll plaza less than 5 times a month? Pretty good if so.
    Also, that would mean you use ALL the plazas less than 5 times a month. The price differential balances out - Kinnegad - 10% of €2.70 is 27c, 10% of the M1 plaza - 18c ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Yes, thats what I want to know because I use the belfast and cork roads at least once or twice a month. Therefore, if I have this tag do I pay 10% on all of these tolls as well - considering I can just put the money in the bucket and not pay extra.

Would i have to turn the tag off? As far as i know if you a tag on your window currently you can go through the M1 and M8 toll plaza anywhere and it will register. Therefore, the option of paying the cheaper toll is taken out of my hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Steviemak wrote: »
    Yes, thats what I want to know because I use the belfast and cork roads at least once or twice a month. Therefore, if I have this tag do I pay 10% on all of these tolls as well - considering I can just put the money in the bucket and not pay extra.

Would i have to turn the tag off? As far as i know if you a tag on your window currently you can go through the M1 and M8 toll plaza anywhere and it will register. Therefore, the option of paying the cheaper toll is taken out of my hands!

If you are going to be using the tag more than 6 times a month then it makes more sense to lease it, at an admin cost of €1.21 - this is the same cost as some of the other providers when made VAT inclusive AFAIK. In this case there is no 10% surcharge, you just pay the standard toll at any of the toll plazas. You do need to keep your account in the black with tolltag.

But I only use the M50 about 3 times a month therefore the Tolltag is the best value for that at €2.20 each time. I want the tolltag for m50 but not other roads.

I just wonder will i be penalised for using the Toll tag at other toll roads when unlike the M50 there is no difference in prices charged to users.

• Advertisement

You just said you use some of the other tolls at least once a month. If you sign up for their lease option you are charged €2 for using the M50 toll and no surcharge for any of the other tolls. Basically if you are spending more than €12 a month on tolls, the 10% surcharge option is not the right one for you.

You just said you use some of the other tolls at least once a month. If you sign up for their lease option you are charged €2 for using the M50 toll and no surcharge for any of the other tolls. Basically if you are spending more than €12 a month on tolls, the 10% surcharge option is not the right one for you.

For example (i know its not much money but the M50 tolls do my nut and i refuse to give them anymore of my money)

Option 1

No tag (yes video reg)

3 M50 = 7.50
    4 M8 = 7.20
    4 M1 = 7.20

Total = 21.90

Option 2

Tag

3 M50 = 6.00
    4 M8 = 7.20
    4 M1 = 7.20

Charge 1.21

Total = 21.61

Option 3

TollTag

3 M50 = 6.60
    4 M8 = 7.20 (assuming I use bucket)
    4 M1 = 7.20 (assuming I use bucket)

Total = 21.00

Therefore, if toll tag don't charge me extra for m8 and m1 it is the cheapest option.

I think i'll just go for the eflow tag!! The tolltag is a scam if they over charge on other toll booths

I think that a tag takes preference over cash at any booth (have seen signs at one of the plazas stating that any booth can accept a tag), in which case the tolltag will always kick in, with its extra charge, so you would be paying an extra €2.88 in the scenario you give below, making this the most expensive option.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think that a tag takes preference over cash at any booth (have seen signs at one of the plazas stating that any booth can accept a tag), in which case the tolltag will always kick in, with its extra charge, so you would be paying an extra €2.88 in the scenario you give below, making this the most expensive option.

Keep a tin foil wrapper handy for those occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭iwudluvit

Does the eazypass still work?

if it does, why don't people sign up to that instead?

• Advertisement

Keep a tin foil wrapper handy for those occasions.

I believe that the original packaging is RF proof as well, otherwise it may register as it is being delivered to you, via a toll road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Originally posted by Steviemak: Therefore, if toll tag don't charge me extra for m8 and m1 it is the cheapest option.

Unlikely. I'd say you will be charged the 10% surcharge for all tolls with the Tolltag pay as you go option.

E.g. M1 and M8 Tolls: €1.80 + 10% (€1.98). M4 Toll: €2.70 + 10% (€2.97).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Here is a good article on the various options:

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/m50-toll-comparison-of-prices-and-options.html

They need a price comparison site like the comreg callcost.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Therefore, if toll tag don't charge me extra for m8 and m1 it is the cheapest option.

I think i'll just go for the eflow tag!! The tolltag is a scam if they over charge on other toll booths

How is it a scam? They make their money off the commission, did you seriously think they were going to charge it on just one road?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What is really needed is a website where you can just put in what your expected annual usage of the M50 toll and other tolls is and let it calculate the cheapest options for you.

Can't be too difficult .. you could probably even make a spreadsheet for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 philiph

Scam? ouch!!

You can 'upgrade' the account without penalty to lease option, so you have the option to pay less if you are just an occasional user and the option to put a ceiling on it (move to lease) if you are not.

We put tolltag out there because in our view there was no really usable option out there for light medium users, either lease it and pay whether you use it or not or just run around looking for a shop to pay a 25-50% surcharge in. That in my view is punitive in the extreme.

Yes we have to make a living but who doesn't huh?

/P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

philiph wrote: »
    13 different options! It's worse than trying to order a pizza in the USA with 8 different crusts, 5 different kinds of cheese, 3 different kinds of sauce etc. .. I just want a damn pizza for God's sake!

I know that the modern perception is that lots of consumer choice is a 'good thing' but why on earth someone thought having 6 different providers for something as mundane as a toll tag was actually a good idea is a mystery to me.

Alun wrote: »
    13 different options! It's worse than trying to order a pizza in the USA with 8 different crusts, 5 different kinds of cheese, 3 different kinds of sauce etc. .. I just want a damn pizza for God's sake!

I know that the modern perception is that lots of consumer choice is a 'good thing' but why on earth someone thought having 6 different providers for something as mundane as a toll tag was actually a good idea is a mystery to me.

Yup, would you like fries with that? regular or large? someone did ask for a compare site, that is the NRA's one. I fully agree with you, we have three options and thats it, like you say it's just a tolltag

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

The tolltag.ie purchase charge of €30 is not listed on that moneyguide website. That is prohibitive for someone like me who only uses the M50 (and other toll booths) maybe 10 times a year.

Video reg looks good for very infrequent users. BUT, will video reg only work on the M50? ie. we'll then need cash on the other toll booths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...chances are it`s a duck.

The same logic can be applied to scams...and this particular area of West Dublin has been a veritable Area 51 for them !!! :o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Patrickof wrote: »
    The tolltag.ie purchase charge of €30 is not listed on that moneyguide website. That is prohibitive for someone like me who only uses the M50 (and other toll booths) maybe 10 times a year.

Video reg looks good for very infrequent users. BUT, will video reg only work on the M50? ie. we'll then need cash on the other toll booths.

The www.moneyguideireland site doesn't mention the 30 euro purchase fee because there isn't one on the account they are talking about. Tolltag have 3 options - one of which is a free tag and 10% admin fee. That is the best option for lower volume users of the M50.

philiph wrote: »
    Scam? ouch!!

You can 'upgrade' the account without penalty to lease option, so you have the option to pay less if you are just an occasional user and the option to put a ceiling on it (move to lease) if you are not.

We put tolltag out there because in our view there was no really usable option out there for light medium users, either lease it and pay whether you use it or not or just run around looking for a shop to pay a 25-50% surcharge in. That in my view is punitive in the extreme.

Yes we have to make a living but who doesn't huh?

/P

Why do toll tag over charge on M1, M4, M8 toll booths? You can use cash to pay on these so why would I pay more to use the tolltag? Tolltag gets its commission by over charging by 20c on the M50, a option that people will use only because without a tag it costs more. I would use tolltag if it didn't penalise me for using other tolls. I think people should beware. Tolltag is only good value if you don't plan on using ANY toll road more than 5 - 6 times a month.

So commuters that use M1, M4, M8 and east link should avoid Tolltag if they don't want to be ripped off.

They charge commission on those roads because they make their money off commission rather than a service fee. ALL other tag operators charge a service fee no matter what roads you use.

Why the hell do Irish people have this attitude that everyones on the take? (admittedly, our ruling party hasn't helped this...)

Why do toll tag over charge on M1, M4, M8 toll booths? You can use cash to pay on these so why would I pay more to use the tolltag? Tolltag gets its commission by over charging by 20c on the M50, a option that people will use only because without a tag it costs more. I would use tolltag if it didn't penalise me for using other tolls. I think people should beware. Tolltag is only good value if you don't plan on using ANY toll road more than 5 - 6 times a month.

So commuters that use M1, M4, M8 and east link should avoid Tolltag if they don't want to be ripped off.

As I told you about a page back in this thread.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

MYOB wrote: »
    They charge commission on those roads because they make their money off commission rather than a service fee. ALL other tag operators charge a service fee no matter what roads you use.
    Exactly. If you want to use and tag and if you don't want to pay a service fee, then you'll have to pay commission. It's as simple as that. If you don't want to use a tag, then, for the M50, you'll have to register your number plate and pay a commission of 25% for the privilege.

So, for Tag use it's a simple comparison. Service charge or commission. If you're only an occassional user then it seems to me that commission is better (why pay a service charge for a service you're not using?). And I don't think that 10% is excessive. Of course, if there's an opportunity there, it is up to another provider to use the commission model and charge a lower percentage.

Its the charging commission for a service that is cheaper if you didn't have the tag in the 1st place that I have a problem with.

Eg. Who would use a Clubcard if the following applied

Buy Milk in Tesco's with out clubcard 70c

Buy Milk in Tesco's with Clubcard 77c

Why have a clubcard?

anotherlostie - I agree. I was just spelling it out to people in case users of other toll roads other than the M50 were considering TollTag.

TollTag is only good value for occassional m50 users who never want to use any other toll road. And as toll roads increase in number it becomes a very poor option.

If I used the port tunnell it could cost €13.20 with TollTag

That is correct for our Pay As You Toll options. It is not however correct and a complete generalisation to say TollTag as a whole is only good for the occasional M50 user. We also offer a regular lease option tolltag so it seems to me we are guilty of providing a wider choice than our competitors.

You could equally apply the generalisation to, say, video tolling if it worked on roads other than the M50 (which it doesnt). Because eflow operate it you could then generalise that eflow is only good for the M50 at a 25-50% premium. Not true since eflow also offer lease only tags.

Tolltag are simply a payment company that offers a facility to people to have a payment option that suits them and is more convenient for them, We don't make people pay the toll or set the toll or have anything to do with that (thankfully:)). If our options "pay as you toll" don't suit someone, and I don't expect they suit everyone, then there are choices, lease (only) a tag from us or indeed elsewhere or go video. In every case there is a choice for the consumer to make. For us we tried to provide an option to suit most pricepoints and distilled it down to three options.

For these options whichever one you choose, there is, as with every other payment provider, and indeed every other business a price for the service.

Of course I can accept that the Pay As you Toll option is not for everyone, thats why we have three products and we allow customer to move as their needs change.

Cant say straighter than that really, I'm all for healthy debate but ...balance!

Fair enough I was referring to your products that charge 10% commission on every toll.

Those products are totally unsuitable for cars that use other toll roads and customers may not realise they are paying more. Its not clear from your website. All examples you have refer to the m50. Why not have a m8 example?

Toll Tag have a very clever strategy with the 10% commission that on average will probably generate a lot more than €1.20 per user monthly.

Why don't you produce a M50 tag only. This would be a much more beneficial product for everybody as it stops consumers being over charged at other tolls.

• Advertisement

ALL tags add a fee to the cost of your toll. It may be 61c after VAT divided across 10+ toll journeys a month like me - e.g. 6c a toll, or it may be 10%. So your argument about having to pay for the service is pretty much null and void - you have to pay for the advantage of not faffing with change - or getting a 33% discount on the M50.

All tolltags must work on all tolls. Complain to the NRA about this if you want, because its their rule.

To add - the tolltag.ie transponder appears to be identical to the eTrip one (the unit, that is). This is easily, very easily removable from its holder and is also highly unidirectional. If its in your glovebox it will NOT set off the M1/M4/M8 gates - in fact, if its facing in to the car on the rearview it won't set off the M4 despite this being the way most people fit them... you could just take it off and throw it in the glovebox; put it back on for the M50 if you're *that* worried about 27c.

Advertisement