Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test tomorrow!!

Options
  • 14-08-2008 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi guys,

My test is on 2m at 8:15am!! I am freaked out about the time it's on at!? Been driving 2 years, up and down to limerick, the works! Did the test once before at christmas 07, failed, but had lessons from a "cowboy". Did 2 2 hr lessons this week, told the guy everything about previous instrutor, he laughed!!!

I have never felt so confident leaving my lessons, only prob I have is the time the test is on! I am doing my test in Swords, Co. Dublin. I've been told there is no "route" as such.

I'm driving a wee car, fiat sciento. I am fairly confident in my driving, just the rules of the road, signs etc I go a bit blank!!

Any advise? Tips? Has anyone done their test in swords??

Cheers!! :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

tbh, seeing that you've had a good bit of experience driving, i think the time should have little impact on the test. A lot of stop start driving out on the main roads perhaps. But maneouvres are usually carried out in quiet areas/estates, so you should be okay. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Hi guys,

Freakin out. Have my second test tomorrow at 10.05 in Rathgar for the 2nd time.

The first time, the instructor failed me for not coming to a complete stop at a yield sing - go figure.

I passed 2 pre tests this week. Ive had about 10 pre tests previously - passed 7 of those.

I've also had at least 30 driving lessons in the past year.

Will everyone who reads this please please please pray to all of their god's that I pass!!!!!

Please....

Thanks a million. Will let you know how I get on.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Caychadh

Good luck to all taking tests tomorrow morning! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭galwaygirl08

Besta luck dudes :)

• Advertisement

All the best, drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭budthedub

FAILED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hit the kerb reversing, I am SO ANNOYED WITH MYSELF. 1st time, I failed really badly on observation, this time, I had 4 grade 2's, 1 grade 1.

Just so annoyed, now it's back to taking the dart again!!!!

The guy was so sweet to me, I was crying obviously, but its just so upsetting knowing that I failed on something that I'm actually savage at :(

Thanks for all the help tho :(

3rd time lucky?!?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

budthedub wrote: »

Hit the kerb reversing, I am SO ANNOYED WITH MYSELF. 1st time, I failed really badly on observation, this time, I had 4 grade 2's, 1 grade 1.

The guy was so sweet to me, I was crying obviously, but its just so upsetting knowing that I failed on something that I'm actually savage at :(

3rd time lucky?!?!!

Hard luck, I done the same the first time. Try not to let it bother you. Apply immediatly again. That was a tough time of the morning to be tested, everyone rushing to work, no patience etc. Best of luck

Just reapplied, never got my confirmation email so I hope it went through!? Just looking back on result sheet, not one mark on observation!? Crazy crazy.

Tester said people were reapplying and he was seeing them in 3/4 weeks?

I hope its that early and I hope I don't get stopped by the gards practicing?!

:(

• Advertisement

Well, I failed again.

Got the same tester, the stupid pr1ck and did worse this time than the last. Im so annoyed.

He refused to explain any of the marks against me.

DO NOT DO YOUR TEST IN RATHGAR PEEPS!!!!!!

Oh Tri!!

I'm sorry chic, hard luck! :( We're in the same boat. He should've gone through the sheet with u! Infairness, I could see my tester was upset, as he said "I'm really sorry, It breaks my heart, but when u hit the kerb, it was there u failed, look at the sheet". I was gutted, I knew min I hit it. In last test, all during lessons and pre test, I never once hit it, and reversing around the corner has always been my forte!!! So there u go!

Just reapply again, I reapplied there. Just goin 2 take my mind off it, go into town shopping, only I've 2 grab the DART!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

3rd time lucky?!?!!

You generally don't fail with hitting the kerb when reversing unless you really go up on the kerb, so what did you fail on? What were the 4 grade 2's for, were they on the same line?

Took me 3 times, passed yesterday, then I explained why I failed last time with one grade 3 and said I should not have failed for that....so some testers maybe harsher then others....but in fairness all my testers have been sound.

The waiting times will probably come down again after the initial rush, I would say 7-8 weeks, the SGS website is really good after they upgraded the system, basically you will get a letter from SGS (if you apply to Raheny you will likely get SGS and not Raheny), they now give you a time and test centre on the letter instead of asking for you to call them.

However and the good thing is, you can go online and change the date/time and test centre to one you want. You can search back closer to todays date and you can see the odd one or two around/available or cancellations.......this is a good system as you can also cancel your test online, as many people are double booking...

SGS do explain the result though. So why don't the RSA? No consistency here. Its not fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Prob abit late for advice now but when i did my test some years back i did a mini pre-test just before the actual test. i found it very helpful, it really calms any nerves and gets you into the correct mind frame. something to consider perhaps in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Not exactly. SGS testers are supposed to give Feedback. They were censured by the RSA for not doing so just 12 months ago.

Have lost original link but
    From the Irish Independent 9th Aug 2007

A FIRM signed up to ease the backlog in driving testing will continue to be employed by the Road Safety Authorities (RSA) despite inconsistencies in the way they conducted and marked tests.

Testers working for SGS Ireland had to take extra training after an audit by the RSA earlier this year found problems in one in five of the tests examined.

Among the problems discovered was a lack of feedback to drivers who had failed the test, and a failure by testers to ask compulsory questions.

The audit was carried out in April, with RSA supervisors accompanying 26 SGS testers in the Dublin region while 259 tests were carried out. In 18pc of the tests, the result given by the SGS tester was "at odds" with the result the RSA supervisor would have given.

From RSA Web Site FAQ's

Q. What happens if I fail the test?

A. The tester will present you with a report detailing aspects of your driving that led you to fail the test. You will also receive a Certificate indicating that you failed the test; you should retain this as you may require it when renewing your provisional licence. Unfortunately, the tester is not permitted to discuss your test results with you. If you wish to apply for a further test, application forms are available at test centres or you can apply online on this website.

Double standards obviously apply.

After receiving appropriate training, some RSA examiners are willing to give a brief explanation, but it is entirely at their discretion.

Well in that case, he didn't give me either! He handed me the sheet, smiled and said, you're worse than the last time and roared laughing - Professional! He would not engage me at all and went through absolutely nothing on the sheet. This, along with other things is precisely the reason why I complained about him the first time I got him (which was ignored by the RSA btw).

With regards to doing pre tests - I have. I said that in my original post. In fact, I passed 2 with two different instructors only on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I am doing my test in Swords, Co. Dublin. I've been told there is no "route" as such
    Hard luck budthedub. Apply again. You'll find information in this thread about Sword Test Routes.

Hi,

Well 2nd reading, think we are both wrong.

I should not have compared "Feedback" with "Discuss"

Feedback is a monologue, discuss is two sided.

Starting a discussion, allowing the applicant their input could lead to arguments, even fights.:eek: And I agree with this ban.

Your post, stating examiner should give constructive advice, that is what a Good driving instructor does and examiner's guidelines - not to go down that route.

But they should give feedback, (or a brief explanation), as stated in the Procedure for Conducting Driving Tests - Verbal Feedback .
    # Before handing the Pass or Fail Certificate, and the Report Sheet, to the applicant, the tester should ask the applicant if he/she would like some brief verbal feedback on some aspects of their test.

# Where the applicant accepts the offer, the tester should point out that the marking system is explained in the notes on the back of the Report Sheet, and, in the case of an unsuccessful applicant, that one (or more) of the threshold points was reached during the test.
    # The tester should then deliver the feedback, based closely on the training course guidelines. The terminology to be used should begin with "An example of this type of fault would be - " The example should refer to the type of fault which was incurred, without referring to the actual fault itself, or to where it occurred on the route. However, in some exceptional cases, the tester may confirm the relevance of a particular fault, or location, if the tester is satisfied that it would be beneficial to do so. Where necessary, the applicant may be informed that further information is available in the Rules of the Road, and in the leaflet 'Preparing for your Driving Test'. The tester should avoid adopting the role of a driving-instructor.

But they have an "Out". If they form the opinion that an applicant may become aggressive, or emotionally upset, they may skip the feedback.
    Where the tester forms the opinion that an applicant may become aggressive, or emotionally upset, or where language difficulties may arise, the tester may decide not to offer feedback, or to curtail it, if it has commenced. Where necessary, the tester should paraphrase briefly, and conclude by saying - "I am not permitted to discuss the details of the test."

Tri wrote: »
    Well in that case, he didn't give me either! He handed me the sheet, smiled and said, you're worse than the last time and roared laughing - Professional! He would not engage me at all and went through absolutely nothing on the sheet. This, along with other things is precisely the reason why I complained about him the first time I got him (which was ignored by the RSA btw).

With regards to doing pre tests - I have. I said that in my original post. In fact, I passed 2 with two different instructors only on Monday.

Very unprofessional, should drop another letter of complaint to Ballina. But how come he remembered you ??t

J_R wrote: »
    But how come he remembered you ??t
    Well your guess is as good as mine. I was nothing but pleasant to him last time and did nothing to make myself stand out.

So I dunno, mate.

Tri wrote: »
    Well your guess is as good as mine. I was nothing but pleasant to him last time and did nothing to make myself stand out.

So I dunno, mate.

Hi,

Then that is very worrying. Stating that you were worse than previous test implies he has access to your last test report sheet.

Along with your letter of complaint regarding his conduct, in my opinion should also write another letter requesting under "Freedon of Information Act", all information held by them both in Ballina and the test center.

Guidelines here Freedom of Information

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

Then that is very worrying. Stating that you were worse than previous test implies he has access to your last test report sheet.

Along with your letter of complaint regarding his conduct, in my opinion should also write another letter requesting under "Freedon of Information Act", all information held by them both in Ballina and the test center.

Guidelines here Freedom of Information
    Yeah, i'm not sure what to do tbh.... Is it worth my energy, i'm thinking? My last complaint was completely ignored. I can't prove it but it does seem that this man knew I made a complaint against him...

I'm thinking that maybe I should put my energy into starting afresh and passing the test from a different test centre. I have applied for 2 further tests in different centres.

I know I would be really annoyed if I wrote a complaint again and nothing was done. I suppose i'm tired of being annoyed with the situation.

It's obvious for some reason that the man took a dislike to me from the start. Maybe I reminded him of someone he didn't like or something. All I know is, I was very pleasant to him on both occasions. So I don't feel i've done anything wrong.

I'm not sure what to do yet tbh. Thanks for your advice though.:)

Advertisement