Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Licence-not endorsed?

Options
  • 14-08-2008 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

My wife passed her test a month or so ago. She had always driven a manual car but was involved in a crash the week of the test-nobody hurt but the car was written off. She used my car for the test-which is an automatic. On the day of the test this was noted on her cert and the driving tester commented on it.

When her full licence arrived in the post there was no mention of an automatic car restriction.
    Could she now drive a manual car and still have be coved by her licence?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It's not an 'endorsement' - It will be one of the codes opposite the 'B' license when you fold it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

I had a look- her licence is identical to mine (nicer photo on hers:D). and I have a full, clean licence for manual cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

I heard of this before......Seems to me to just be an office mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

+1, unless there was a clerical error, she should have a 78 under the restrictions/info heading. It seems like she may have gotten lucky. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭SeanW

VERY lucky. In the normal course, you are allowed to drive unaccompanied on a Learner Permit + Certificate of Competency, subject to any restrictions set out on such pair of documents. I.E. after passing her test with an automatic-only restriction, she would have been permitted to drive automatic cars on her own, with L-plates up.

If I were in your wife's position, I would have held on to the unrestricted LP (unrestricted, as in, no automatic-only restriction) and the Cert of Competency from that day, while booking a new test immediately to get a "clean" certificate.

If your wife's license doesn't have a code "78" across from the effective dates of Category B, then she is incredibly lucky beyond belief. Unless of course the restriction is noted in the National Drivers Database and it was a printing error.

I read that it does, I checked it up and found a reference here:
    http://www.lireland.com/app/provover.htm

But after reading Rules of the Road, I found that this is not a listed condition for driving unaccompanied on a Learner Permit, nor in some other newer materials. So it looks like the rules might have changed.

Actually I found a second reference for this:
    http://www.drivingtest.ie/preparing.html
    Requirements/limitations on your driving with a provisional licence:

Accompaniment:
    You are required to be accompanied by a person holding a full driving licence for the category of vehicle being driven. The only exceptions to this are when:

* driving a car on the basis of a second provisional licence;
    * driving a work vehicle, e.g. agricultural tractor;
    * riding a motorcycle;
    * you hold a current certificate of competency to drive for the category of vehicle being driven.

You may not act as an accompanying driver, i.e. holder of a full licence, for a person driving with a provisional licence. It is not sufficient to have a certificate of competency to drive.

So the rules have changed. TY for the update :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah, it's covered in the stickies. You are not considered a fully qualified driver until you apply for your license.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

My source is the PDF document "Changes to the Driver Licensing System Effective After June 30, 2008," published by the Road Safety Authority.

http://www.drivingtest.ie/Changes30June2008.pdf
    <\QUOTE>
    Does this rule change not seem a little pedantic? What real world problem does this law address?
    I can't imagine any guard or judge in their right mind enforcing it tbh.

Advertisement