Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

The recent sun has been beneficial, I'm tanned and the psoriasis has abated somewhat, I'm taking L-Glutamine and Vitamin D on a daily basis, which might be contributing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,511 ✭✭✭brevity

The sun does help but i think it only really works if you have been in the sea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The sun absolutely does help but it is a temporary effect. The sea increases the benefit but salt water makes Psoriasis sting like crazy

So I'm waiting to see a consultant in rheumatology atm. I've got a preexisting condition but looking increasingly likely that I've got a form of arthritis. Rheumatoid factor already tested negative. Basically possibilities seem to be psoriatic arthritis or lupus(my ANA was high). Have an existing treatment or other condition that seems to treat the joint pain for a short period.

I'm being driven slightly mad by it tbh. Joints around hands and knees are driving me completely insane, it's draining me of most of my energy.

Anyway, I'm sorry for butting into this thread even though I'm not diagnosed with anything as of yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Pull up a chair, we’re all in the same boat. Don’t worry too much about the RF being negative, mines tested negative for years. My ESR rates doubling CRAZY in a week along with swelling in my body is what got me diagnosed, so hopefully your consultant will sort you out. Are you going public or private? I don’t have health insurance but mine hit me so fast and so severe I couldn’t wait for my dr to refer me, so I went private and dr referred me anyway so I could transfer from private clinic to public. I was 23 months waiting for a public appointment. When it did arrive I am happy enough to stay private, if I get a flare I know the consultant will see me in a day or two. Honestly; if you can afford to go private and it is bad enough, I’d recommend you do that.

• Advertisement

Going private, covid tended to mess up getting appointments etc. So hopefully hear back from consultant soon. Finding it a bit upsetting physically struggling so much. Was a big runner and now going up and downstairs is intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

anyone have any improvements from trying to heal "leaky gut"

Something i have never tried to look at specifically outside of improving my diet (less junk food, alcohol etc).

Went to see a kinesiologist yesterday and their suggestion is to load up on L-glutamine and zinc then take some pro biotics after 4 weeks. I then found this video online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsJwB3bTzp8

Update on this a few months on.

I seen no improvements with the l-glutamine, zinc and vitamin D tablets. Used them for about 8-10 weeks.

I never bought the pro biotics suggested but i did start drinking yakult and apple cider vinegar daily during lockdown and i have kept this up. The improvement has been brilliant. My back has completly cleared, 1 inch spots on torso are improving, patches on elbows are down 70%, patches on shins are still red but less flaking, scalp and eyelids well improved. I used no creams during this time other than aveeno moisturiser.

The kicker for me is that i don't know which of the following has helped me.

1. initial supplements have fixed me slightly even though I'm not taking them any more

2. Yakult and apple cider vinegar are helping any gut problems i may/may not have had

3. The SUN is out more now and I'm back out golfing multiple times per week.

My weight actually increased during lockdown and i always thought weight gain made my psoriasis worse. I'm going to pin the improvements on the weather which is disappointing as it means my psoriasis is cyclical and I'll suffer each autumn/winter with improvements in april/may each year.

Is anyone's story similiar to mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭wonga77

Are you mixing the yakult and apple cider vinegar or how are you taking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

wonga77 wrote: »
    Are you mixing the yakult and apple cider vinegar or how are you taking it?

Sorry should have made that clearer. I take them seperately. Yakult midday and ACV just before bed.

Disclaimer - i haven't been advised or read anything that told me to take them at these times. It's just random but works for me.

Going private, covid tended to mess up getting appointments etc. So hopefully hear back from consultant soon. Finding it a bit upsetting physically struggling so much. Was a big runner and now going up and downstairs is intimidating.

I waited for a year on the public list but it just got out of control and there was nothing else my GP could do without the involvement of a consultant. I have insurance which covered half the cost but I would have paid it anyway. I had 2 visits private then I went into the public system where I am still 5 years later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Newbie20

I’m sorry if I’m repeating anything said already here because I am new to this forum. For years my psoriasis would get bad in the winter and clear in the summer. Gradually the sun started having less and less of an affect on it, eventually the sun actually seemed to make it worse which was depressing when it had always been my saviour.

Anyway I decided to go for phototherapy sessions, I didn’t think it would work but I felt that it was worth a go because nothing else was working for me at this stage and I was feeling fed up. In January 2018 I started going for 3 sessions a week, for 6/7 weeks. Best thing I ever did. It stayed away for about a year and a half and even now, 2.5 years later, it is back on my elbows and one or two small patches on my back and feet but overall I’m still very very clear. I would highly recommend it. Now it was expensive, probably cost me about €1,000 in total. But in my mind it was completely worth it. I’d definitely do it again in the next couple of years and would recommend it to anyone. I can’t guarantee it will work for you but I was at a stage where I thought nothing would work for me and it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Newbie20 wrote: »
    I’m sorry if I’m repeating anything said already here because I am new to this forum. For years my psoriasis would get bad in the winter and clear in the summer. Gradually the sun started having less and less of an affect on it, eventually the sun actually seemed to make it worse which was depressing when it had always been my saviour.

Anyway I decided to go for phototherapy sessions, I didn’t think it would work but I felt that it was worth a go because nothing else was working for me at this stage and I was feeling fed up. In January 2018 I started going for 3 sessions a week, for 6/7 weeks. Best thing I ever did. It stayed away for about a year and a half and even now, 2.5 years later, it is back on my elbows and one or two small patches on my back and feet but overall I’m still very very clear. I would highly recommend it. Now it was expensive, probably cost me about €1,000 in total. But in my mind it was completely worth it. I’d definitely do it again in the next couple of years and would recommend it to anyone. I can’t guarantee it will work for you but I was at a stage where I thought nothing would work for me and it did.

I got phototherapy in James's and was cheap enough 3 sessions a week for 10 weeks.

I didn’t have to pay anything for the phototherapy. It didn’t work for me but I don’t regret trying it

I seen no improvements with the l-glutamine................/QUOTE]

I've been on L-Glutamine and Vitamin D3 since February, havent really noticed much change!

My skin is a deep tan from the recent sunny days and the psoriasis on the back of my hand and wrist where it's most noticeable is a pink colour, My legs are brown too, well where you can see clear skin :)

I also haven't drank alcohol since mid March and that hasn't had any impact either. I've occasionally taken a swig of cider vinegar which is awful, but I must look into that more closely.

Also to treat another condition I've been on a low carb high fat diet with Intermittent Fasting since around Feb and I don't think that it has done anything for the psoriasis, but has worked wonders for my weight and general health.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭wonga77

Fionn wrote: »
    I seen no improvements with the l-glutamine................/QUOTE]

I've been on L-Glutamine and Vitamin D3 since February, havent really noticed much change!

My skin is a deep tan from the recent sunny days and the psoriasis on the back of my hand and wrist where it's most noticeable is a pink colour, My legs are brown too, well where you can see clear skin :)

I also haven't drank alcohol since mid March and that hasn't had any impact either. I've occasionally taken a swig of cider vinegar which is awful, but I must look into that more closely.

Also to treat another condition I've been on a low carb high fat diet with Intermittent Fasting since around Feb and I don't think that it has done anything for the psoriasis, but has worked wonders for my weight and general health.

It goes to show that different folks = different strokes.
    I have tried going off alcohol altogether and noticed zero difference, others swear by it. Same with the diet thing, obviously there are certain foods that might trigger it but dieting and cutting things out has never really cured my psoriasis, although probably was good for my overall health

Drinking kills me. I’ll get away with about a week of tearing myself asunder and then good luck, I’m in ribbons

What’s everyone doing about going back into your work office? Particularly those on biologics

That is a good questions as I dont think most workplaces realise that meds for psoriasis can leave you immunocompromised.

Gael23 wrote: »
    What’s everyone doing about going back into your work office? Particularly those on biologics

I'm already on biologics for an existing condition. I can work from home as is so think it probably makes sense to continue to do so.

I’m not back yet, I’m going back into a beauty salon 😂 a bit nervous but sure look, life goes on doesn’t it. Unless I catch it :D

• Advertisement

I’m not back yet, I’m going back into a beauty salon 😂 a bit nervous but sure look, life goes on doesn’t it. Unless I catch it :D

Have you mentioned being immunocompromised to the higher up? Have they implemented any type of protection for staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I seen no improvements with the l-glutamine, zinc and vitamin D tablets. Used them for about 8-10 weeks.
    I was reading that vitamin D can take a long time to take effect, and that most people are on too low an amount. I saw one study over 6 months and they had good results but were taking 35,000 IU
    The kicker for me is that i don't know which of the following has helped me.
    I have had huge improvements but have also tried all sorts, but I do think its not just 1 thing but a combination that is working so well.

I have been using dovonex, UVB, cocois, dithranol. I was prescribed steroids but did not get them, I was at the GP for a different reason and he gave me a script. Also for the price of 2 tubes of steroids I was able to buy 2x36W UVB bulbs and the reflector to go with them (still have to get the reflector)

The other things were cutting down alcohol (but still drink way too much), fasting, and intermittent fasting, eating 24hr yogurt and homemade sauerkraut and raw onions. Have only started taking vitamin D3 pills.

I was treating my upper body and left the lower alone, the upper is doing very well and since I started treating the bottom half it has also improved rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,511 ✭✭✭brevity

I mentioned it to them that i was on the at risk category - I've been told that i will probably be one of the last going back into the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Chacha97

hi all, unsure if this has been asked before but I seem to be struggling a bit with in ear psoriasis. One is fine, a bit of plaque but nothing major but one ear is has plaque but now seems to be blocked and ringing. It could just be a build up of wax and have drops to soften if that is case but worried that it could be plaques that have fallen into ear canal. Has anyone experience with in ear?

Also I have a patch on my forehead and wondering if any good suggestions for a face moisturiser? I have my body ones and wonder would something more specific be need for the face. Thanks

Chacha97 wrote: »
    It could just be a build up of wax and have drops to soften if that is case but worried that it could be plaques that have fallen into ear canal. Has anyone experience with in ear?
    Yes, I used 6% hydrogen peroxide which fizzes up and losens things, I would lie on my side and use a plastic syringe to put a few drops, you can hear it fizzing away then you put tissue over your ear and tilt to the other side . But if there is some other problem hydrogen peroxide can be harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hi. First time posting here.
    I'll admit I'm not great at treating my psoriasis but thankfully I don't have it as bad as some.
    I have big patches on both my upper legs and number of patches on my torso and arms.
    When I do decide to treat it I use Dovobet but for some reason they've decided to stop doing that here. Anyone know why?
    Since I live near the border, I started getting it in the North but today I was told the smaller tubes have been discontinued and the larger tube doubled in price, so looks like that won't be an option in the future either.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Hi. First time posting here.
    I'll admit I'm not great at treating my psoriasis but thankfully I don't have it as bad as some.
    I have big patches on both my upper legs and number of patches on my torso and arms.
    When I do decide to treat it I use Dovobet but for some reason they've decided to stop doing that here. Anyone know why?
    Since I live near the border, I started getting it in the North but today I was told the smaller tubes have been discontinued and the larger tube doubled in price, so looks like that won't be an option in the future either.

I haven’t used Dovobet for a number of years now but I know there is a new medicine called Enstillar foam which has the same active ingredients as Dovobet. I’ve never used it at all so can’t comment in how it works though.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    When I do decide to treat it I use Dovobet but for some reason they've decided to stop doing that here. Anyone know why?.
    Dovobet is prescription only so I would wonder why your doctor is prescribing it if it was off the market.

Dovonex is OTC in the republic of Ireland, and definitely still available.

I was prescribed enstilar and did not buy any as its a steroid which I wanted to avoid, and I am delighted I did not as I have improved hugely since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Repeat prescription so I must let him know that it's hard/expensive to get now. It's annoying that what I know works to clear it is what they take of the market

• Advertisement

Got Enstillar foam prescription last year. but it didn't really do much for me, it was expensive and didn't last long!

Advertisement