Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay as you go toll -tolltag.ie

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tarabuses wrote: »
    And will they issue a VAT invoice for every user?

Call them and ask. I only have a single user account.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

OCR-B is much better, it's also the standard font used on machine readable passports.
    Shhhh !
    I was hoping they would pick a font that would make things a little more difficult for themselves. ;)

Shhhh !
    I was hoping they would pick a font that would make things a little more difficult for themselves. ;)

No problem, I'm sure they'll find one of the most difficult to read to use ;)

edit this one
    550px-MICR.svg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Hi,

Does anyone know if Tolltag provide an online statment for users? I.e when the person used their tag, the price, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

To get back to tolltag, I received mine in the post today, and while you adhere the device to the windscreen, the tag can be detached, and presumably locked away so you don't have to use it when travelling the other tolled roads.

I received mine in the post today. Quick enough seeing as I only ordered it last week. One thing though that has annoyed me. A little leaflet with instructions. And it is little and so is the writing. Going to need a magnifiying glass to read it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

Realistically the toll has risen to €3.

By using any of the tags or the video option is really the discount that was refered to before, as the M50 toll has increased by %50: €2 - €3. The €3 euro being for people who do not have a tag or account. Get a tag or account and pay less = discount for bulk use

If a toll is a charge for a service, no matter how often used, then any forigner or person who will only ever use the M50 ONCE in their life, uses the M50 today only pays €2 but if that same person went to use it their once and only time next week it would be €3, as one can not expect them to set up an account or buy a tag for one trip and they would post pay the €3 toll

I still am not sure which option to go with. Good find on the tagcompare.ie though.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Realistically the toll has risen to €3.

You say this in such a matter of fact way that it seems only natural that the toll should increase by 50% - the second increase this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Yep Tarabuses,I think it a form of punchdrunkenness which has afflicted us all.

Incredible to see and hear all the plain people jostling to line up and pay in the approved manner....50% More than last year...way-to-go baby,bring it on yeahhhh :)

Picture of the day from todays Irish Independent business section has to be the big happy beaming smile on the face of Jim Deignan,MD of Payzone Ireland
    (A company fully recovered,one hopes from recent unpleasantness)
    as he ponders his companys great good fortune in getting involved with such a great public spirited venture as helping to keep the country moving.... :):):)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

And will they issue a VAT invoice for every user?
    MYOB wrote: »
    Tag operator.

Have you read this, MYOB?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...477437745.html - business customers will be paying 21% extra before the new management fee because they won't be able to claim back the VAT anymore. And the price was rounded up when VAT was added and when the euro came in.

There will be NO VAT invoice invoiced because there is no VAT included in the toll in future. However, the price does not reduce. The whole amount will be pocketed by the NRA. So much for your discount theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

Can anyone explain how to place the tag on the windscreen?

It looks like the tolltag logo should face outwards, but it can only be placed the other way around.....im confused:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

No. The Tolltag logo faces upright towards you. Its the only way it can be mounted properly on the windscreen. It says it in the instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dublinhead

This is one way around not having to pay tolls!

http://gmy.news.yahoo.com/v/9598229

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

dublinhead wrote: »
    This is one way around not having to pay tolls!

http://gmy.news.yahoo.com/v/9598229
    I have seen these fitted to high powered motorbikes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Wonders exactly how many trips across the M50 toll bridge it would take to buy back the cost of such a device.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dublinhead

MYOB wrote: »
    ALL tags add a fee to the cost of your toll. It may be 61c after VAT divided across 10+ toll journeys a month like me - e.g. 6c a toll, or it may be 10%. So your argument about having to pay for the service is pretty much null and void - you have to pay for the advantage of not faffing with change - or getting a 33% discount on the M50.

All tolltags must work on all tolls. Complain to the NRA about this if you want, because its their rule.

To add - the tolltag.ie transponder appears to be identical to the eTrip one (the unit, that is). This is easily, very easily removable from its holder and is also highly unidirectional. If its in your glovebox it will NOT set off the M1/M4/M8 gates - in fact, if its facing in to the car on the rearview it won't set off the M4 despite this being the way most people fit them... you could just take it off and throw it in the glovebox; put it back on for the M50 if you're *that* worried about 27c.

I travelled the M4 on sunday with my tolltag in the glovebox inside the envelope in which it came and it opened the toll gate. I checked online and my account had been debited. So not to sure what you are talking about here with " highly unidirectional"

Try a biscuit tin next time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have you read this, MYOB?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...477437745.html - business customers will be paying 21% extra before the new management fee because they won't be able to claim back the VAT anymore. And the price was rounded up when VAT was added and when the euro came in.

There will be NO VAT invoice invoiced because there is no VAT included in the toll in future. However, the price does not reduce. The whole amount will be pocketed by the NRA. So much for your discount theories.

??? Theres VAT on every other toll road, of which there are two in Dublin alone - its very rare for people to use the M50 and no other tollroads, meaning there is still a need for - and you will still be able to get VAT invoices.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 philiph

Steviemak wrote: »
    For example (i know its not much money but the M50 tolls do my nut and i refuse to give them anymore of my money)

Option 1

No tag (yes video reg)

3 M50 = 7.50
    4 M8 = 7.20
    4 M1 = 7.20

Total = 21.90

Option 2

Tag

3 M50 = 6.00
    4 M8 = 7.20
    4 M1 = 7.20

Charge 1.21

Total = 21.61

Option 3

TollTag

3 M50 = 6.60
    4 M8 = 7.20 (assuming I use bucket)
    4 M1 = 7.20 (assuming I use bucket)

Total = 21.00

Therefore, if toll tag don't charge me extra for m8 and m1 it is the cheapest option.

I think i'll just go for the eflow tag!! The tolltag is a scam if they over charge on other toll booths

Hi,

Ouch thats a bit unfair!! Tolltag also offer a flat rate tolltag just like any other toll operator in the country. You pay 1.21 (because we don't have the luxury of being VAT exempt..if you like the state are surcharging you if you choose to exercise your right to buy from a private operator) and you pay no additional charges on any plaza including the M50 plus we also have the lowest minimum topup of all operators AFAIK, 20euro.

To follow your logic to it's natural conclusion, cheapest route, assuming you cannot reclaim VAT, then perhaps an eflow tag is best at 1 euro, mind you you have to shell out more per topup than with us..so would you rather it 'resting' in your pocket our theirs? additionally, the tag has some fetching 'soviet' styling imho..but thats just me..perhaps its a government thing

The whole idea behind our pay As You go tag was to provide an OPTION for people who didn't want a minimum balance commitment, didn't want the hassle of running around looking for somewhere to pay and pay dearly, would look after them in the event of misreads false video reads etc. For that we ask 20c or if you like split the 1euro (or 50c) saving 80-20 and relieve you of the headache and trust me it is, we take hundreds of calls weekly from people wasting their valuable time trying to beat the penalty clock. That time in anyones book is worth more than 20c

Our Pay As you Toll service has the lowest topup of all, just 10euro and is available in over 2000 retail outlets nationwide if you wish to avoid using your laser to topup which incidentally the bank will charge you something approaching 20c to do usually, if you are in the place where you don't pay off your credit card on the nail (like me) you get to pay something a lot bigger.

Additionally we offer all customers a hassle free upgrade to other account types should their usage patterns or circumstances change.

So, not only do we offer the same 'vanilla' pony up front, sign up with your credit/debit card toll system as all of the others but we offer a wide range of options not offered by any of the others and the freedom for you to choose and rechoose if you wish. All of our options are straight up and forthright on our website (have a look) , I think it's a little OTT and biased to penalise us for offering options to people

If none of what we have to offer is for you, then so be it, baskets it is but it is wholly inaccurate to describe our products as a 'ripoff'. I invite any reader of these posts to go to our website and then any of the others and compare like with like. The main ones would be e-trip, easypass (now owned by e-trip), eflow. All of the plaza operators also offer tags, M1, M4, direct route, DPT (is a OEM'ed e-trip tag)

Incidentally, to stop your tag reading, stick it in a anti static bag, you can pick one up in Maplins or their ilk for a few cent..job done, no tag reads

/P

Advertisement