Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Try and be positive, your worry and self conciousness wont be helping the condition. Stress is a big trigger. Im sure the UVB light will work, I would suggest trying what the person posted about a few posts back, the coal tar with the uvb light, I know Coal Tar alone for me works really well, its cheap and is smelly but it works though it does take a few weeks to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

fionny wrote: »
    Try and be positive, your worry and self conciousness wont be helping the condition. Stress is a big trigger. Im sure the UVB light will work, I would suggest trying what the person posted about a few posts back, the coal tar with the uvb light, I know Coal Tar alone for me works really well, its cheap and is smelly but it works though it does take a few weeks to work.

Thanks Fionny :) it does help to know there are 1000's of people out their going through the same, but it's taking over my life at this stage as it's so bad :( Positive thoughts will help so I gotta cop on and just wait it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Hi, I feel your pain, I have plague too and my skin really bad at the minute, my skin reacts badly when I come in fron the cold to heated environment, its so itchy at the moment,and my feet are red raw. I too am going to get a lamp and try it, may I ask where is the best place, I was thinking Murrays or Fanin Healthcare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I highly recommend the coal tar stuff guys. I'm always itchy and its the only thing that calms it down. As for it in the chemists, some have it some dont. I got a bit tub at the start of the year for a bout 50euro and i'm only half way through it.

Failing that, try removing sugar from your diet. I wasnt sleeping from the itching and it helped me an awful lot.

What sets me off are fizzy drinks, wine, sugar, sweets, chocolate, ice cream; all the good stuff basically but at least I'm sleeping better now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭billbond4

Johanna3 wrote: »
    Hi all

Does anyone know of a Chinese practitioner in Ireland that can supply herbs in a cooked form that you add hot water to make a tea, in other words you dont have to boil up all the herbs yourself at home. I take herbs for a skin condition and they are the most effective treatment I have had to date, however it is messy and time consuming to prepared them, plus I will be travelling with work in the new year so I need them in a more convenient form, any one that has any info on this please?

My brother used to go to a Chinese practitioner in Cork City and he would get a load of herbs/bark that my brother would have to boil and make a tea out of it, maybe try searching online for his number.
    I will ask him if he still has details

• Advertisement

Hi all, I have tried without luck to get polytar emolliant but my local chemist don't have it and never knew about it, where can I purchase it, many thanks in advance.

alie wrote: »
    Hi, I feel your pain, I have plague too and my skin really bad at the minute, my skin reacts badly when I come in fron the cold to heated environment, its so itchy at the moment,and my feet are red raw. I too am going to get a lamp and try it, may I ask where is the best place, I was thinking Murrays or Fanin Healthcare.

I actually bought mine off ebay! For €200 :) some German dude is selling them but they have loads and you have good choices regarding prices :) I didnt know where else to find them so ebay to save the day once again!

Good luck I will let you know how I get on with my lamp (it's being delivered next week)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hi all, I have tried without luck to get polytar emolliant but my local chemist don't have it and never knew about it,
    I got mine on www.chemistdirect.co.uk they do not seem to have it now, and other people said they had trouble. I only ever got the weak shampoo in a chemist here.
    DeltaWhite wrote: »
    I actually bought mine off ebay! For €200 :)
    Some places will charge a fortune simply because it has a "medical" tag attached to the product. Like places charge a fortune for "medical" cushions, when the manufacturing cost is a pittance more. Or like scholl sell regular baking soda as "shoe deodoriser" for about 20 times the price per gram as baking soda.

The handheld lights all seem to use the same 9W narrowband phillips bulb. Some bigger handheld ones have 2 of these bulbs. I got my bulb for about €50 delivered from the UK. Then you need a light fitting with a ballast in it to accept this bulb -which has a G23 socket, so you need a G23 lamp/bulb holder.

This UK place does complete lights http://www.androv-medical.com/section/5/1/

I got my bulb here, had to email them to arrange payment & post, good & fast to deal with
    http://www.bulbfinderdirect.co.uk/uv/pl-s9w/01/prod_47035.html

This is a desktop one which would take it that bulb
    http://www.vikingdirect.ie/a/pb/Helix-Classic-Daylight-Desklamp-Titanium/id=VL2020/#tabdescclass

The light there is rated for 11W, so a lower power 9W is fine to use in it, i.e. it is fine to be under, but not plug a 15W bulb in a 11W supply.

This might be too big & bulky to use. You might get smaller ones for reptile lights which would be suited to hand use. Reptile lights will come with UVB bulbs but are NOT the bulb we want, but some might have the same G23 fitting. The smaller fitting might not suit 9W.

I think in the US the bulbs are prescription only, they do not trust home use. These bulbs can cause serious sunburn, they are not to be taken lightly. If it says to start out at 30sec many will think "jaysus, thats not enough", but thats like thinking "these pills are tiny, it says max dose of 2 but sure I'll try 6". A good timer is ESSENTIAL.

You can read a proper report on home use here

http://www.bmj.com/content/338/bmj.b1542

Polytar emolliant has been removed from the Irish market due to serious concerns with the product, it will be on sale again in May 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Polytar emolliant has been removed from the Irish market due to serious concerns with the product, it will be on sale again in May 2013.

Very interesting. Do you have a link to a source with more information,
    I would be interested in knowing what the concerns are and what modification are being made.

Thanks

• Advertisement

It could be gone prescription only. I had said before that high strength coal tar shampoos/treatments are prescription only in some countries -and I wondered how polytar got away with this highly concentrated stuff. Since they instruct you to dilute it they might have got away with it. But perhaps the authorities have closed this loophole.

This uk pharmacy seems to be selling it.
    http://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/polytar-emollient-p4223.html

while boots is asking for a prescription
    http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/EndecaSearchListerView?storeId=10052&langId=-1&catalogId=11051&stReq=1&searchTerm=Polytar+Emollient&newDepSearch=&x=0&y=0#container
    but none needed for this other polytar lower strength coal tar product.

http://www.boots.com/en/Polytar-Plus-500ml_7474/

EDIT just found this.
    https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/news-and-views/view/round-up-of-unavailable-treatments
    2nd October 2012
    Polytar - There has been a temporary discontinuation of the entire Polytar range, due to a manufacturing issue. Polytar is expected to become available again in the Spring of 2013, around March or April.

3rd August 2012
    The most recent treatments to have been affected are coal-tar based scalp applications:

Psorin Scalp Gel- The new manufacturer has been unable to source a supplier for the active ingredient. There are no certainties at present as to when Psorin Scalp Gel will become available.

Alphosyl 2 in 1 Shampoo- There have been some issues in manufacture, but these are being resolved and a date of the 25th October is being given as for when the shampoo will return to availability.

Polytar Plus Liquid- There are some unresolved issues in manufacture, and the manufacturer cannot say when this may become available again.

It was from the manufacturer. Not available on prescrition either until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Anomic

Hey,

I had Psoriasis for years, but after coming across a cure in an old herbal book , its completly gone and hasnt returned, and thats over 6 months ago. Have also passed it onto a few other folk and its worked for them too.

All you need is Chickweed. Buy it from a herb shop or online, get a clean jar and fill it with chickweed , and cover it with olive oil or any oil. Leave in the jar min 6 weeks, then just strain and mix with beeswax to make a salve.

Its the only thing that every worked for me. Ive tried every product I could find over the years. It was especially bad on my legs, I used to scratch in my sleep and would wake up covered in blood. Nothing left now, not even dried skin patches. The chickweed worked within 2 weeks, i covered the bloody patches with a bandage & would leave it on for a few days. The skin just washed away in the shower. Now i mosturise with vaseline once a week and ive been psoriasis free since.

I harvested my own chickweed this summer, but can also buy in Quay Co-OP healthfood shop in Cork, i know you can buy it on amazon aswell, just a bit pricier.

Pm me if anyone wants more detailed instructions.

Hope it helps.

My scalp has cleared well from using the UVB & coal tar, however I see a brand new very nasty, very small patch on my leg. I also have 2 new very light patches on my face. I was wondering if anybody experienced outbreaks elsewhere when another patch went away due to a topical treatment (rather than say changing your diet).

I had heard theories of psoriasis being due to some like leaky gut syndrome. That there are 'toxins' in your body that have to get out and manifest themselves as psoriasis. One theory is changing your diet will stop these toxins, and that using topical treatments like steroids or UVB are temporary, or rather clearing up symptoms but not the root cause.

So now one "outlet for toxins" is closed, the scalp. So it has to go elsewhere, namely new patches. So if I treat this patch others might develop. Thing is I would obviously rather have a patch on my leg, than face or hands. So if I left it untreated it is the "outlet" and if I do treat it I run the risk of more visible patches.

On the otherhand it could be like a sort of mould regrowing since it is not cleaned out of the system entirely. In which case I should be treating it.

Has anyone taken actonel ? Not only is it excellent for bones its also good for skin.

rubadub wrote: »
    My scalp has cleared well from using the UVB & coal tar, however I see a brand new very nasty, very small patch on my leg. I also have 2 new very light patches on my face. I was wondering if anybody experienced outbreaks elsewhere when another patch went away due to a topical treatment (rather than say changing your diet).

I had heard theories of psoriasis being due to some like leaky gut syndrome. That there are 'toxins' in your body that have to get out and manifest themselves as psoriasis. One theory is changing your diet will stop these toxins, and that using topical treatments like steroids or UVB are temporary, or rather clearing up symptoms but not the root cause.

So now one "outlet for toxins" is closed, the scalp. So it has to go elsewhere, namely new patches. So if I treat this patch others might develop. Thing is I would obviously rather have a patch on my leg, than face or hands. So if I left it untreated it is the "outlet" and if I do treat it I run the risk of more visible patches.

On the otherhand it could be like a sort of mould regrowing since it is not cleaned out of the system entirely. In which case I should be treating it.

That's a very interesting theory! I was with a nurse the other day and it was not actually a visit about my psoriasis, but obviously you cant ignore how shockingly bad it is on my body... and she told me something similar! She went to a Kinesiologist. It is kind of similar to alternative medicine, but it was really interesting as the nurse in question suffered a lot with sore throats/colds maybe 3/4 times a year! And the consultation resulted in her discovering she had a low tolerance for Dairy products.. so since she cut that out of her diet she hasnt been sick once! It's interesting as I have wondered if this is why my psoriasis is so bad and wont go away :/ I am going to go visit one myself and see what they say! Will get back to you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Im back using the Coal Tar and Urea after irregularly using Dovobet and I have to say it is really good stuff, it takes a while to start working but it works really well when it does and totally cleared some patches without a sign the last time I used it.

Its also super cheap compared to the perscription crap! only problem is currently it seems a little tricky to get a hold of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭tritriagain

my dad suffered with psorisis for 50 years really bad with it especially in stressful times. he then found out he was gluten and wheat intolerant and has been practically psorisas free since he found out five years ago.

fionny wrote: »
    Im back using the Coal Tar and Urea after irregularly using Dovobet and I have to say it is really good stuff, it takes a while to start working but it works really well when it does and totally cleared some patches without a sign the last time I used it.

Its also super cheap compared to the perscription crap! only problem is currently it seems a little tricky to get a hold of it.

I was looking at some of that Urea stuff on Amazon the other day! I didnt know whether to chance it or not but I think I will give it a go, seeing as I seem to have tried EVERYTHING else!! Thanks for the tip :)

Local chemist has coal tar in white tubs, is the same as polytar or what way would you use it.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Local chemist has coal tar in white tubs, is the same as polytar or what way would you use it.?

I assume it is coal tar pomade or coal tar ointment.

Its a dark brown slightly sticky, slightly smelly cream.
    You use it like any other cream, but it is easier to use it overnight and shower it off in the morning.

As has been said before, its slow to start, but a lot of people find it a very effective treatment and has no side effects apart from the risk of sunburn, which is easily avoided. You can use it forever.

it does dry your smooth skin, so use plenty of mousteriser and i always use gloves when applying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭orlaxxx

hey, to tell yous all psoriasis sufferers that moogoo shampoo is amazing!! absolute magic!! cleared up psoriasis completely!!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

That's interesting. How bad was was it in your scalp prior to using this shampoo? Have you used any other moogoo products that have helped?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭orlaxxx

NEDDURC wrote: »
    That's interesting. How bad was was it in your scalp prior to using this shampoo? Have you used any other moogoo products that have helped?

i also have tried scalp cream but it didnt work at all to be honest. my scalp was pretty awful my psoriasis was extremely itchy and used to bleed quite often. i had tried every thing. i gave up gluten and used polytar and every shampoo i could get my hands on but finally i found moogoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

orlaxxx wrote: »
    i also have tried scalp cream but it didnt work at all to be honest. my scalp was pretty awful my psoriasis was extremely itchy and used to bleed quite often. i had tried every thing. i gave up gluten and used polytar and every shampoo i could get my hands on but finally i found moogoo.

oh that's really interesting, i had read your first post and thought "lucky her" cause i thought moo goo was rubbish but i had only tried the cream and it was just like a moisturiser, nothing more. must try the shampoo though, i just never bothered trying as the cream was useless for me.

I hate the bother of applying all these lotions and creams too so if the shampoo works ill be delighted and it doesn't stink like the tar ones either.

I've been getting UVB treatment in James' Hospital and the ladies there in the Phototherapy Department told me that if you use baby oil or olive oil every night before bed on your scalp, then gently wash it out with Fairy Washing up Liquid in the morning your scalp will get better...

My scalp is actually cleared since I started doing it :) Hope that will help some of you out there! Its the ONLY thing that has worked for me, I have spent a fortune on all those manky shampoos and not one thing worked like this!
    Doesnt cost much either! And the shine off your hair after is unreal :D

The moogoo site lists the ingredients on their products and what they do, so you might be able to try some of those on their own or mixed up.
    DeltaWhite wrote: »
    baby oil or olive oil every night before bed on your scalp, then gently wash it out with Fairy Washing up Liquid in the morning your scalp will get better...

My scalp is actually cleared since I started doing it :)
    Many sites advise against baby oil as it is petroleum based. I saw no problems myself though. I have used coconut oil and regular vegetable oil with good results. Coconut oil has antibacterial properties which may help. I also made my own mixtures diluting sudocrem with veg oil. This is very messy and hard to get off though, I have a shaved head so it is easier, you can use something like a old credit card and scrap it off like a window cleaning wiper thing.

The fairy might also cause a reaction in some people. Don't be fooled by the baby on the bottle, its incredibly powerful stuff, my friend told me of guys cleaning up hydraulic oil spills with the stuff when the "industrial cleaning" products did feck all.

http://www.theecologist.org/green_green_living/behind_the_label/268721/behind_the_label_fairy_liquid.html
    So what’s really in the (fairy) bottle? No one outside the P&G labs really knows. The ingredients label is woefully inadequate (see above) and P&G told us to find what we were looking for on the internet. After an extensive web search we did indeed find some - but not all - information on the components that make up Fairy Liquid.

• Aqua
    • Sodium laureth sulphate
    • Alcohol denat
    • Lauramine oxide
    • C9-11 pareth-8
    • Sodium chloride
    • 1,3-Cyclohexanedimethanamine
    • PPG (polypropylene glycols)
    • Dimethyl aminoethyl methecrylate/hydroxyproply acrylate copolymer cirate
    • Parfum
    • Geraniol
    • Limonene
    • Colourant

This list corresponds well with P&Gs own ‘safety data sheet’ for its original Fairy Liquid. The first thing that jumps out about this information is how well Fairy illustrates the problem that so little data exists or is indeed required on the components of common household products, even though human exposure and environmental impact are the key issues for a product of this type.

Anionic and non-ionic detergents can cause irritation to the skin, eyes and mucous membranes. Some, such as the ethoxylated alcohols sodium laureth sulphate and C9-11 pareth 8, can be contaminated with the carcinogen 1,4 dioxane. Several of the detergents and perfumes are known allergens and sensitisers, likely to be made harsher by the skin-denaturing effect of sticking your bare hands into hot water. Using a dish detergent in hot water also creates another health hazard- chemical vapours. In hot water the chemicals vaporise and are inhaled as steam; and some of Fairy’s ingredients, such as 1.3-Cyclohexanedimenthanamine, can produce vapours that cause severe irritation to the eyes and respiratory tract.
    Sodium laureth sulphate is well known to be bad for psoriasis in many people.
    I would try baby shampoo (if I had hair!). Though as it is being rinsed off quick enough it might not be so bad.

rubadub wrote: »
    The moogoo site lists the ingredients on their products and what they do, so you might be able to try some of those on their own or mixed up.

Many sites advise against baby oil as it is petroleum based. I saw no problems myself though. I have used coconut oil and regular vegetable oil with good results. Coconut oil has antibacterial properties which may help. I also made my own mixtures diluting sudocrem with veg oil. This is very messy and hard to get off though, I have a shaved head so it is easier, you can use something like a old credit card and scrap it off like a window cleaning wiper thing.

The fairy might also cause a reaction in some people. Don't be fooled by the baby on the bottle, its incredibly powerful stuff, my friend told me of guys cleaning up hydraulic oil spills with the stuff when the "industrial cleaning" products did feck all.

http://www.theecologist.org/green_green_living/behind_the_label/268721/behind_the_label_fairy_liquid.html

Sodium laureth sulphate is well known to be bad for psoriasis in many people.
    I would try baby shampoo (if I had hair!). Though as it is being rinsed off quick enough it might not be so bad.

That is mad, I cant believe they never even offered so much as a warning! For all they know I could have had really sensitive skin!! :confused:

I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones! Should offer warning to anyone else thinking of trying it, DO A SMALL PATCH TEST FIRST!!

Thanks rubadub for highlighting that :D

Never thought of a patch test, great idea. I have a spot on my chest and leg so could test things there, I don't care how bad they look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Made a post a few pages back about my mam receiving the light treatment in St.Vincents.
    Unfortunately it didn't agree with her and it was stopped after about 7 weeks.
    Some sessions during that time were cancelled as she was getting a bad reaction and it made the itch worse.
    This can happen and we were made aware of that from the start, just got to the stage were the consultant said it was not working and that they were stopping the treatment.
    She can't speak highly enough of the staff in there who continue to monitor her situation.

I read recently vitamin D is great for the imune system and also vitamin D oil. Has anyone tried these?

After seeing the above post i got her some Vitamin D tablets and it has more or less cleared up her psoriasis
    There is still a particularly bad patch on her leg which may need a skin graft, but everywhere else on her body has cleared including her scalp.

Also, these products are/were helping a great deal too. A friend recommended Oilatum as her son suffers with Eczema.
    I bought them online @ http://www.greenhealth.ie/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=22&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

Available in most chemists.

Oilatum Junior Cream (Pump)
    Oilatum Shower Gel Emollient
    Oilatum Junior Flare Up
    Vitamin D3 400iu Caps (You would need to look up the recommended dosage per day for your age)

She has stopped taking Vitamin D for the time being and is now taking some Vivoptal to give her a boost which contains Vitamin D anyway.

We are pretty much convinced it was the Vitamin D that done the trick.

Remains to be seen whether it stays like this but for the moment her situation is a lot better than a couple of months back.

Advertisement