Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorway madness

Options
  • 14-08-2008 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I think I just need to get this off my chest because it really really annoys me, so I thought I would share my annoyance with you poor folk and see if it annoys you to.

Right here we go..... Motorway driving.... I drive on two motorways, M1 and M50 every day and how some people drive on them really really gets to me!! If lets say I was driving along in the left hand lane, and I wanted to overtake the car infront of me I would look, signal and move into the right hand lane and back into the left hand lane when I overtook him. However if I noticed a few cars that I was going to over take I would stay in the right hand lane until needs be....now I would just like to say that I dont cut in front of people in the right, I will wait until it is safe to overtake. Now if I was coming up in the right hand lane overtaking a few cars, and there is some idiot in front of me (in the right hand lane) wouldnt you think he'd move back to the left if he was actually going SLOWER then the ones in the left hand lane anyway!!! Obviously not just cut in straight away but if there is time and space to do so......MOVE OVER!!! Also HGV's.... I know they brought in penalty points for HGV's in the right hand lane so can they even over take? It annoys me when they try to overtake someone...it takes them about 5 mins!! and its dangerous because people have to slow right down.... GRRRRRRR:mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from learning to drive.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Welcome to Ireland where people generally can't drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

Drives me crazy too, just undertake, you'll never make any progress otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jtbub15 wrote: »
    if there is time and space to do so......MOVE OVER!!!

+1

Good slogan for use in safety ads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

fletch wrote: »

I drive the N2 every day, and have to undertake at least once a day. Some people think the right hand lane is their own special lane. Even on an empty road, they just stay there, completely oblivious to the ROTR

You are accomplishing nothing by posting about stuff like this.

The sooner you learn to to calm down and adapt to other less skilled or ignorant road users the better. There are bad drivers out there and there always will. boo hoo, who cares, just deal with it like other sane road users.

The best thing you can do for your own driving is learn to adapt to other drivers behaviour and not get so wound up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I have wanted a rant about this for a while

Can everyone here not take it upon themselves to explain, especially to their parents, the way the motorway works to anyone they know that cant use lanes properly.

I came onto the M50 today around 3.45 at Palmerstown heading soutbound. Firstly, on the slip , a woman in front in one of those suzuki yokes that looks like an opel agila brakes when the hatchings dissappear between the main carriageway and the slip (wtf??). Braking to slower than the traffic your trying to join is stupid enough but now with the lanes between each junction meaning you dont even have to join the main carriageway if you are going back off the next junction it meant she had an empty lane in front of her to use while she has to join. (when sh did manage to join the motorway, she cut straight out into the overtakignlane :rolleyes: it's down to 2 lanes atm btw)

So I'm trundling up the driving lane and need to overtake a line of traffic (made worse by all the idiots that wait until just before the turn off to move to the off ramp, have they not realised they have a couple of miles of a lanes that they can move into now when they know they are going off the next junction? idiots) and come up behind a woman with her seat all the way forward and must have been steering with her shoulders she was that close to the wheel in an 08 Auris who eventually realises I'm behind her just before I was about to give up and undertak her in the driving lane which had just become completely clear for about a mile ahead after we overtook the traffic when she moved over, so I went passed then moved into the drivign lane and continued on pullign away from her. Thing is, as soon as I went by and looked in my mirror she had moved back into the overtakign lane, despite the driving lane being completely clear, where she stayed until I went off at Tallaght and she continued on towards Dundrum.

I think I'll just stop using motorways, it's tto frustrating having to deal with people who havnt a clue how to use them.

ronoc wrote: »
    You are accomplishing nothing by posting about stuff like this.

The sooner you learn to to calm down and adapt to other less skilled or ignorant road users the better. There are bad drivers out there and there always will. boo hoo, who cares, just deal with it like other sane road users.

The best thing you can do for your own driving is learn to adapt to other drivers behaviour and not get so wound up about it.
    But bitching and ranting is what makes messageboards fun! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Quint wrote: »
    But bitching and ranting is what makes messageboards fun! :pac:

It's more than that, it's what makes them exist. Otherwise it would just be a huge series of 1 post threads that everyone agrees with and no one need reply to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭cml387

Down here in cork/tipp where there is an increasing amount of motorway mileage, I see few examples of poor motorway driving.

Having recently driven in northern Italy, it is appalling what goes on.
    Tailgaiting at high speed, and woe betide you if you venture into the overtaking lane when some stallion in an Alpha Romeo will vigourosly start flashing his lights from a kilometre back to get you out of his way.

We aren't all that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The most annoying driver is "driver who sits in the outside lane and perfectly matches the speed of the driver inside him" and continues this for several kms blisfully unaware of those behind him. OR worse still, couldn't care less about those behind him/her.
    Use the mirrors pal! :p

Driving in the 6 lane freeways in the USA is fun - at least you can undertake there and nip across several lanes.
    However, what's annoying is their insistence on slamming on the brakes for no reason whatsoever, or if they come to a gentle bend in the road and brake from 90mph to 60. Bizarre!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Yes, every now and then I see a cabbage on an empty motorway 200m ahead of me doing 60mph with no one near them indicating and moving into the fast lane. I mean, wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

fletch wrote: »

Yea you'll save at least 2 mins!!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I drive the N2 every day, and have to undertake at least once a day. Some people think the right hand lane is their own special lane. Even on an empty road, they just stay there, completely oblivious to the ROTR

1/. You never have to undertake.

2/. Undertaking is dangerous never mind illegal. Perhaps you need a refresher on the ROTR yourself? ;)

I know it's frustrating when other drivers do not follow the rules, but you cannot, even momentarily, choose to deliberately not follow them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Yea you'll save at least 2 mins!!:rolleyes:
    Yea who'd want to save over 31 days of their lives? :rolleyes:
    (2 mins per trip * 2 trips per day * 5 days per week * 50 working days per year * 45 years of commuting per life).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cml387 wrote: »
    Having recently driven in northern Italy, it is appalling what goes on.
    Tailgaiting at high speed, and woe betide you if you venture into the overtaking lane when some stallion in an Alpha Romeo will vigourosly start flashing his lights from a kilometre back to get you out of his way.

You obviously do not understand how motorways work. Agreed, the Italians are generally aggressive, but you'd have been fine if you'd have behaved properly. Italian motorways are safe although the average speed driven in cars is likely more than twice the Irish speed. German motorways are safe and half of them don't even have a speed limit. Drive on a quiet one and you'll be overtaken by drivers doing >250km/h regularly

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Scariest place to drive in my view is Arc de Triumph in Paris. Lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

There is one particular scenario I've encountered a few times which genuinely baffles me.

On a quiet motorway (I've seen it on the M4), I'm driving along in the left lane. Ahead there is a car in the outside lane going slower than me, although there is no other traffic on the inside lane. Anyway I come up behind them, indicate and move into the overtaking lane, whereupon they indicate and pull over allowing me to overtake.

All well and good, at least the driver is aware of other traffic on the road. I then in turn move back into the inside lane as there is no other traffic ahead. Only to see in my mirrors the car I had just overtaken return to its previous position in the overtaking lane!

Why?? What is going on in the head's of these people? Do they think they have to drive in the outside lane? I would love to know. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Quite recently I was on the M1 and went to overtake someone and there was a car which kind of drifted out into the overtaking lane and wouldn't budge. He/she was driving much much slower than the rest of the traffic in the fast lane but still held everyone up. In the end I had to pass them using the left hand lane and just pray that they didn't wander over without looking, which seemed like a very real possibility.

I also hate people who drive roundabouts at speeds two or three times the legal speed limit. As if it's not hard enough to get out of your exit as is. Sorry for disgressing it. It's just something that has bugged the hell out of me over the last few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Oh dont get me started !This bugs the hell out of me !And Im ashamed to admit (jeez this AND Kid Rock at Number 1 in the charts!)its a peculiarly (26 Counties)Irish problem .(Although the UK drivers do seem to be declining slightly in road courtesy/discipline in recent years )I dont know what it is in our national psyche that drives it but it does seem to be something along the lines of "F*** you !Yes I DO own the road !"It does tend to be older drivers but not exclusively so.The po faced self righteous gits will flash you or point at the speedo if you undertake them while younger folk tend to speed up as you try and undertake .Sometimes it feels soooo tempting to ram them up the ar5e its scary...(Or drive in front of THEM at 20mph?)The Italian situation described earlier in thread seems perfectly reasonable -if I was doing 240kmh in the outside lane Id flash anybody stupid enough to pull out or loiter in front of me also.The American undertaking system does seem fundamentally scary ...especially for learners Id bet who have no 'safe'slow lane but then any three lane road here like that between Naas and Newlands Cross,Dublin may as well be an American road for the amount of undertaking that goes on and has to be done ...I dont know whether the outside lane hogger is to be more reviled or pitied when s/hes on a three lane road ....Pathetic!Flogging's too good for them!

1/. You never have to undertake.

2/. Undertaking is dangerous never mind illegal. Perhaps you need a refresher on the ROTR yourself? ;)

I know it's frustrating when other drivers do not follow the rules, but you cannot, even momentarily, choose to deliberately not follow them yourself.

Bu that logic if someone is doing 80kph in the right hand lane and won't move over, both lanes are stuck doing 80kph behind the idiot in both lanes.

I hate it when people feel the need to pass me on the left making my journey even more dangerous. Its bad enough for them to get road rage behind me and beep and flash (are they trying to make me crash?) but to speed past when I'm driving comfortably at the limit-10% really pisses me off! I pay my taxes so I'm not going to be bullied!
    Grow up you boy racers!

:D

Bu that logic if someone is doing 80kph in the right hand lane and won't move over, both lanes are stuck doing 80kph behind the idiot in both lanes.

Yep. According to advanced driver book (IAM) that's exactly what you should do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

kbannon wrote: »
    I hate it when people feel the need to pass me on the left making my journey even more dangerous. Its bad enough for them to get road rage behind me and beep and flash (are they trying to make me crash?) but to speed past when I'm driving comfortably at the limit-10% really pisses me off! I pay my taxes so I'm not going to be bullied!
    Grow up you boy racers!

+1
    It's just so inconsiderate, especially when they have their fog lights on...:mad:

(ibtl?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

@ KBANNON

"I hate it when people feel the need to pass me on the left making my journey even more dangerous. Its bad enough for them to get road rage behind me and beep and flash (are they trying to make me crash?) but to speed past when I'm driving comfortably at the limit-10% really pisses me off! I pay my taxes so I'm not going to be bullied!
    Grow up you boy racers!"

You are obviously EXACTLY the sort of person being discussed in this thread.Now a few reasonable questions ...Who gives you the right to decide that 10% under the limit is the 'correct ' speed to drive at and none shall dare pass you ?How would you feel if two old dears /a pair of lorries /caravans etc drove at 20mph in front of you and you couldnt drive at the speed YOU wanted?Why,why ,oh why,WHY wont you just pull in if not when you are meant to after overtaking (its not called the 'overtaking lane' for fun) at the very least when you see someone coming up behind you (NB not 20 seconds after they are on your rear bumper).
    Apart from very selfish psychotic reasons I can envision one or two others for right lane hoggers not moving into the left eg "Im afraid I wont be able to get out again" or "Im turning right up ahead ...eh 5 miles up ahead"If everybody used proper lane discipline (something most of us have probably literally never heard of ) none of this would be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

ytareh wrote: »
    @ KBANNON

"I hate it when people feel the need to pass me on the left making my journey even more dangerous. Its bad enough for them to get road rage behind me and beep and flash (are they trying to make me crash?) but to speed past when I'm driving comfortably at the limit-10% really pisses me off! I pay my taxes so I'm not going to be bullied!
    Grow up you boy racers!"

You are obviously EXACTLY the sort of person being discussed in this thread.Now a few reasonable questions ...Who gives you the right to decide that 10% under the limit is the 'correct ' speed to drive at and none shall dare pass you ?How would you feel if two old dears /a pair of lorries /caravans etc drove at 20mph in front of you and you couldnt drive at the speed YOU wanted?Why,why ,oh why,WHY wont you just pull in if not when you are meant to after overtaking (its not called the 'overtaking lane' for fun) at the very least when you see someone coming up behind you (NB not 20 seconds after they are on your rear bumper).
    Apart from very selfish psychotic reasons I can envision one or two others for right lane hoggers not moving into the left eg "Im afraid I wont be able to get out again" or "Im turning right up ahead ...eh 5 miles up ahead"If everybody used proper lane discipline (something most of us have probably literally never heard of ) none of this would be an issue.

ytareh wrote: »
    @ KBANNON

Grow up you boy racers!"

I agree - its shocking when someone admits to this. Being are a motors mod just rubs salt in the wounds.
    If only he had posted a smiley to make it all funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

kbannon ...you're just angling for another feedback thread :D

• Advertisement

third time's a charm :D

Advertisement