Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

wonga77 wrote: »
    Ideally i would love to try http://www.androv-medical.com/product/214/androv-8000-full-body-uv-b-panel or something similar but financially thats out of my range. I wonder is it possible to put something together cheaper? Like you mentioned the bulbs can be got reasonable, your just paying for fitting frame and glasses and timer.
    I read of a guy putting large bulbs into a sunbed. The bulbs come with different type endings so you have to match them to the fitting. The bulbs for that one are £540.

Some like the smaller bulbs since you are only treating the necessary areas, and not needlessly exposing yourself to the radiation which some would worry about for skin cancer reasons. After reading up many studies I do not worry about it myself. I was actually thinking of treating unaffected areas to boost my vitamin D levels.
    I might just try that again. It cant hurt anyway
    Many would not go near it as its a steroid. Its a steroid combined with vitamin D cream. I think Dovonex is the brand which just has the vitamin D cream with no steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

rubadub wrote: »
    Many would not go near it as its a steroid. Its a steroid combined with vitamin D cream. I think Dovonex is the brand which just has the vitamin D cream with no steroids.
    Yes your right but they work in different ways. The steroid in dovobet reduces the inflammation as well as reducing the production of skin cells.
    The Dovonex only slows the production of skin cells so for it to work you must first use the dovobet for a while.
    When I started the regime i'm on now, I used dovobet daily for a week. I followed that by 5 days of Dovonex and 2 Days of Dovobet weekly, so basically dovonex during the week and dovobet at weekends and the results are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I don't think it's stress related either.
    When my father died, I thought "that's it, I'm in for a massive flare", but it didn't happen. Again in other stressful situations I thought "wait for it", and it never happened.
    Then I'll just flare up at silly times when I'm all relaxed about everything and have no worries.

I've been trying to suss out if it was a delayed flare at these odd times, but it isn't that either.

I think the most obvious flare I get is the winter one, when it gets colder, I get hit with it (that's because the very exposed and thin top of hands skin is one of my week spots though). There's no escaping that one.
    And the second most obvious is after I've had a drink, don't drink very often so it's pretty obvious then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I apologize if it's been mentioned already but I only recently learned that psoriasis is actually an autoimmune disorder.

I've had it since I was a child, and although I've never had it as bad as others, it's always been a source of shame and embarrassment for me as various times I had it bad on my elbows, etc.

I don't have it too bad at all anymore, but do get tiny patches still on my elbows and my scalp. I do however had a LOT of other autoimmune illnesses (alopecia, lichen planus), the most recent being Hashimotos Thyroiditius.

This is a path I am working towards committing to totally, might be worth checking out for some here too:

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/04/modifying-paleo-to-treat-psoriasis.html

Good luck to all, I know these illnesses can really cause a lot of problems in our lives, but there are new solutions emerging that, although tough in themselves, seem to bring a lot of relief once given a fair trial :)

I think the most obvious flare I get is the winter one, when it gets colder, I get hit with it (that's because the very exposed and thin top of hands skin is one of my week spots though)
    Also less sunlight in winter, so a drop in vitamin D levels.
    And the second most obvious is after I've had a drink, don't drink very often so it's pretty obvious then.
    I drink a lot. Its important to stay properly hydrated, I would put on moisturiser before going to bed to pre-empt it. I also take sodium bicarbonate (baking/bread soda) to try and neutralise acids produced. I started this so I would not wake up feeling sick from an over acidic stomach, but I have found if I do take it the flare ups are worse. I was reading that having an "alkaline system" helps and some foods are more prone to tip you one way or the other alkaline or acidic.

Baking soda is cheaper than most antacids which are stupidly overpriced, just like those lights, they lash a medical branding and charge a fortune. I mix a small bit in water, gulp it down like a shot and wash down with water right after. On its own its manky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Will have to try that thanks !
    Do you know, I think I have very acidic skin anyway, I've always thought that, I think in part because I kill pearls. Sounds bad :D. The nacre part of pearls is not exactly "alive", but I was told by jewellers that it is maintaining its lustre by some process or other. Well my skin ph stops that, and every pearl I've ever had (cultured or natural, I've tried a few ear rings, pendants, and ring from various sources and various prices) gradually gets greyish, and loses all its lustre, and the nacre eventually just peels off in ... plaques. :rolleyes:
    I've given up on real pearls forever. Some jewellers didn't understand it either, but just happened upon one that seemed to know a bit more about them.

Amazingfun, some day I might try the diets, but to be honest, the little trials of withdrawing one food or the other so far have yielded no results, so I'm not convinced. But a lot of these diets are healthier anyway, so don't know, some day if I feel up to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I have a small bit of psoriasis on my forehead and knees (very dry scalp also). I'm a 22 year old male. I'd like to think i'm relatively fit (!) but I probably don't eat enough fuit and veg and I personally think this might be linked to it. After a night out on the beer I also find it gets a bit worse! Anyway...I use Dovobet gel (white bottle with red cap) and I find it unbelievably good!! I can see the effects of it overnight. I would definitley recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭wonga77

Went to the pharmacy today, didnt realise dovobet was so expensive

I forgot to mention that bit! I think its like €100 a tube but a little goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,511 ✭✭✭brevity

Get it on the drug payment scheme. It's about 120-140 euro through it.

I remember when you could get it for 70 or 80 euro but the government cut the scheme.

EDIT: Make sure to ask for the big tube or its not really worth it.

• Advertisement

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I think its like €100 a tube but a little goes a long way.
    I had dermovate, a powerful steroid cream I had for dermatitis. I would mix it with vaseline to dilute it down so you could spread a thin, even, low potency amount on larger areas.

I also have a polytar emollient with a high coal tar % in it, this was intended to be used in a bath so it would have been really dilute.
    Tar Blend 25.00% w/w, Light Liquid Paraffin 35.00% w/w

Tar Blend comprises:

Pine tar BP 30% w/w, Cade oil BPC 30% w/w, Coal Tar Solution BP 10% w/w, Arachis Oil extract of Coal Tar BP 30% w/w.

while the shampoo figures are
    Polytar Liquid 1% w/w Shampoo

2. QUALITATIVE AND QUANTITATIVE COMPOSITION
    Tar Blend 1.00 % w/w comprises:
    Tar 0.3 % w/w
    Cade Oil 0.3 % w/w
    Coal Tar Solution 0.1 % w/w
    Arachis Oil* extract of Coal Tar 0.3 % w/w
    * also known as peanut oil

So the bath version has 25 times as much active ingredient as the shampoo, 25% vs 1% but I think it was only about twice the price per ml. Again this is showing the crazy prices they slap on things simply because they have a "medical" tag on them.

So I would dilute the bath one with baby oil, it also meant there were less other ingredients which I did not really want, like foaming agents for the "shampoo", in quotes since its really not for cleaning hair, this is the other stuff in the shampoo.
    Coconut Diethanolamine
    Hexylene Glycol
    Oleyl Alcohol
    Polysorbate 80
    Triethanolamine Lauryl Sulphate (42% Solution)
    Sodium Chloride
    Citric Acid Monohydrate
    Octylphenoxy Polyethoxy Ethanol
    Fragrance 5412
    Imidurea
    Purified Water

sheroman01 wrote: »
    I have a small bit of psoriasis on my forehead and knees (very dry scalp also). I'm a 22 year old male. I'd like to think i'm relatively fit (!) but I probably don't eat enough fuit and veg and I personally think this might be linked to it. After a night out on the beer I also find it gets a bit worse! Anyway...I use Dovobet gel (white bottle with red cap) and I find it unbelievably good!! I can see the effects of it overnight. I would definitley recommend it!
    Im also a 22 year old male also. I have never found a link with my diet but there could well be.
    How do you find the dovobet gel? I use the ointment but now you can only get it in large tubes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

sheroman01 wrote: »

I got horrible red bumps called perioral dermatitis all over my face that took months to go away due to using dovobet on my face, you have to be careful using steroid creams on your face as it can cause this condition.

sligoface wrote: »
    I got horrible red bumps called perioral dermatitis all over my face that took months to go away due to using dovobet on my face, you have to be careful using steroid creams on your face as it can cause this condition.

You can't use dovobet on your face at all. My GP gave me an ointment called protopic for my face which is safe to use and it works. I quite recently got dermatitis between my legs which he gave me Daktacort for and he said I can put that on my face as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I have daktacort and protopic, just got the worst flare up in a while last night this morning, which has been better on the face for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

My skin is acting up really bad at the moment, I'm on dermovate, and Fusibet for when it breaks down , just wondering if anyone has tried any natural remedies for the itch in particular.

I have daktacort and protopic, just got the worst flare up in a while last night this morning, which has been better on the face for you?
    If you have dermatitis then you need the Daktacort as that contains something to treat the infection, I've never actually put it on my face, just my GP said I can do.
    For flare ups I use the protopic twice a day for up to a week but most times a few days is enough. If you didn't have an infection that's what I would advise you to do.

alie wrote: »
    just wondering if anyone has tried any natural remedies for the itch in particular.
    Not sure what you consider natural, but baking soda is meant to treat itching. I use eurax which is in most chemists, there is liquid & cream, I prefer the cream, the large ones are a lot better value.

alie wrote: »
    My skin is acting up really bad at the moment, I'm on dermovate, and Fusibet for when it breaks down , just wondering if anyone has tried any natural remedies for the itch in particular.

If you want to have a go at the pagano diet i posted about earlier, the itch was one of the first symptoms that started to improve after cutting out alcohol, sweets, soda, and fried food. But for immediate relief i use dead sea bath salts which work wonders on my P or epsom salts in a warm bath, also as someone said, baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) in a bath is meant to be good as well. The Pagano book also says you can dissolve a teaspoon of sodium bicarb in a glass of water and drinknit to relieve itching, never tried it. I usually get itchty when i am going to bed, i sometimes take an OTC antihistamine tablet like Piriton which is meant to help with itching, also makes you drowsy. But that would not be a natural remedy obviously.

How is everyone doing? I'm due back with my GP next week for my regular follow up but I'm mostly ok.
    I do find that I have to use the dovobet a little more now that the winter weather has set in though

• Advertisement

I'm sorry if I've asked this before but has anyone used UV lamps (either at home or in hospital) that saw a definite improvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭musicfan1ie

I find myself using a few things to manage mine. Oilatum Shower gel and the one for baths is bliss. I use Euerin for the isolated parts of my face.

But, generally I try to just use sensitive creams gels for day to day use. Head and Shoulders sensitive, Nivea Senitive Showe Gel, Nivea sensitive shaving cream and Nivea face wash. Seems to work well for me. I always make sure that I use noon bio washing powders. When I go to a hotel, the starch sheets drives my skin nuts

I only developed psoriasis when I moved to Uk, seems the water is harsher where I was based, compared to ireland

I find myself using a few things to manage mine. Oilatum Shower gel and the one for baths is bliss. I use Euerin for the isolated parts of my face.

But, generally I try to just use sensitive creams gels for day to day use. Head and Shoulders sensitive, Nivea Senitive Showe Gel, Nivea sensitive shaving cream and Nivea face wash. Seems to work well for me. I always make sure that I use noon bio washing powders. When I go to a hotel, the starch sheets drives my skin nuts

I only developed psoriasis when I moved to Uk, seems the water is harsher where I was based, compared to ireland

Agree with all that except for the oilatum. I used the bath stuff years ago. It's ridiculously expensive and I didn't find it made a huge difference. Now I just use perfume free body washes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,511 ✭✭✭brevity

ryanf1 wrote: »
    How is everyone doing? I'm due back with my GP next week for my regular follow up but I'm mostly ok.
    I do find that I have to use the dovobet a little more now that the winter weather has set in though

Not great at the moment. My diet has gone to crap and it's making me very very itchy. I'm popping antihistamines like smarties!

I knew this would happen so I'm not that bothered. In the new year I'll be off the sugar, wine and pork and that will make things a lot better.

Gonna pick up a decent juicer and try out some of these juices as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

I'm sorry if I've asked this before but has anyone used UV lamps (either at home or in hospital) that saw a definite improvement?
    100% yes. Check out my posts from a few months ago.

Ive taken rubadub's advice and bought a small lamp like the one he linked to and a proper philips uvb bulb, looking forward to seeing the results. Tried it today and its really tempting to stay under it for a few minutes as you dont feel any sensation. So il start with 30 ish seconds at a time and see how I get on.
    For the record I bought it on ebay, heres a link, http://www.ebay.ie/itm/261275913795?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

about €80 or so incl postage which wasnt too bad as the bulbs are 30 to 40 on their own

Sure we'll see how we go...

If you want to see what exposure your skin can handle without burning, take a small piece of paper and use a hole punch to punch a row of holes in it. Use a bit of masking tape and tape it to your body, preferably somewhere with no p but close to where you have the p you want to treat, though probably not somewhere conspicuous/visible to others when clothed. Your arm works well, make sure if your lamp is large that you cover any exposed skin outside your little paper stencil so you don't burn those areas.

Shine light on the paper for thirty secs, cover the first hole with tape, shine again for thirty, cover second hole, and continue. If you have fair skin be careful and don't be going over say 2-3 minutes. Eventually you will probably have one small circular bit of burn like sunburn, which will give you a bit of a guide as to what the limit is for your bulb strength/skin type.

Right, day 5 of using, ive increased to a minute at a time per area, its enough at the moment, just enough for me to feel a little tingle afterwards. I wouldnt say theres a huge improvement but the p has thinned out ever so slightly. Obviously its early days but im happy enough with how its going so far. Should be interesting to see what the next 10 days bring.

hyaluronic acid has almost completely cleared mine up!

• Advertisement

hyaluronic acid has almost completely cleared mine up!

Where did u get it, how did you use it?

Advertisement