Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Server Backup Software - Recommendations?

• 14-08-2008 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭

I've a few servers that I intend to backup to (external) disk but my preferrred choice - Backup Exec - is rather expensive so I thought I'd ask here if there's any cheaper/free alternatives that people are using.

Must support Server 2003 (and 2008 if possible)
    Must allow unattended scheduled (daily) backups

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Honestly I'd PM cult: he's responsible for maintaining boards and updating that every night..he'd be the man to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

I think I have recomended this before, but it works for me once it's set up and it is free. Check it out anyways, theres plenty of options to tweak...
    http://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/software/SyncBack_Setup.zip

The main site is http://www.2brightsparks.com in case you want to browse before a direct download.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ntbackup is free and part of the OS
    it does an uncompressed dump to a file and can be scheduled
    you can compress the file by enabling NTFS compression

IMHO ntbackup is more reliable than backup exec since there less options to play with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

use ntbackup mate,

its free, and with the right amount of scripting you can:
    • push the backup script to the server.
    • add it to the scheduled tasks on the server you wish to backup.
    • run your backup of your system state and hard drive content to your external drive.
    • or backup to local disk then copy the backup files off to the backup drive.
    • get email reports of the backups by emailing the backup log each day (good .for auditing etc)

if you need a hand, feel free to pm me, i have a few scripts that would sort ya out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭tech

Hi

Can you post some of your scripts, here I was never a fan of NT backup but loads of people love it as they say once the script is right

tks

• Advertisement

no problem chief, all my scripts are on my windows machine, ill post em on monday.

It'd be a little helpful if you could let me know which parts you are interested in and i could answer you quicker.

A

sorry for the delay ladies/gents!

Nt backup to file server with report:

logdest = destination network folder (or local if you wish) for the log files
    backdes = destination network folder (or local if you wish) for the backup files.
    set logfiledir="%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\windows nt\NTBackup\data"
    set logdest=[B]\\server\share\backups[/B]
    set backdes=[B]\\server\share\backups[/B]
    Rem Log file Maintenance.
    del /q %logfiledir%\*.log

Rem --- System state backup ---

ntbackup backup systemstate /f %backdes%\%computername%-[B][B]systemstate[/B][/B].bkf /j "systemstate" /l:s

FOR /F "usebackq tokens=1" %%n IN (`dir %logfiledir%\ /b`) DO @FOR /F "usebackq tokens=2,3,4 delims=/ " %%d IN (`date /t`) DO @FOR /F "usebackq tokens=1,2 delims=: " %%t IN (`time /t`) DO @ren %logfiledir%\%%n %computername%-"systemstate"-%%d%%e%%f.log

move /y %logfiledir%\*.log %logdest%

Rem --- hard drive backup ---
    Rem --- Copy and paste from here downwards for multiple drives---
    ntbackup backup [B]c:\[/B] /f %backdes%\%computername%-[B]cdrive.bkf[/B] /j "[B]C Drive[/B]" /l:s

FOR /F "usebackq tokens=1" %%n IN (`dir %logfiledir%\ /b`) DO @FOR /F "usebackq tokens=2,3,4 delims=/ " %%d IN (`date /t`) DO @FOR /F "usebackq tokens=1,2 delims=: " %%t IN (`time /t`) DO @ren %logfiledir%\%%n %computername%-"[B]Cdrive[/B]"-%%d%%e%%f.log

move /y %logfiledir%\*.log %logdest%
    Rem --- end copy ---

this script will:
    • delete old backup logs.
    • perform a system state backup directly to the network drive.
    • export the log file, rename it and place it in the directory specified.
    • perform a c: drive backup directly to the network drive.
    • rename the logfile and place it in the directory specified.

once you have all the backups on one network share you could write them all off in one swoop to an external drive. I wouldnt advise you write the backups directly to the external hard drive.

if you want a hand with adding this script to the schedueled tasks, heres the syntax i use:

schtasks /create /s \\%computername% /u domain\username /p password /tn Server-Backup /tr "c:\backup.bat" /sc daily /st 19:00:00

so once you identify what drives you need for each server.

copy the backup file to c:\ or a network drive, whatever floats your boat.
    use psexec to connect to your servers and run the schtasks command. (i.e. psexec @servers.txt cmd /c "schtasks /create /s \\%computername% /u domain\username /p password /tn Server-Backup /tr "c:\backup.bat" /sc daily /st 19:00:00"
    job done :)

give me a shout if you need help tailoring the above to work in your environment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

use blat to send emails / logs when finished

Advertisement