Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

what percentage? 50G 0.25% i see online for about 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Thats what I started with anyway and it worked fine... I used chemistdirect.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

5 weeks into MTX (and Folic acid) and a noticeable difference. Just a lessening of redness mostly, but on the right track. My dosage has been upped. Also feel healthier just because I can't drink alcohol! :pac:

However, about to hit a small obstacle, as I'm moving to Japan at the end of July. Prof. Kirby has assured me that it's available in Japan, but obviously I'm slightly apprehensive regarding the regular blood tests and the language barrier! :eek:

So, he's writing out my history and all that, and I'm going to get it translated. Fingers crossed and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Hi Everyone

25 sessions of UVB later and a bit of weight loss due to return to sport and things are a bit better.

Still have 2 stubborn patches on my shins. Dovobet, Dovonex or Protopic on these? have tubes of all 3.

MM

If you have to I would use the Protopic. Ideally you wouldn't use any as someone else said but sometimes you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I got the 1% and diluted it down to 0.1% with other creams. I now am diluting to 0.2%.

e.g. I squirt some 1% out into a little pot I have, say its 0.6g. I would add cream like vaseline or sudocrem to bring the weight up to 6g, so now it is 0.1%. If I make it up to 3g (including the original 0.6g) it would be 0.2%. I make sure it is blended together very well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

rubadub wrote: »

I got the 1% and diluted it down to 0.1% with other creams. I now am diluting to 0.2%.

e.g. I squirt some 1% out into a little pot I have, say its 0.6g. I would add cream like vaseline or sudocrem to bring the weight up to 6g, so now it is 0.1%. If I make it up to 3g (including the original 0.6g) it would be 0.2%. I make sure it is blended together very well

I see you can buy 0.1, 0.2, 1 and 2% creams. might make your life a bit easier :-)

Did you ever try the 1% directly or did you feel it would be too harsh on the skin? How long do you keep it on for before washing off?

I think i can get one of these on prescription but i don't know what the % will be.

I see you can buy 0.1, 0.2, 1 and 2% creams. might make your life a bit easier :-)
    I was doing it to save money and also so I could blend in particular creams I wanted, e.g. if I was doing UVB afterwards or the next day I would not use sudocrem as it blocks it. If applying right after UVB I would add sudocrem as it stops the reddening and has a good effect on the skin. I also mixed in urea cream which is meant to be of great benefit in use with the dithrocream/dithranol.

Also I did not know which cream I would need so would have been annoyed to pay for a 0.1% cream and be on the 0.2% straight away.
    Did you ever try the 1% directly or did you feel it would be too harsh on the skin? How long do you keep it on for before washing off?
    I have never used the 1% directly, I think the strongest I made was 0.3% but I usually use 0.2%. I never bother washing it off, though I might but a lot on my scalp at night and wash any remaining off in the morning.

There are lots of warnings about stained skin & clothes. I think since mine is weak it has not been a real issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Going in for session 11 on light treatment tomorrow. Just hit the minute mark on Wednesday so hope to start seeing some results soon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Most people with Psoriasis are or were smokers. Single biggest thing you can do to improve it is quit smoking.

It's certainly one thing alright.

I'd add that even if you didn't have psoriasis, quitting would probably improve your health as well! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Most people with Psoriasis are or were smokers. Single biggest thing you can do to improve it is quit smoking.

You saw an improvement when you quit then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

It was when I quit smoking my psoriasis came on in fact! Haha, hereditary, nothing to do with smoking but was around the same time I stopped!! Everyone's different.

rizzee wrote: »
    It was when I quit smoking my psoriasis came on in fact! Haha, hereditary, nothing to do with smoking but was around the same time I stopped!! Everyone's different.

Probably from the stress of giving them up. Stress is a huge trigger for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Of course its good advice to give up smoking but I don't know where you got our information that most psoriasis sufferers smoke.

There is no link amongst the psoriasis sufferers I know and I have never seen statistics that show a link

Do you have statistics to back that up ?

What about people who have had psoriasis since childhood. Did they all smoke at 8 year olds ?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Don't know if its been mentioned here before but I have had a massive improvement by switching to a LCHF diet five months ago. I've tried a myriad of different ointments and creams over the last 15 years for scalp psoriasis. This is the longest I've gone without putting anything on my scalp and its never been better.

I started the diet by keeping carbs under 20g/day and relaxed on that to 50g/day after a couple of months. The improvement was very noticeable after just a week of the diet and I've had no flare ups since.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Most people with Psoriasis are or were smokers.

Cite?

I've never had a smoke in my life and neither did the few other people I know with bad Psoriasis. Where is the evidence for this claim?

Cite?

I've never had a smoke in my life and neither did the few other people I know with bad Psoriasis. Where is the evidence for this claim?

Just google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Just google it.

Its your claim, why don't you back it up?

Smoking can indeed affect Psoriasis, but where is your evidence that "Most people with Psoriasis are or were smokers"?

Come on, lets hear it.

Its your claim, why don't you back it up?

Smoking can indeed affect Psoriasis, but where is your evidence that "Most people with Psoriasis are or were smokers"?

Come on, lets hear it.

I thought I read it somewhere online. Smokers are definitely more at risk of developing it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7064249.stm

I can see how this could be true. Everyone knows smoking causes cancer, which is when organ cells multiply uncontrollably. How Psoriasis happens is similar in that skin cells grow too fast so that could point to a link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I thought I read it somewhere online. Smokers are definitely more at risk of developing it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7064249.stm

You did not say that smoking increases your chances of getting psoriasis or will make your psoriasis worse

You said " MOST psoriasis sufferers smoke"

Its a very different statement

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

MOD NOTE: I think we can all agree that the amount of problems smoking causes is extensive however this is a thread about psoriasis and this has gone off topic enough, thanks folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Anyone got any experience with tattoos and psoriasis? Got my first one today, it's on an area where I don't usually get psoriasis. No reaction or anything so far, I'm just wondering what I should expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ive read before that they can affect P, Like yourself, Id be curious to know more though as I would like a tattoo somewhere on my arm but have p on both elbows and wouldnt want to make it any worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Anyone got any experience with tattoos and psoriasis? Got my first one today, it's on an area where I don't usually get psoriasis. No reaction or anything so far, I'm just wondering what I should expect?

I have accute psoriasis and 7 tattoos in places that I wouldn't normally get it. it hasn't had an effect or reaction and my newest tattoo is 10 years old.

I have severe enough psoriasis and have two tattoos on areas I don't get it. They've had no negative impact on my skin so far.

wonga, I have p on my elbows as well, and one tattoo on my inside forearm and upper shoulder. Both quite big.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gracielooks

huskerdu wrote: »
    I know this was posted a few months ago, so if you are still reading gracie, I had a bad post pregnancy flare up and I would recommend coal tar. Its slow but it worked eventually. Its difficult to get these days, ask in a pharmacy.

Thanks a million. I'm finished feeding the baby, so am back on the Dovobet. I hope to have another baby and will surely be in the same situation again so I will seek out the coal tar when the time comes. I used Dermalex while I was breastfeeding and it eased the pain, it didn't help beyond that, it was still nice to have something to curb it though.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gracielooks

I was wondering about this too, I would like to get a tattoo but have psoriasis on a bad scar I have so worried maybe a tattoo would encourage P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Personally I wouldnt get a tattoo as I reckon it would result in a breakout in that spot... but id say its hit and miss depends on the person type of psoriasis etc...

• Advertisement

fionny wrote: »
    . but id say its hit and miss depends on the person type of psoriasis etc...
    Yes, I think I have gotten patches where they were once cut, some might be more prone to this.

I looked it up on google images and found this

http://www.cmaj.ca/content/185/7/585/F1.expansion.html

F1.large.jpg
    The Koebner phenomenon, also called the isomorphic response, refers to the appearance of lesions along a site of injury. This phenomenon is seen in a variety of conditions; for example, lichen planus, warts, molluscum contagiosum, psoriasis, lichen nitidus, and the systemic form of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koebner_phenomenon

If I was to get a tattoo I would pick a spot where there are usually no outbreaks, not just for me but for people in general.

Advertisement