Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay as you go toll -tolltag.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

MYOB wrote: »
    ALL tags add a fee to the cost of your toll. It may be 61c after VAT divided across 10+ toll journeys a month like me - e.g. 6c a toll, or it may be 10%. So your argument about having to pay for the service is pretty much null and void - you have to pay for the advantage of not faffing with change - or getting a 33% discount on the M50.

What 33% discount is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I`m befuddled by all of this rush to get in line to pay tolls business.....:)

Can somebody remind me what exactly a car owner pays Road Tax for...as in what service(s) are provided by the State (inter alia,it`s Local Authorities and agencies such as....the NRA..) for that sum of money...:confused:

I could well add the Vehicle Registration Tax to the same question....but I`m becomin fatigued ...I need some anti-scam medication...:eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

I`m befuddled by all of this rush to get in line to pay tolls business.....

Can somebody remind me what exactly a car owner pays Road Tax for...as in what service(s) are provided by the State (inter alia,it`s Local Authorities and agencies such as....the NRA..) for that sum of money...

I could well add the Vehicle Registration Tax to the same question....but I`m becomin fatigued ...I need some anti-scam medication...
    Your car tax ,the VRT as well as every other tax go into the cash pool of the Dept. of Finance where it is then redistributed to the various other departments etc... as seen fit by the Minister of Finance.

The Government has stated many times before that part of the funding for Transport 21 programme (DART expansion, Metro Tram, Luas, WRC etc...) will come from Tolls. (Approx €2b)

So pretty please, with sugar on top, kill that ancient and dead argument. Its a bit tiring. :o

So to sum it up, your car tax helps run the Health, Education etc... as well as;
    • Pay the Government's wages which includes their expensive suits.
    • It also pays the wages for the highly efficient public sector.
    • It pays for the minister's to be chauffeur driven down bus lanes in a new Mercedes.
    • It pays for Minister's to be air lifted to a pub opening by the Air Corps.
    • It also pays for a first class airline ticket for a minister to go see the Beijing Olympics when the Irish athletes go economy.
    • It also pays for the Taoiseach to live in a grand house and grounds which was fully restored with the help of your car tax.
    • It helps multi millionaires to pay either very little of no tax

I think I can go for ever here. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tarabuses wrote: »
    What 33% discount is this?

20%, sorry, calculated the percentage backwards. 50c off €2.50.

20%, sorry, calculated the percentage backwards. 50c off €2.50.

But the current toll IS €2. The €2.50 or €3 tolls are premium charges to encourage us to use tags. Even with a tag there is an additional cost on top of the €2 - there is no way of crossing the Westlink at today's price once the barrier free system commences.

There is no dicount:confused:

• Advertisement

The cheapest toll available if you use an M50-specific method of payment is €2.50. The tag is €2. How is that not a discount off the M50-specific toll?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The cheapest toll available if you use an M50-specific method of payment is €2.50. The tag is €2. How is that not a discount off the M50-specific toll?
    But it's not €2 is it .. it's €2 plus the %age account fee or the monthly fee / cost of tag divided by however many trips you make (per month). For very occasional users such as myself, it's impossible to get that down to anywhere near €2.

Because the toll today is €2 not €2.50. For you to be asked to pay any more at the end of the month is an increase.

Its an increase in the price of the toll for those who are paying by M50-specific methods, hence it is a discount off this price for those that pay by tags.

It`s interesting that this "Discount" principle can be grasped so firmly by all subscribers to this "Toll Frenzy" yet the same Government sponsored agencies are totally discombobulated when it comes to applying the same principle to pre-paid Bus Travel. :eek:

The Department of Transport forces Dublin Bus to cling to an antedeluvian Cash Fare transaction regeime which is causing far more delays than any other single outside influence....Offer a subatantial discount for Pre-Paid Smart Card tickets..NEVER !! Introduce a Flat or Zonal Fare....NO !!!

Smells funny to me....... :P

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't see myself as a 'subscriber to a toll frenzy' based on having had a tag for as long as I've been driving due to being an impatient fecker more than anything. 5 seconds at a toll is 5 seconds of my life I'll not have back...

Its an increase in the price of the toll for those who are paying by M50-specific methods, hence it is a discount off this price for those that pay by tags.

Well I'm sorry MYOB but I cannot accept that paying the current price in the future is a discount. Are you saying that the M50 toll has been increased to €2.50? If so, why isn't there an outcry about the second increase this year?:confused:

The M50 toll for those that pay by M50-specific methods will be (at least) €2.50. Take from that what you want.

Yup MYOB,and what I am taking from it is quite simple...

A desire to teach a lesson to those who dared raise a voice against what the original M50-Westlink project actually turned into which was little more than a barely disguised piece of pillaging and plundering in the style of Captain Blackbeard.

With perhaps only Senator Shane Ross as the only public representative to do a bit of digging on the entire NRA/NTR collusive contract,the "ordinary" citizen has been coralled into paying this Political Levy since the West Link "Facility" opened (lovely descriptive term.....it certainly "facilitated" NTR and its beneficial owners).

Now as we progress into C21 it has become obvious that oul gates,barriers and expensive human operators are gettin in the way of PROFIT and some new way has to be found to shiv the general public..and boy is it a good one !!!

The manner in which this project gets off the ground is being watched closely by the portly men-in-suits with the sound of hands rubbing together with glee in the background....:)

No talk of a % rebate of Motor Taxation for the heavy Toll-Payer..? Hmmmm no of course not..,silly me that would be SO difficult to administer would`nt it....?

These rebate things would be overly complex...and inefficient etc etc...?

You can indeed fool all of the people all of the time......the only thing required is one very HARD neck....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

AlekSmart wrote: »
    You can indeed fool all of the people all of the time......the only thing required is one very HARD neck....:eek:
    Anything that raises more funds from the motorist to fund public transport projects is to be welcomed from my opinion. Personally I would have preferred an increase in fuel levies but we're getting some of that increase already thanks to international wholesale prices.
    I've said it again and again on this forum, spending over 70cent of in EVERY euro raised on health, education, social welfare and justice is slowly crippling us:mad:
    Transport expenditure accounts for only five cent approx in every euro paid in your taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Expect the law to be very strict on number plates in the near future. One of the teething problems mentioned by the NRA was the legibility of plates, some have mounting bolts between numbers and letters that could give a false reading. The NCT and DOE will no doubt be handed out a mandate on how these plates should be mounted (probably over looked in the past) and will be an extra thing to have to sort out at the next test.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Because the toll today is €2 not €2.50. For you to be asked to pay any more at the end of the month is an increase.
    At present commercial users can claim the VAT back.

If this is not possible later then it will represent another increase of 21% for commercial users, and let's not forget that the price was rounded up for the euro change over and rounded up when VAT was added.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But the current toll IS €2. The €2.50 or €3 tolls are premium charges to encourage us to use tags. Even with a tag there is an additional cost on top of the €2 - there is no way of crossing the Westlink at today's price once the barrier free system commences.

There is no dicount:confused:
    Why can't we cut out the middle man and pay the government directly ??

Expect the law to be very strict on number plates in the near future. One of the teething problems mentioned by the NRA was the legibility of plates, some have mounting bolts between numbers and letters that could give a false reading. The NCT and DOE will no doubt be handed out a mandate on how these plates should be mounted (probably over looked in the past) and will be an extra thing to have to sort out at the next test.

NCT has *always* had rules on plates - I had to change mine for it as I had "donegal standard" (you try getting plates up there that aren't bold with no dashes, I dare ya...) and these would have been a test failure. Mounting is included, the bolt heads must not detract from the readability (e.g. white on backgrounds, black on text).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

NCT has *always* had rules on plates - I had to change mine for it as I had "donegal standard" (you try getting plates up there that aren't bold with no dashes, I dare ya...) and these would have been a test failure. Mounting is included, the bolt heads must not detract from the readability (e.g. white on backgrounds, black on text).
    More so now, particularly in some country DOE centres that have a reputation for overlooking problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

To get back to tolltag, I received mine in the post today, and while you adhere the device to the windscreen, the tag can be detached, and presumably locked away so you don't have to use it when travelling the other tolled roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Aye, also expect legislation to define an actual FONT to use and the type of material the plate is to be made of. The current law does not specify a font type-just character s/w dimensions IIRC.

In virtually every other developed country the number plates must use a particular font.

At present commercial users can claim the VAT back.

If this is not possible later then it will represent another increase of 21% for commercial users, and let's not forget that the price was rounded up for the euro change over and rounded up when VAT was added.

Who issues the VAT invoice if you use a tag?

Who issues the VAT invoice if you use a tag?

Tag operator.

To get back to tolltag, I received mine in the post today, and while you adhere the device to the windscreen, the tag can be detached, and presumably locked away so you don't have to use it when travelling the other tolled roads.

Yeah, it can - is it the same model as shown on their website? If so, its extremely directional, and throwing it in the glovebox will ensure its entirely invisble to readers on other roads (eTrip use the same device). Even putting it on the dash is likely to make the M4 unable to read it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Yeah, it is the type of tag as displayed on their home page, so I guess travelling on the M4 will see me back paying at the booth like before with the tag safely in the glovebox!

murphaph wrote: »
    In virtually every other developed country the number plates must use a particular font.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OCR-A_font

Too hard for humans to make out at the scene of a hit and run, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FE-Schrift

Tag operator.

And will they issue a VAT invoice for every user?

• Advertisement

OCR-B is much better, it's also the standard font used on machine readable passports.

Advertisement