Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

becoming a primary school teacher with a BSc

• 14-08-2008 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I dont know if anyone can help me. I've jus finished a 3 year BSc degree in geology but an now considering becoming a primary school teacher. I have always wanted to teach children but I moved over to Ireland when i was 13 and so didn't do Irish for my leaving vert, which made me decide to go and do something else instead. Looking back i shold have taken up irish back then and applied for primary teaching but anyway. I've been looking at the websites for the colleges that do the HDip required for primary teaching but they all say a level 8 degree is required, and mine is only a level 7. I've emailed them but none of them emailed me back. Does anyone know if there is anyway i can become a primary school teacher with a level 7 degree? Obviously i would have to complete an Irish leaving cert course also, but i'm very unsure on my standing considering the degree i have.
    Any help would be a ppreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

No, you MUST have a Level 8 degree. Is there an add-on year you can do to bring yours up to a Level 8? Check with your college.

Alternatively, you could look into studying the post grad in the UK. You might (but I'm not at all sure on this) be able to do one over there with a level 7 degree, plus you wouldnt need the HL Irish qual, plus the course is shorter.

You would then have 5 years to do your SCG exams (for the Irish content), but teach while doing so.

Advertisement