Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average speeds on a spin

Options
  • 14-08-2008 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

What is your average

Average Speed 59 votes

< 20 KPH
    0%
    22 KPH
    6%
    Chips LovellTrotterjesus_thats_grejimmycrackcorm 4 votes
    24 KPH
    6%
    fletchkincsemstufDurtyMurty 4 votes
    26 KPH
    22%
    Civilian_TargetDirkVoodoofish-headbeansmloc123DeepBlueilovelamp2000Andrewf20dmigsyTinyExplosionsCaroline_ieCunningStuntFion_McCool 13 votes
    28 KPH
    23%
    GavinDrapperSneaky_RussiandohouchmcgratheoinratsamPj!supertrampbwardropNeedabikeSeaswimmerDBCycctrallying'68 Fastback 14 votes
    30 KPH
    15%
    Aeposcunnins4Funkyzeitmkdon05Danbo!jwwie72hundredBilly Whizzajk24 9 votes
    32 KPH
    16%
    StarkCollumboThomas_S_HuntersonhunnymonsterDirk GentlycrashoveroidshapezKillgore Troutsportbilly2008Freddy687 10 votes
    34 KPH
    3%
    showryrp 2 votes
    36 KPH
    3%
    tunneydigitalage 2 votes
    38 KPH
    1%
    blorg 1 vote
    40 KPH
    0%
    >40 KPH
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Would have thought it would vary a fair bit dependent on how hilly the terrain is, wind, etc. My last spin over the Sally Gap was on a very windy day, just cycling out along Bohernabreena was a lot more effort because of the wind.

As someone else was saying recently in another thread, heart-rate may be a better guide for improvement. I've taken to timing myself over certain well known parts of routes, certain climbs etc, where wind is less of a factor. I'm also trying to avoid getting hung up on stats, trying to aim for general overall improvement, amd most importantly, enjoying it :D

Edit: just noticed this is a poll. Kind of impossible to give an average unless it's on a clearly defined type of ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

38 KPH
    OK, I picked 36km/h on the basis of my best ever average over a non-trivial distance (20km+)

Spins over Sally Gap etc. I am eh a bit slower.

As lukester points out it is difficult to compare due to conditions.

I'm sure you'll find some guys who have sustained 40km/h+ over significant distances racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

30 KPH
    My best ever was 37.21kph for 16km.... (10 mile time trial). Dunno how that rates amongst my peers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

How long is a piece of string?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

26 KPH
    kenmc wrote: »

On average, 26cm for certain values of string

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

On average, 26cm for certain values of string

How thick is the string? :pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

22 KPH
    Raam wrote: »
    How thick is the string? :pac:

Yes, girth rather than length is the vital statistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

28 KPH
    el tonto wrote: »
    Yes, girth rather than length is the vital statistic.

Ah, String Theory, one of my favourites.

p.s. I picked my average speed through town. Which is a bollix from all the slowing and starting at lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

28 KPH
    Hmmmm - maybe I am too inexperienced on the bike (only at it about 6/8 weeks, but I have noticed that regardless of conditions, I seem to have the same average speed on my spins - 26km/h. This would include my typical 30kroute to my longest jaunt of 80k and everything in between. Average about 4 outings per week.

As I say, I haven't been at this long enough to have tried particularly varied terrain or conditions...

*Edit*

...although I feel pretty well versed in cycling in the rain after the past fortnight!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

30 KPH
    I took 28kph as the average of my average spins.

Lower for hilly/windy conditions, higher on better days obviously. And much higher for riding in a group.

• Advertisement

When I started out it was around 24, 25kph on longer spins. Nowadays it's more like 30 - 32kph. I'm not great on the flat or into the wind. And come to think of it, I'm not that hot on the downhills either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

How can you pick your average speed?? As stated windy days and more hilly routes would affect things hugely!

How can you pick your average speed?? As stated windy days and more hilly routes would affect things hugely!

Based on doing the same route over and over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

28 KPH

Personally - At the end of each cycle I review the data from my cycle computer, which gives the average speed for the trip. I've noticed that I am pretty consistent at about 26km/h

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

26 KPH
    My last average speed on a very wet and hilly route to the 'Stones was 24km/h and I only got a computer last week, so it was my first time monitoring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

My average along a fairly long piece of string uphill, into the wind is about twice as slow as my average in the other direction. Sheep on the road tend to lower the average, wool fibres in the air make it more dense and harder to cycle through. I find I have to clean the wool off my tyres too, although this makes for a nice cushioned descent.

But I mean I vary my route every time I go out - for example I went out to Laragh last weekend into a strong headwind the whole way out and got back with an avg of 27.5km/h. Without that same headwind I reckon that would've been easily over 30km/h. Not that I'm about to go and make my brain bleed doing the exact same 110km route 10 times over to make sure, but you can see just how much of a difference conditions can make.

lukester wrote: »
    My average along a fairly long piece of string uphill, into the wind is about twice as slow as my average in the other direction. Sheep on the road tend to lower the average, wool fibres in the air make it more dense and harder to cycle through. I find I have to clean the wool off my tyres too, although this makes for a nice cushioned descent.

If X is the first piece of string and Y is the second with sheep mixed in, give me Z with nylon fibres substituted in for the wool fibres.

Not that I'm about to go and make my brain bleed doing the exact same 110km route 10 times over to make sure, but you can see just how much of a difference conditions can make.

Agreed. Over the months/years you can see and feel that your average pace is increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

30 KPH
    If X is the first piece of string and Y is the second with sheep mixed in, give me Z with nylon fibres substituted in for the wool fibres.

Arggghhh!! Now that's a brain bleed'er :D . Must be the leaving cert results coming out recently that has all these X,Y,Z problem solving posts coming up! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

An infinite number of monkeys walk into a bar and say everything.

Average speed ? /shurg. too varied

c0rk3r wrote: »

How about, "normalised comfortable sustainable pace"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Raam wrote: »
    How about, "normalised comfortable sustainable pace"?

But i dont have a monkey joke for that answer. 26-28kmph is comfortable

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

kenmc wrote: »

Exactly twice the length from the middle to either end.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

c0rk3r wrote: »

Anyway - what did the barman say ?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

<just found this forum>

my best time

from salthil (galway) - west donegal ( 280km )

11.2 hours including 3 breaks (1 30 min, 2 15min)

time on saddle 10.2hrs

and that was just to get there, did the same back in less time (11.5hrs) with only one break of 5 mins..

mind you that was 10years ago.. now it would take me 2 days to get there

for shorther journeys (up to 10 miles) i used to be able for an average of 29mph

have also cycled around lough corrib in 3 hours exact

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

26 KPH
    24 big ones an a relatively flat route with little wind. Its a MTB tho with skinny tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

my average, tracked since february covering 1998.75 km, is 22.9km/h
    That includes a high of 29.3 (4.85km commute - not much climbing, but a few traffic lights) to a low of 11.1km/h (14.67km of mountainbiking)
    But then there's a 27.5km/h for 170.9km (ROK) vs 18.8 for a 4.32km commute vs 20.8km/h for 196.14km (wicklow 200)
    I fail to see how anything useful can be determined from such a vast spread of data to be honest, especially considering the routes are rarely the same, nevermind the conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

26 KPH
    I only really commute on my hybrid and my average is usually somewhere between 22km/h and 26km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

26 KPH
    My 24km-per-direction commute, which is a mixture of town, flat road and alps takes an hour on average, so I picked 24kmph. But my normal cruising speed with my hybrid on the flat is 38kmph...

Advertisement