Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Abbikideff wrote: »
    I tried Dermocinz several years ago, website was the exact same.

It had no effect whatsoever on me. And if the website has not changed at all in all these years, it really doesn't imply that business is going well ...

I managed to order by searching for dermalogics,that link posted is impossible to order from by anything other than cheque.

I'll give it a go anyway,if it doesn't work so be it.
    It won't be the first thing I bought that didn't work and I doubt it will be the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Dermacinz didnt work for me either and spent a small fortune on it. But what doesnt work for one might work miracles for others. So worth a try.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Hey guys, what's the commonly aggreed best treatment for scalp psoriasis?

I always thought I just had bad dandruff and I started on the nizoral a few years back, it did help but it doesn't seem to be working so well anymore.

My computer desk gets covered in flakes and I get flaky red blemishes around my nose and forehead sometimes which couldn't be dandruff.It seems to break out from time to time but my scalp is always flaking. It's getting very embarassing to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MerryLegs

jayteecork wrote: »
    Hey guys, what's the commonly aggreed best treatment for scalp psoriasis?

I always thought I just had bad dandruff and I started on the nizoral a few years back, it did help but it doesn't seem to be working so well anymore.

My computer desk gets covered in flakes and I get flaky red blemishes around my nose and forehead sometimes which couldn't be dandruff.It seems to break out from time to time but my scalp is always flaking. It's getting very embarassing to be honest.

Dermacinz. Its a northern Ireland and UK product. Best I ever used, you can order it online.

http://www.dermacinz.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

MerryLegs wrote: »
    Dermacinz. Its a northern Ireland and UK product. Best I ever used, you can order it online.

http://www.dermacinz.co.uk/
    So you, or anybody else know if its in any pharmacies in dublin?
    jayteecork wrote: »
    .It seems to break out from time to time but my scalp is always flaking.
    I still use coconut oil to moisturise. It is solid at room temp and just melts at body temp so it is nice to apply. Instead of small flakes you get bigger bits and they do not just really fall/flake off, you sort of rub/peel them off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

rubadub wrote: »
    So you, or anybody else know if its in any pharmacies in dublin?
    Only available online I think.
    It did absolutely nothing for me,actually made some parts worse so be wary if you are trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

for anyone with facial p ive done alot reaserch to see whats effective as their isint much out there and alot are steroid creams..

havent used anything in years except aquous cream to wash face and different moisurizers found 1 or 2 that worked well enough

i started using silkis yesterday and im seeing results well i hope it continues. first time ive used anything in ages and its not a steroid. its greasy though but im hoping it fully clears my skin and can use small bits of it after that

i dont have it too bad but i do get flare-ups that were getting worse, like sore, itchy and would stay for a long time hard to clear and hopefully now this silkis will work properly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Hi, my OH has what looks like plaque psoriasis in and around his belly button, it's been like it for 2 years now. He also has the smooth, flat but bright red variety of psoriasis between his buttocks, which he says has been there asking as he can remember.
    Now he's been to the docs about 4 times in the last 2 years over his belly button and been prescribed different combinations of creams and tablets. It always comes back once the treatment is over. The doctor has never suggested that it could be psoriasis but he is going back tomorrow be ausr it's particularly ba at the moment.

Should he ask if it could be psoriasis? Or ask for a referral to a dermatologist? Are doctors generally willing to do referrals or is it difficult to get one?

Just want to help him cos it gets him down

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I went to my GP as im a bit out of control at the minute and hes given me an antibiotic to try and see if it works. Has anyone else tried that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I went to my GP as im a bit out of control at the minute and hes given me an antibiotic to try and see if it works. Has anyone else tried that?

As far as I know antibiotics are normally used when there is an infection. For instance if the diseased skin is broken and an infection forms there.

But I am only just starting out with psoriasis so there may be other occasions where they are used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I did some research on this today and it seems that certain types of psorasis are caused by the same bacteria which causes strep throath which I think is callled streptococci? These antibiotics should work if thats the case, in theory anyway.
    Apparently, the bacteria which causes strep throath breeds in the tonsils so some suffers have them removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I did some research on this today and it seems that certain types of psorasis are caused by the same bacteria which causes strep throath which I think is callled streptococci? These antibiotics should work if thats the case, in theory anyway.
    Apparently, the bacteria which causes strep throath breeds in the tonsils so some suffers have them removed.
    That's interesting Ryan would you have any links?
    I thought it was a purely an autoimmune condition, so i would be really interested in reading any new info on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

That's interesting about the tonsils.. I've had mine out, I suffer from psoriasis and asthma and they have to be linked.

My scalp is very raw and itchy at the minute, I'm wondering if it's due to my damp bedroom. Have used cocois and sone medicated shampoos but nothing alleviates the symptoms greatlly

The only thing that has worked for me is going to a hot country. Two weeks in Croatia and my scalp was almost clear.

Do sunbeds alleviate symptoms on the scalp too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ceol18

i haven't read through every page of this thread so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before, but Betnovate has worked brilliantly for me in the past, the only problem being that you have to be very persistant with it, and given that the tubes it comes in aren't that big, I've had to have it prescribed a fair few times. As well as that it is extremely strong, and I think that somehow now my skin has built up an immunity to it...It's been taking longer and longer to take effect...! But I've found if i leave a few weeks inbetween without using it (during which the redness tends to come back slightly) I can use it again for a week or so and it'll give me good short-term effects.....Doesn't keep it away forever unfortunately =(

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Does anyone know if hydrocortisol skin ointment 1% is prescription only or can you get it over the counter?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wapo

Hi guys.
    I also suffer from psoriasis...Its caused by an Immune System disorder and in most cases its incurable. However it can be controlled very effectively in a "natural" way without using damaging steroid creams etc...Because the problem is comming from within the body its important to try and find out the "trigger" its no use just treating the simptome.

First (if you can) get a food allergy test (you could be amased by the result)
    Dont be afraid to expose your skin to the sun(in moderation & never burn)
    Avoid stress (very important)
    Always always always use body and hair products which do not contain ANY chemicails they will just agravate dry and irritate the affected area....If your not sure of an ingredient Google it.
    I use a combination of organic sheabutter, organic aloe vera, and an organic body milk baised on aloe vera & marigold...
    Works great for me, I get very few breakouts and the problem is controled in a natural way.
    Hope this helps!
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I'v recently started using Sudocrem for my psoriasis, and I'm pleased with the results.

aujopimur wrote: »
    I'v recently started using Sudocrem for my psoriasis, and I'm pleased with the results.
    I find sudocrem too thick for larger areas, it is hard to wash off.

You can dilute it down with baby oil which is liquid paraffin, one of sudocrem's main ingredients. It washes off easier, esp. if putting it on your scalp. Or you can use the baby oil to dilute it while its on the skin to get if off easier.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Guys I've been having some success using an anti-fungal cream followed by e45 cream (the one with the paraffin in it).

The fungal cream dries the skin out but the e45 fixes that.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kenny

I've had p for about 20 years (christ!).

From Scotland originally, growing up I had a mixture of topical (creams, lotions etc..) followed by UVB in my teens...with mixed results. UVB probably was the most successful but I think that may be because I could never be bothered with the topical treatments due to the mess/smell (esp tar) and UVB did give you a tan :-). But UVB is limited due to the obvious dangers of skin cancer etc..

I lived in Dublin for 5 years and let my treatment slip, didn't seem to be much in the way of treatment available then. P flared up naturally.

I moved back to Glasgow about 6 years ago and decided to go back to the dermatologist that treated me before. I was offered the chance to go onto a course of medication rather than resume topical/UVB. Seems this is the way to go now in the UK as there are a few drugs now available.

I was on methotrexate (MTX) until a month ago, 4 years in total. Worked superb on my p but the side effects can take a bit out of you. I think the original use was as chemotherapy, sort of explains how it works by slowing down rapid cell development. Anyway, got to the stage that I was feeling so run down because of the MTX that my p was getting worse, catch 22! I spoke to my dermatologist and was offered Acitretin as an alternative, haven't been on it long enough to judge how well it'll work but the side effects seems to be less hectic...just dry lips.

Scanning this thread there doesn't seem to be any mention of this type of treatment...is it available in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I'm suprised the hear that your were prescribed methotroxate which is pretty toxic and is a highly controlled medication here in Ireland ,although I don't have personal experience, I have a friend who is on this for a serious medical condition and I'm well aware of its potency and side effects and long term complications which it can cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Splinkk

I have psoriasis on my scalp, but fortunately its not visible and only gives me any bother when I'm stressed out and gets annoyingly itchy! But my Dad has suffered for years with it, and its all over his limbs, torso, and his scalp is pretty much covered in it.

He's been to numerous doctors and therapists over the years to try get something to alleviate it (creams, steroids, holistic therapy, diet, diet supplements) and nothing has worked.

However just before Christmas he began light therapy treatment for it in the Mater Hospital, he just goes in once a week. The sessions start at 30 seconds, and then build themselves up over time.

Its actually amazing how much his psoriasis has improved from the therapy, the patches are no longer raised up, and there is no dry flaky skin attached to the patches anymore. It doesn't itch anywhere near as much as it used to, and he also has a nice tan from the treatment! haha

He still uses the emulsifying lotion, just as a moisturizer, but after 20+ years of seeing my Dad going crazy with Psoriasis, finally one treatment has actually worked. I'd recommend anyone who suffers with the scourge to ask their GP about light therapy treatment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kenny

I'm suprised the hear that your were prescribed methotroxate which is pretty toxic and is a highly controlled medication here in Ireland ,although I don't have personal experience, I have a friend who is on this for a serious medical condition and I'm well aware of its potency and side effects and long term complications which it can cause.

Its used for moderate/severe cases, esp when arthritis is present which I don't have thankfully.

You're monitored and bloods are taken every 3 months to ensure that everything stays within the limits, esp' to do with liver function.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Been on MTX a long time myself,bloods ares till good
    for me.
    What are the long term complications you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

dahat wrote: »
    Been on MTX a long time myself,bloods ares till good
    for me.
    What are the long term complications you speak of?

http://www.psorsite.com/docs/methotrexate.html

The less common side effects of long-term methotrexate treatment include liver damage and reversible living scarring developing reversible liver scarring. The risk of liver damage increases if a person drinks alcohol, has abnormal kidney function, is obese, has diabetes or has had prior liver disease. Years after the drug, in rare occasions, certain types of cancer, such as lymphoma, and bone marrow toxicity have occurred. Methotrexate can cause a reduced white blood cell count increasing infection risk.

Individuals taking methotrexate must have regular blood tests to ensure that the drug is safely processed by the body including the liver, white blood cells and bone marrow. Additionally, the liver must be biopsied at regular intervals.

Pregnancy should be avoided if either partner is taking methotrexate. Men should be off methotrexate at least three months before trying to conceive. Women should wait at least four months after stopping methotrexate to become pregnant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zaind69

Redbhoy wrote: »
    I recently purchased a tiny tub of herbal cream and some pills from the Chinese Health shop in the Blanchardstown centre. Ive only been using them for about a week or so but Im impressed with the progress. The sores arent so flaky and in some cases are shrinking in size and it seems to be clearing behind the ears.
    €20 for the tub and €45 for the pills.

What is it called?

I used my UVB light on my feet -contact dermatitis, and on my hands -eczema, and it cleared up both. They usually only really get bad in winter time.

Looking up studies it shows it is used for both, but as light therapy usually is done in hospitals I would say they would not usually prescribe it, simply as it is so expensive and time consuming for hospitals & patients to be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I don't know why you are surprised.
    Methotrexate is a standard medication for severe psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis,
    In Ireland and in many other countries.

The doses prescribed for psoriasis / arthritis are a very small fraction of the doses used for chemotherapy.
    As has already been said by other posters, all methotrexate patients have regular liver function blood tests and are warned about the side affects.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

I've had it for about 20 years now, and its a c*nt of a condition. I'm now showing signs of arthritis too and am waiting for an appt to see a rheumatologist.

Ive tried everything over the years from hypnotherapy to Methotrexate and am having very little success. I'll be starting on etanercept on 7th Feb and I hope I start getting some relief.

Been on MTX since May and despite a good start it just didnt agree with me. I have hardly slept a full night since November, so derm recons the biologics are the next step!

is anybody else using etanercept/enbrel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    I've had it for about 20 years now, and its a c*nt of a condition. I'm now showing signs of arthritis too and am waiting for an appt to see a rheumatologist.

Ive tried everything over the years from hypnotherapy to Methotrexate and am having very little success. I'll be starting on etanercept on 7th Feb and I hope I start getting some relief.

Been on MTX since May and despite a good start it just didnt agree with me. I have hardly slept a full night since November, so derm recons the biologics are the next step!

is anybody else using etanercept/enbrel?

I am using Enbrel,really did find it a massive help.In fact i credit it with turning my suffering around totally.
    I have Arthritis and it has helped so much that i can now do some road running within reason,5k-10k.......

Advertisement