Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I have had scaly patches on my back, face scalp and elbows for ages. Problems with toenails too. Used steroid cream and it seemed to work for a short while and then a waste of time. Eventually tried diet as it seemed to breakout after eating certain foods. Looks very like I am gluten intolerant as I cut out all gluten about 4 months ago and it has almost cleared completely.

I will wait a while and do a test just to be sure. Just be aware that gluten intolerance also causes lactose intolerance as a side effect so have cut out all lactose products as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yes...because despite the amazing tech that's knocking around these days, they have no earthly idea how to unravel the psoriasis enigma.

In certain it's diet.
    I think the common dictum is moving away from the 'food pyramid' and the idea that every body is different and we all need specific diets customised to our unique needs and intolerances.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Shoneen

Yes...because despite the amazing tech that's knocking around these days, they have no earthly idea how to unravel the psoriasis enigma.

I think one of the problems with finding a cure for Psoriasis is that there's far more money to be made in controlling it than in curing it.

Like Eczema and other skin ailments, Psoriasis is almost never a directly fatal disease, so sufferers can be paying out for coping medicines for fifty years plus. If a Pharma company were to find a cure for it they could probably charge a heap load of money for it, but it would be a one off hit.

I had been on Humira for 18 months and I was entirely clear of Psoriasis. When Covid came I chose to stop taking the Humira, partially because of the reduced immunity caused by Humira but also due to the fact that my lungs aren't great due to having had pneumonia four times when I was younger.

When I got to talk to my Dermatologist about it she wasn't entirely on board with the action I had taken, but could see the logic and said that in another six months we'd have better knowledge as to the risks posed by Covid to people who are on biologics. That's great and all, but personally I didn't want to be contributing to the statistics.

I'm getting back to where I was now previous to going on humira - topicals are next to useless for me so I'm going to try diet. I started drinking Kombucha and eating raw sauerkraut yesterday and have ordered curcumin tablets. We'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Shoneen wrote: »
    I think one of the problems with finding a cure for Psoriasis is that there's far more money to be made in controlling it than in curing it. ...If a Pharma company were to find a cure for it they could probably charge a heap load of money for it, but it would be a one off hit.
    That's likely to be very true. Of all the numerous commercials on US TV for drugs, psoriasis drugs like Humira are advertised far more than others.
    I had been on Humira for 18 months and I was entirely clear of Psoriasis.
    When you went off the Humira earlier this year, did your psoriasis come back? If so, how quickly did it come back and to what level of intensity (relative to what you would have experienced in the past)?

• Advertisement

That's likely to be very true. Of all the numerous commercials on US TV for drugs, psoriasis drugs like Humira are advertised far more than others.

When you went off the Humira earlier this year, did your psoriasis come back? If so, how quickly did it come back and to what level of intensity (relative to what you would have experienced in the past)?

I think it took about six weeks for the first signs of it to start coming back. It's been fairly gradual, I went off the Humira at the end of February and it's still not back to being as bad as it was pre-Humira, but it's getting there. I tried controlling it with Enstillar for a while, but I've given up on that now as well as it wasn't really helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I had been on Humira for 18 months and I was entirely clear of Psoriasis. When Covid came I chose to stop taking the Humira, partially because of the reduced immunity caused by Humira but also due to the fact that my lungs aren't great due to having had pneumonia four times when I was younger.

When I got to talk to my Dermatologist about it she wasn't entirely on board with the action I had taken, but could see the logic and said that in another six months we'd have better knowledge as to the risks posed by Covid to people who are on biologics. That's great and all, but personally I didn't want to be contributing to the statistics.

I'm getting back to where I was now previous to going on humira - topicals are next to useless for me so I'm going to try diet. I started drinking Kombucha and eating raw sauerkraut yesterday and have ordered curcumin tablets. We'll see how it goes.

I discussed stopping my biologic with my consultant at the outset when we knew little about Covid. He was on board, but when we all discovered that the main Covid damage is due to the cytokine storm caused by the same over-reaction of the immune system as psoriasis, I went back on it with his approval. I'm almost clear again, but I hate this virus and what it's doing to our society.

All the bored trolls and brats are having a great time, even protesting in Dublin yesterday about wearing masks. They can go and do one as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

wonga77 wrote: »
    and soak in vinegar for a while when I'm watching tv or youtube.

Just occurred to me, could that indicate that it was a fungus you had and not psoriasis?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ya thats possible, like i said, i was never diagnosed but assumed fungal at first before thinking it may be psoriasis, they would be similar enough in appearance alright. Nothing ever seemed to clear it fully anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The probiotic effect from fermented veg, would other probiotic have the same effect? Like a probiotic yoghurt?
    I make probiotic yogurt myself too, fermented for 24hours for max probiotics, it comes out really sharp as more lactose/sugar is fermented out. I had been on it before but not sauerkraut.

Also, I was under the illusion that UV couldn't penetrate the nail?
    seems you are right, I never heard of that, it must be the dovonex that was doing the main work so, I won't bother with the light in future so. This is part of the problem, I do multiple things at once so cannot pinpoint which is the most beneficial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

I have Psoriatic Arthritis. I was taking Cosentyx and Methotrexate before Covid (BC) but decided to come off Methotrexate due to immunosuppression and concerns about getting the virus. Psoriasis started to come back but nothing like I expected. A couple of patches here and there but nothing dramatic. My consultant wasn't thrilled when I told him....
    My finger joints aren't great at the moment so I've restarted taking the Methotrexate.

It's a scary time so stay safe everyone:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Misguided1 wrote: »
    I have Psoriatic Arthritis. I was taking Cosentyx and Methotrexate before Covid (BC) but decided to come off Methotrexate due to immunosuppression and concerns about getting the virus. Psoriasis started to come back but nothing like I expected. A couple of patches here and there but nothing dramatic. My consultant wasn't thrilled when I told him....
    My finger joints aren't great at the moment so I've restarted taking the Methotrexate.

It's a scary time so stay safe everyone:)

I was told under no uncertain terms to keep taking my medication. The risks of stopping outweigh the benefit

Gael23 wrote: »
    I was told under no uncertain terms to keep taking my medication. The risks of stopping outweigh the benefit

risks of stopping? You mean in terms of the re-emergence of the psoriasis or are there other risks?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I’m taking stelara and while I was petrified of Covid, I spoke with my consultant, and we both agreed that stelara hasn’t really lowered my immune system all that much, so I kept on taking it. Even moved it from 12 weeks to 8 as I was having some slight flare ups due to stress and lack of sleep in a new job.

While you’re on biologics, if you live a healthy lifestyle I can’t personally see them lowering the immune system as much as a higher dose of MTX or some of the chemo drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

eeloe wrote: »
    I’m taking stelara and while I was petrified of Covid, I spoke with my consultant, and we both agreed that stelara hasn’t really lowered my immune system all that much, so I kept on taking it. Even moved it from 12 weeks to 8 as I was having some slight flare ups due to stress and lack of sleep in a new job.

While you’re on biologics, if you live a healthy lifestyle I can’t personally see them lowering the immune system as much as a higher dose of MTX or some of the chemo drugs.

Exactly. I stayed on the biologic but came off MTX because of its effects on the immune system. I got very sick last year due to weakened immune system so wasn't willing to risk getting Covid with no ability to fight it.

I didn't experience any major set-back by being off MTX which was interesting. Not to the extent that I expected anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Hi. I've had psoriasis for 12 tears; all on my scalp, torso, bum etc - nowhere visible unless I want someone to see it. But now, the full length of my two arms are beginning to get red, peely & I just know I'm in for massive patches very soon. Is there anyway (she wept piteously) that i can stop it in it's tracks before it takes over? All advice much appreciated.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

rubadub wrote: »
    Found an Irish online chemist with dovonex for 24.50, its usually 25,

They sell a max of 2 and you get free delivery if its over 30euro. So not huge savings but saves you travelling outside.

https://www.inishpharmacy.com/p/dovonex-psoriasis-ointment-60gm/a18725

400g sudocrem is 10.95 which is a bit cheaper than tesco or supervalu

Eurax is 10.99 which is cheaper than I usually pay.

this place has 15% off skin cream products, offer ending today, maximum order of 2 dovonex, €20.82 with the money off. The do cocois and eurax too, probably others that people often use.

What do people think of dovonex? I find it pretty ineffective, even more so when you compare to dovobet, might just be me

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    Hi. I've had psoriasis for 12 tears; all on my scalp, torso, bum etc - nowhere visible unless I want someone to see it. But now, the full length of my two arms are beginning to get red, peely & I just know I'm in for massive patches very soon. Is there anyway (she wept piteously) that i can stop it in it's tracks before it takes over? All advice much appreciated.

Have you been to see anyone about it?
    I have had it for years, bits here and there, everyone seems to have different opinions but for me there are certain foods that trigger it like dairy or too much wheat. Have you any foods that you think might be causing issues?
    Also as it gets worse, which in turn makes you more conscious of it, the stress drives it mad.

What do people think of dovonex? I find it pretty ineffective, even more so when you compare to dovobet, might just be me
    I still find it good. dovobet is just dovonex with steroids in it, which is why I would not go near it.

• Advertisement

risks of stopping? You mean in terms of the re-emergence of the psoriasis or are there other risks?

If you stop your psoriasis will come back with a vengeance

rubadub wrote: »
    I still find it good. dovobet is just dovonex with steroids in it, which is why I would not go near it.

That's why I don't find it as good, maybe its the steroids I need!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Have you been to see anyone about it?
    I have had it for years, bits here and there, everyone seems to have different opinions but for me there are certain foods that trigger it like dairy or too much wheat. Have you any foods that you think might be causing issues?
    Also as it gets worse, which in turn makes you more conscious of it, the stress drives it mad.
    My psoriasis is clearly genetic. Multiple uncles, cousins, siblings have it. However, mine differs from theirs, in that theirs is cyclical. Theirs comes & goes. My just comes and stays and spreads. It’s heartbreaking watching it taking hold of my arms, and not bloody thing I can do about it. Ugh

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Have Psoriasis over 20 years and light therapy in 2018, totally cleared up and stayed clear for 2 years.

I also find an anti inflammatory diet helps.

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    My psoriasis is clearly genetic. Multiple uncles, cousins, siblings have it. However, mine differs from theirs, in that theirs is cyclical. Theirs comes & goes. My just comes and stays and spreads. It’s heartbreaking watching it taking hold of my arms, and not bloody thing I can do about it. Ugh

Book in to see a dermatologist, a GP can only do some much(very little actually) to control it.

I started stelara 2 years ago this month and it’s literally been life changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Starting stelara mid Oct. Held out as wanted to see the craic with the Corona. Patches are getting worse so time to make the move.

Starting stelara mid Oct. Held out as wanted to see the craic with the Corona. Patches are getting worse so time to make the move.

Just be careful and you’ll be fine.

I'm on something similar (Guselkumab) - 2 months in. It seems like the feedback I got here was solid - people said to expect results in 3 months. I'm already seeing some of it clearing up. It's been a long time coming - been dealing with psoriasis for over 5 years - and the last year it's been really bad.

Follow the medical advice your getting. I'm sure it should be fine - they wouldn't administer it unless it was relatively safe to do so. In my case (bearing in mind its a related drug but still not the same drug) they told me when covid started, they were not sure if it would be an issue but when they started me on it a couple of months ago, they said they were satisfied that it's not got a bad interaction in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Looptheloop30

That's what I wanted/needed to hear. Thanks

• Advertisement

I’m on stelara a little over two years, and I’m happy to report ‘touch wood’ that I have zero psoriasis right now, and haven’t had any covid issues, and hopefully won’t either going forward!

I could have been lucky, but I started seeing results in weeks, not months.

was essentially covered at the beginning of September, and by the middle of October I was 90% clear, went to Florida on holidays for Halloween that year and wore shorts and t shirts for the first time ever since I was in school.

Advertisement