Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant help

Options
  • 14-08-2008 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi
    Were goin to Galway for the oyster festival (well not for it we just happen to have picked that weekend to be there)
    Ive been told to make sure I have restaurants booked as we won't get in anywhere
    Were there for 4 nights and Ive booked the G and Oscars
    Can someone please recommend 2 other really nice restaurants - modern and with really good food ??
    Im getting baffled chekcing out menu pages

Also, young modern bars
    Im not one for the Quays and the like

Thanks a million
    JP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

house hotel, heard good reviews
    da robertas out in salthill is yummy!!!!!
    malthouse in town is good too

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Kirwans is supposed to be good
    Da Robertas in Salthill
    KRCMA has good food

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Abalone, Abalone and Abalone. Thats the only restaurant you need to try and book. I'm hungry just thinking about it!

Pubs

Massimo's, Front Door, Buskers, Cellar... god I really should venture out of the west end more lol.

kayos wrote: »
    Abalone, Abalone and Abalone. Thats the only restaurant you need to try and book. I'm hungry just thinking about it!

Pubs

Massimo's, Front Door, Buskers, Cellar... god I really should venture out of the west end more lol.
    wheres Abalone??? is it new?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

minxie1 wrote: »
    Google is yer one
    http://www.ireland-guide.com/establishment/abalone_restaurant.5506.html

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

minxie1 wrote: »

Its not new, I was living away from galway for a few years and when I came back a friend recommended it to me. Myself and the OH went there for dinner one night and we pretty much had to roll out the door. The food was honestly some of the best I've had in Galway maybe go as far as saying Ireland. I'm a fussy bast whe it comes to my steak but hmmmmmm they can cook a steak exactly as you ask for it and not the normal blacken crap you get in a lot of places.

Its a small place, small menu and wine list. But what is on the menu and the wines they stock..... nyom nyom. Oh and when paying you get home made chocs, kinda like crunchies, rather than the normal cheap/nasty chocolate mints. We jokingly asked for more and down came another plate of them (see the rolling out the door comment above)

Staff where friendly, helpful, chatty when needed and what impressed me the most they knew how to serve a table properly. Something small I know but when I worked in a resturant we would have been kicked out the door if we served a table the way most seem to this day. Nothing worse than someone reaching across or over you to dump a plate on the table.

must pay that place a visit.... not often a place gets a review like that.
    well said....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It's a big +1 from me re Abalone. I would second everyting the above poster said about it. I've yet to hear anything but a shining report about the place.

Casey Blakes on Quay Street is really nice as is Kirwans Lane. Cookes Wine Bar on Abbeygate street is good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

BK's.

French-cafe style ... very cool, nice food ... you can forget you're even in Ireland for a few hours ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Artisan Quay street
    Cactus Jacks off Quay street
    Al Murretto Forster Street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

The restaurant at the greyhound stadium is top quality. It's also a great night out with a difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

JP

Oyster Festival is something I do every year...

If you're in the tent on the Saturday day, your best bet is to walk across the bridge and head for Martine's Quay St Wine Bar...positioned at the bottom of the street close to the bridge, it's the best place menu is eclectic to appeal to all tastes and pockets but the atmospehere is great, lots of locals who are not going to the ball that evening end up there, and if the lady is there herself (as she usually is) it will be great craic. Do it soon as there tend to be a few big tables and not much turnover on the night, particularly if they are regulars. Failing that Kirwan's Lane is also close. There have been a few good reviews of the Malt House since it reoponed, although I havent been as yet it would be worth a go and Artisan over Tigh Neachtain's is rather nice too...the new incarnation where Ard Bia used to be based is now under different ownership, the guy that has it knows his stuff and the food has been good any time I have been there....also Ard Bia at Nimmo's is fun too....

the rest arent great....as the McKenna's and Tom Doorley have said Galway is not renowned for the quality of its eateries...

Advertisement