Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

if you shampooing out any oil's, you need to rub any shampoo into your hairy while its dry then wash out and just wash as normal then. No need for Fairy as its very harsh on scalp. Use a Baby Shampoo (not Johnsons!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭brevity

Hi everyone. I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend a good dermatologist in the Cork area. The psoraisis on my scalp is driving me mad. I've been using Bettamousse but as soon as I stop using it the psoraisis comes back right away. I haven't seen a dermatologist about my psorasis but I think it's time I did. I have psorasis on my scalp( mainly), my eyelids, ears, elbows, and patches dotted around my body. I feel like I need help with this as its starting to depress me and it's getting out of control. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    No, no no - I only use the washing up liquid to wash the greasy Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, or whatever oily product I left on my scalp overnight. Every 3 -4 weeks, I saturate my scalp with oil, cover with a shower cap, and leave on for the night. Unless I use the washing up liquid specifically targeting grease, my hair will be greasy looking for the next 3 days. As a rule, I certainly would not advocate using Fairy on my scalp.

I use a lot of coconut oil etc... but never use Fairy Liquid. I try and time it so that I don't have anything major coming up, like going out (pfff fat chance of that :rolleyes:), a wedding or something... Ok, it might mean I turn up for work with hair a bit greasy maybe one day if I treated on the Friday, but by the Monday it's usually not too bad.

I just found a shampoo that is brilliant for cleansing actually (not treating now !), you really have to apply conditioner afterwards, but for me it works great at removing coconut oil and other hair/scalp products. I have to treat the children for headlice regularly, and the products are a pain to remove, but this is good at that job.

I can't remember the name of it, and I'm too lazy to go check right now, but it's available in Sam McCauley's at 1.25 euros a bottle at the moment, there's all sorts of scents, and the conditioner that goes with it is not bad either ! I got the honey/almond one, and I went back and got the coconut one too (I'm going through my summery sweet scent phase, trying to fool myself into thinking it's not that cold out).

I found it in 2 different Sam McC's so it must be nationwide I'd say, and they had it in an obvious place like the end of an isle.

It's something like Basalm I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Fairy liquid dries out the skin very badly. Put it on an area a few times and my skin was flaking for days.

Mummy/Daddy, why is your hair so soft?
    Fairy liquid darling.

Have any of ye tried loreal for men anti dandruff intensive? Its in the black and orange bottle, a friend recommended it to me and he gets a very dry scap. Been trying it for a while now and its not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Hi just wondering if anyone has an recommendations for eyelid psorasis?? I have a small patch on 1 of my eyes 😕 Ive had psorasis in various locations over the years but they have always gone once I pop a bit of steroid cream on for a few days however Im scared to do that to my eyelid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Ok I don't think I'll be trying the fairy liquid idea. I have a very sensitive scalp so I don't want to irritate it. I find nizoral doesn't wash the oils out of my hair. I'm just so reluctant to use other shampoos. Pantene, timotei, head and shoulders can make my scalp even more itchy. I'll try out the shampoo from Sam Macauleys.

Does anyone find that their skin gets itchy but there are no scales. My legs can get very itchy and I'll scratch until I've broken the skin. I don't even realise I've broken the skin until it begins to sting a while later.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Ok I don't think I'll be trying the fairy liquid idea. I have a very sensitive scalp so I don't want to irritate it. I find nizoral doesn't wash the oils out of my hair. I'm just so reluctant to use other shampoos. Pantene, timotei, head and shoulders can make my scalp even more itchy. I'll try out the shampoo from Sam Macauleys.

Does anyone find that their skin gets itchy but there are no scales. My legs can get very itchy and I'll scratch until I've broken the skin. I don't even realise I've broken the skin until it begins to sting a while later.

My legs are the same, it can even hurt to walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

greenfrogs wrote: »

I'd say if you try the Sam McC's one, do one wash with it first, to remove oils, then wash a second time with whatever treating shampoo you have.

I do get very itchy too. My legs are covered in little drops and some larger patches on knees, so when I itch there, it kind of makes sense.

I did something stupid recently and shaved my legs instead of using the Braun depilator I usually use, I thought I might just get away with it... well about 50% of all the little goosebumps you sometimes get if you shaved dry became red, then became psoriasis drops :(

I'm pretty much full on with it again as I haven't juiced in ages. Really have to start again.

On the positive side, I think I'm having a really good year as regards arthritis, not half as bad as last winter when I was really sore in a lot of spots and hands were often swollen. Very little swelling and soreness this year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Hi just wondering if anyone has an recommendations for eyelid psorasis?? I have a small patch on 1 of my eyes 😕 Ive had psorasis in various locations over the years but they have always gone once I pop a bit of steroid cream on for a few days however Im scared to do that to my eyelid!

I've used the dovobet gel for my eyes. Very effective and has not thinned the skin. Usually only once or twice on affected area when there is a flare up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Few people talking about shampoo for scalp psoriasis. I've recommended nutrogena t-gel before on here. worth a try at only €6/7 approx ($10 in Australia for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Anyone tried almond oil? I got some from boots. I've had a stubborn bit on ankle for ages, which I've used as a testing ground for months between prescribed medications, lotions, cleansers etc and non-traditional stuff from online like honey and different oils.

Almond oil after a couple of days is actually healing it, in what seems to be a complete way. Other things before have made it less inflamed, or improved it a good bit. They always seemed to be masking the problem though. Right now with this oil it looks like it's healing/killing it permanently.

Ultra Pure Laboritories Almond Oil from boots. I wouldn't let you's know unless it was a definite thing I understand what it's like to get false hope. I haven't seen anything work on red/dry skin like this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ultra Pure Laboritories Almond Oil from boots.
    How much was it in boots? and how big? I see there is a 70ml & 500ml on their site

I think my castor oil is the same brand, they are irish.

http://www.ultrapurelabs.ie/products/castor-oil/

Some of these oils can be cheaper to buy from food shops. I was getting ear drops and there was a tiny bottle of olive oil for some ludicrous price, there was no additional active ingredients in it. My castor oil seemed a reasonable enough price though.

I see this 50ml bottle in boots for €1.95 http://www.boots.ie/en/Care-Almond-Oil-50ml_923894/

Oh yea I got the 70 ml bottle (and same brand castor oil). I'm certain they are overpriced, and no different to any other brand, I just didn't want to wait up to a week for amazon. I'm not sure of the exact price because they were purchased with loyalty points

I can't stress enough how night and day the almond oil is though. It's incredible to see the skin actually heal completely. Although I should caution, I've never had definitive proof that it is 'Psoriasis', if ye get me? All I know is it was completely dysfunctional skin, red, rough and sometimes itchy.

Oh yea I got the 70 ml bottle (and same brand castor oil). I'm certain they are overpriced, and no different to any other brand, I just didn't want to wait up to a week for amazon. I'm not sure of the exact price because they were purchased with loyalty points

I can't stress enough how night and day the almond oil is though. It's incredible to see the skin actually heal completely. Although I should caution, I've never had definitive proof that it is 'Psoriasis', if ye get me? All I know is it was completely dysfunctional skin, red, rough and sometimes itchy.

So have you never seen a dermatologist for a proper diagnosis? I had symptoms for a few years and 10 years ago now I got diagnosed properly, although I'm only know having my first attempt at UV Therapy

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Update from me and my whacky diet experiments.

I found out my Protein Powder that I was consuming wasn't really gluten free in that it had an artificial thickener in it that has been reported to aggravate people and cause digestion issues with some. So back to day 1 for me. I've since replaced it with another portion of meat/fish, which is a much better way to get protein anyway.

So this week, I'm now 100% on a full Paleo Autoimmune diet, which I like in the sense that everything I now put in my mouth has just a single ingredient. At least I know now I'm actually 100% on it this time, so a few months will be enough time to say whether it'll do anything for me or not. On a positive note, this week I've upped my consumption of Fermented Vegetables (so much cheaper and far stronger than Probiotic supplements) and I it seems the acne I've had on my chest and back is starting to die down. Hopefully the Psoriasis will be next.

I know far better than to have false hope, but I reckon 1 month minimum if not 2-3 100% on this diet is worth an experiment. Even if I saw one bit of remission going on, I'd probably jump for joy, considering how long I've had this and that the only thing that's cleared anything up for me thus far is the constant use of steroid cream.

Next thing assuming no results, then is to *grudingly* go back to a doctor and look at getting a food sensitivity test, a test for Candida, or a test for antibodies etc. done.

Gael23 wrote: »
    So have you never seen a dermatologist for a proper diagnosis? I had symptoms for a few years and 10 years ago now I got diagnosed properly, although I'm only know having my first attempt at UV Therapy

I think I was once diagnosed with seb derm (on my face). It's been on my face for years, I sometimes get other patches like the one on my ankle, undiagnosed.

The way I see it, diagnosis or no, they don't know how to cure it, or clear it completely from a medicinal/drug point of view, so it doesn't make a difference. Also, my diagnosis was one quick look by the dermatologist. Maybe I'm cynical but I cannot believe that psoriasis or seb derm can be differentiated at a glance because they can look the exact same.

I could be very wrong but that's how I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I think I was once diagnosed with seb derm (on my face). It's been on my face for years, I sometimes get other patches like the one on my ankle, undiagnosed.

The way I see it, diagnosis or no, they don't know how to cure it, or clear it completely from a medicinal/drug point of view, so it doesn't make a difference. Also, my diagnosis was one quick look by the dermatologist. Maybe I'm cynical but I cannot believe that psoriasis or seb derm can be differentiated at a glance because they can look the exact same.

I could be very wrong but that's how I feel.

I would disagree. I think you are wrong to think that a definite diagnosis is impossible or useless.

Psoriasis and seb derm may not always be able to be differentiated at a glance, but they can be very different and a good dermatogolist has seen a lot of cases of both so is in a much better position to make a diagnosis.

Also, Psoriasis has other symptoms ( like nail pitting) and typical presentations that help diagnosis.

The root cause of both conditions is completely different so even if a medical cure is not possible, advice on how to control the condition is very useful and knowing what you have makes it much easier to know what advice is useful.

huskerdu wrote: »
    I would disagree. I think you are wrong to think that a definite diagnosis is impossible or useless.

Psoriasis and seb derm may not always be able to be differentiated at a glance, but they can be very different and a good dermatogolist has seen a lot of cases of both so is in a much better position to make a diagnosis.

Also, Psoriasis has other symptoms ( like nail pitting) and typical presentations that help diagnosis.

The root cause of both conditions is completely different so even if a medical cure is not possible, advice on how to control the condition is very useful and knowing what you have makes it much easier to know what advice is useful.
    I would agree with this. I was incorrectly treated by GPs for years and then I
    finally got a referral to a Dermatologist 10 years ago now for a proper diagnosis.
    I had am amazing GP for a period since that time and he made some changes to my regime that helped massively. His input along with my current dermatologist really help, even though I'm now with a new GP, I still use some of the advice he gave me. I strongly believe theres no substitute for proper advice.
    z0oT wrote: »

I found out my Protein Powder that I was consuming wasn't really gluten free in that it had an artificial thickener in it that has been reported to aggravate people and cause digestion issues with some. So back to day 1 for me. I've since replaced it with another portion of meat/fish, which is a much better way to get protein anyway.
    Protein can cause digestion issues with some people. I suffer that way at the best of times so its something I'm always aware of. Having said that I know it can be counteracted by an increased fibre intake to ensure it passes through

http://psoriasis.org/advance/one-dose-of-trial-drug-can-clear-psoriasis-for-a-year

Results from the BI 655066 suggest that patients may one day have new options for achieving lasting results, according to Dr. James Krueger, the lead author of the study and a dermatologist at The Rockefeller University.

“We are now approaching the point where long-term remission of disease might be possible,” Krueger said. “We might even be moving in the direction of a cure.”

Phase II clinical trials for BI 655066 are ongoing, according to ClinicalTrials.gov.

Results for another drug targeting IL-23, known as tildrakizumab, were published earlier this month

• Advertisement

Well it seems I've some good news to report - the joint pain in my knuckles (which I suspect is Psoratic Arthritis), while not gone is definitely getting better now, I think my right heel is on the mend too. The acne on my chest and back is continuing to slowly get better too.

Once again, I'm careful about having false hope but it's nice to see some progress at long last. Maybe the AIP diet or loading myself up on Probiotics via Supplements and large helpings of Fermented Vegetables is working.

Well it seems I've some good news to report - the joint pain in my knuckles (which I suspect is Psoratic Arthritis), while not gone is definitely getting better now, I think my right heel is on the mend too. The acne on my chest and back is continuing to slowly get better too.

Once again, I'm careful about having false hope but it's nice to see some progress at long last. Maybe the AIP diet or loading myself up on Probiotics via Supplements and large helpings of Fermented Vegetables is working.

Are you noticing any digestion issues? The probiotics and Veg should balance things out but I'm always careful with my protein intake because too much causes "issues"

Are you noticing any digestion issues? The probiotics and Veg should balance things out but I'm always careful with my protein intake because too much causes "issues"

Probably the opposite actually. I've never really had symptoms of digestive issues before like bloating, excessive gas, abdominal pain etc. but I'm not getting the taste of food coming back up my throat anymore.

My bowel movements have been a bit iffy stretching back years though - maybe you could call it IBS, I'm not sure. Normally I'd have the typical type 4 "Bristol Stool", but every so often they'd go loose for a while and then go back to normal once more. They got very loose for a while when I started experimenting with Paleo and when I initially upped the consumption of Probiotics, but they're pretty much back to normal now.

As regards protein, I've had a very high protein diet for the last 4 or so years purely to ensure progress in the gym. I've generally followed the 1g of Protein per 1lb per day rule that most bodybuilders swear by and often gone beyond it. I don't know if protein intake has ever caused a problem for me, I mean I had all these issues long before I started bodybuilding/powerlifting, and my diet was way worse before then. I think a more likely problem in my case was getting too much protein from the wrong sources like Dairy.

My bowel movements have been a bit iffy stretching back years though - maybe you could call it IBS, I'm not sure. Normally I'd have the typical type 4 "Bristol Stool", but every so often they'd go loose for a while and then go back to normal once more. They got very loose for a while when I started experimenting with Paleo and when I initially upped the consumption of Probiotics, but they're pretty much back to normal now.
    Type 4 is good,ideal actually. Mine have been changeable the last few years also. I got seriously blocked up last year which nearly landed me in hospital, I was passing type 2 on the scale. Like you describe they still vary a bit but since that happened me I'm nervous making any wacky diet changes. I just recently started taking probiotics in an attempt to come off my stool softener that I take and they really do work.
    Ive read in a few places over the year that having sluggish bowels isnt good for Psoriasis but I'm not convinced

Type 4 is good,ideal actually. Mine have been changeable the last few years also. I got seriously blocked up last year which nearly landed me in hospital, I was passing type 2 on the scale. Like you describe they still vary a bit but since that happened me I'm nervous making any wacky diet changes. I just recently started taking probiotics in an attempt to come off my stool softener that I take and they really do work.
    Ive read in a few places over the year that having sluggish bowels isnt good for Psoriasis but I'm not convinced
    I've only ever trended towards the lower part of that scale once and it turned out to be not drinking nearly enough water.

You're taking Probiotics in supplement form I take it? What brand are you using? How strong is it?

I have a supplement containing 20 billion bacteria per tablet, but I think I'll only use it up rather than get more of it. Fermented Foods are apparently a much more efficient way of getting Probiotics into you, they've far more bacteria and you get more variety too.
    http://nourishingplot.com/2014/06/21/sauerkraut-test-divulges-shocking-probiotic-count/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Hope you all got a bit of sun the last few days!
    The only real solution to my psoriasis

I've only ever trended towards the lower part of that scale once and it turned out to be not drinking nearly enough water.

You're taking Probiotics in supplement form I take it? What brand are you using? How strong is it?

I have a supplement containing 20 billion bacteria per tablet, but I think I'll only use it up rather than get more of it. Fermented Foods are apparently a much more efficient way of getting Probiotics into you, they've far more bacteria and you get more variety too.
    http://nourishingplot.com/2014/06/21/sauerkraut-test-divulges-shocking-probiotic-count/
    These are mine, there a bit too expensive to stay on long term though. http://www.provenprobiotics.co.uk/adult-probiotic-x25-billion/
    wonga77 wrote: »
    Hope you all got a bit of sun the last few days!
    The only real solution to my psoriasis
    Best and cheapest psoriasis treatment available!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gar11

My brother is on a new treatment with injections. Don't know the name of it. He was covered from head to toe 98% of his body. He could not walk and was constantly in pain. His doctors said it was one of the worse cases they've seen.

He's been on this new treatment for 2 months and his psoriasis is clear even from his nails he has not one spot. He is practically a new person and it's brilliant to see.

It's great to see that new treatments are coming on stream and it shows things are looking up in the world of psoriasis.

Gar11 wrote: »
    My brother is on a new treatment with injections. Don't know the name of it. He was covered from head to toe 98% of his body. He could not walk and was constantly in pain. His doctors said it was one of the worse cases they've seen.

He's been on this new treatment for 2 months and his psoriasis is clear even from his nails he has not one spot. He is practically a new person and it's brilliant to see.

It's great to see that new treatments are coming on stream and it shows things are looking up in the world of psoriasis.

I think this is the treatment that I'm going to be going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Gar11

brevity wrote: »
    I think this is the treatment that I'm going to be going on.

If it is congratulations because it has totally changed his life. He's more confident and outgoing than he ever was.

Advertisement