Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorway madness

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

peasant and kbannon banned for trolling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

ytareh wrote: »
    The American undertaking system does seem fundamentally scary ...especially for learners Id bet who have no 'safe'slow lane but then any three lane road here like that between Naas and Newlands Cross,Dublin may as well be an American road for the amount of undertaking that goes on and has to be done ...I dont know whether the outside lane hogger is to be more reviled or pitied when s/hes on a three lane road ....Pathetic!Flogging's too good for them!

It's fundamentally necessary in places like California. Cars are going at a minimum of 80mph, i.e. 130kmph on the freeways ... across all 6 lanes.

If you go too slow, the cops will pull you over and give you a ticket for holding people up.

Anyway, in Californai, everyone drives an automatic. They pass the test within a week, they go out on the road and learn the hard way. For some reason, they pick it up quicker over there. Maybe it's the
    excellent layout of roads and junctions and also excellent road markings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I wonder if it is illegal to modify your headlights to flash alternatively like the Garda cars - that might help the clegs move to the left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jtbub15

kbannon wrote: »
    I hate it when people feel the need to pass me on the left making my journey even more dangerous. Its bad enough for them to get road rage behind me and beep and flash (are they trying to make me crash?) but to speed past when I'm driving comfortably at the limit-10% really pisses me off! I pay my taxes so I'm not going to be bullied!
    Grow up you boy racers!

:D

This is exactly what I was talking about when I posted this thread!! Why not just move over???We pay taxes to so why should we be stuck behind you (not you personally but people who do that)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I have 2 recent pet hates that are happening to me daily as of late.

1. When you're at the bottom of a slip lane to merge onto a dual carriageway (mostly at Liffey Valley after coming off M50), and the traffic is going very slowly and you're waiting for a courteous person to let you join/merge into the traffic.... when the person behind you lunges into the gap that someone has made for you and then pushes right up to the bumper of the car in front, leaving you nowhere to go...
    (This happened to me yesterday by a guy who was talking on his mobile, who proceeded to then lunge out into the moving traffic of the overtaking lane shortly after.

2. When you're at the bottom of a slip lane about to merge onto a dual carriageway/motorway and the traffic is moving fairly smoothly. The lane you're merging into is completely empty for a bit, but there's a lot of cars flying along down the overtaking lane.
    You start moving to merge but, for some ridiculous reason someone in the overtaking lane decides to (without indicating) switch into the lane you're merging into. Meaning you both meet eachother side by side in the same lane... Most of the time they're doing this to undertake or because several miles down the line they're taking a left, but it's inexcusable to switch lanes at 50mph directly parallel to a car merging. There's no reason why this driver can't switch lane (well) BEFORE the traffic starts to merge, or after it when it's safe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Only to see in my mirrors the car I had just overtaken return to its previous position in the overtaking lane!

Mad, isn't it? I've seen this idiotic behaviour nearly every day since the new N6 HQDC to Athlone opened.

BTW, no-one, and I mean no-one, is paying the slightest bit of attention to the ridiculous 100 km/h speed limit on this road. A lot of people are exceeding the 120 limit we expect to be introduced in September, too. Years of pent-up frustration from queueing in Moate, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Its strange but ever since I left Ireland i have a different complaint ..

The dick who decides to pull out when your doing 220 kp/h in the fast lane for no particular reason, and indicated AFTER he/she has pulled out nearly made me brown my pants ! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

craichoe wrote: »
    Its strange but ever since I left Ireland i have a different complaint ..

The dick who decides to pull out when your doing 220 kp/h in the fast lane for no particular reason, and indicated AFTER he/she has pulled out nearly made me brown my pants ! :P

That's standard practice in Ireland as well

MSM = Manoeuvre - Signal - Mirror...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

cml387 wrote: »
    Having recently driven in northern Italy, it is appalling what goes on.
    Tailgaiting at high speed, and woe betide you if you venture into the overtaking lane when some stallion in an Alpha Romeo will vigourosly start flashing his lights from a kilometre back to get you out of his way.

We aren't all that bad.

The difference is that the Italians know how to use motorways and dual carriageways. While i dont agree with tailgating, you dont see any lane hoggers thus less road rage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

cml387 wrote: »
    Down here in cork/tipp where there is an increasing amount of motorway mileage, I see few examples of poor motorway driving.

Having recently driven in northern Italy, it is appalling what goes on.
    Tailgaiting at high speed, and woe betide you if you venture into the overtaking lane when some stallion in an Alpha Romeo will vigourosly start flashing his lights from a kilometre back to get you out of his way.

We aren't all that bad.

Lived in Italy for a while and it is like driving in slow motion in Ireland compared to Italy. They drive so much faster on the motorways.
    Generally though I found them to be good drivers as a whole unlike here where the standard is fairly poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

@VERTAKILL
    "When you're at the bottom of a slip lane about to merge onto a dual carriageway/motorway and the traffic is moving fairly smoothly. The lane you're merging into is completely empty for a bit, but there's a lot of cars flying along down the overtaking lane.
    You start moving to merge but, for some ridiculous reason someone in the overtaking lane decides to (without indicating) switch into the lane you're merging into. Meaning you both meet eachother side by side in the same lane... "

In the UK theres usually a barrier or even wall a couple of hundred metres up the road from main road/motorway or even petrol station 'merging lanes'/'on ramps'.If this were the case here the crashed cars where people refused to move out to let them out would be stacked up into the air.Its like the exact opposite of a fast lane hogger but a similar ,maybe even more dangerous kind of ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Ignore, clicked on wrong thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

ronoc wrote: »
    You are accomplishing nothing by posting about stuff like this.

The sooner you learn to to calm down and adapt to other less skilled or ignorant road users the better. There are bad drivers out there and there always will. boo hoo, who cares, just deal with it like other sane road users.

The best thing you can do for your own driving is learn to adapt to other drivers behaviour and not get so wound up about it.

+1. Learn to be a bit more patient. This topic has been threaded to death on here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I wonder if it is illegal to modify your headlights to flash alternatively like the Garda cars - that might help the clegs move to the left.

I think you just found a loophole! I totally disagree with a driver flashing but I like the idea of a loophole!

Advertisement