Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

If you REALLY want a tattoo, I'd recommend getting a small 'tester' one first, somewhere discreet and wait a good while to see how your skin reacts.

Not like what I did. :P

In hindsight, I'm lucky that nothing has happened (4 years since the first one), and now the MTX is calming down the already existing P I should be alright.

It is a risk, definitely. But to be honest, at the time, I was just sick and tired of psoriasis dictating the things I could and couldn't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

sheep? wrote: »
    If you REALLY want a tattoo, I'd recommend getting a small 'tester' one first, somewhere discreet and wait a good while to see how your skin reacts.
    Yes, and the tester could be a small part of the full tattoo you plan on getting. It could also depend on the tattoo artist. I know little about them but have heard them on "tattoo fixers" saying some were done very deep apparently by a poor artist. The tattoo pictured above looks like a badly done tattoo, so that could be a factor. There is a tattoo forum and people might know better.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=358

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

A few days in and absolutely no reaction or anything, the area is very slightly tender but that's all. I'm using the "Tattoo Goo" they gave me in the shop, might switch to Emulsifying Ointment though as it's got a similar feel/texture but probably less ingredients.

Like sheep?, I guess it definitely makes sense to go for small and discreet to start with, but that's not what I did either! Go big or go home! :p :cool: :D

Actually I find in general that my skin heals very quickly from wounds, medical staff have commented on it before. So I guess having psoriasis isn't all bad!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

I've a full side piece and everything was grand!

A few days in and absolutely no reaction or anything, the area is very slightly tender but that's all. I'm using the "Tattoo Goo" they gave me in the shop, might switch to Emulsifying Ointment though as it's got a similar feel/texture but probably less ingredients.

Like sheep?, I guess it definitely makes sense to go for small and discreet to start with, but that's not what I did either! Go big or go home! :p :cool: :D

Actually I find in general that my skin heals very quickly from wounds, medical staff have commented on it before. So I guess having psoriasis isn't all bad!!!

How's it healing? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 withnail83

I am reading through Boards.ie on some of the difficulties that people are having with their psoriasis. St. Vincent's Hospital will be running a psoriasis and mindfulness research study in October and they are looking for participants, see contact details on the Irish Skin Foundation's website.

Kind Regards,
    Withnail 83

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

withnail83 wrote: »
    I am reading through Boards.ie on some of the difficulties that people are having with their psoriasis. St. Vincent's Hospital will be running a psoriasis and mindfulness research study in October and they are looking for participants, see contact details on the Irish Skin Foundation's website.

Kind Regards,
    Withnail 83
    I done a questionnaire for that a few months ago. Never got asked to do anything other than that though. Just that i'll be given another questionnaire at my next appointment which is actually next week.

I think withnail is referring to something a little different to that (Mammoth!) questionnaire.

Here's the link:

http://irishskinfoundation.ie/news/detail/mindfulness-dermatology-research-study1

(The two studies are probably linked, I dunno.)

I'd highly recommend anyone take the chance to do this, mindfulness has had a very positive effect on my psoriasis, lowering the auld stress levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Question. I use Dovobet and Capasol on my scalp, dovobet works great and my scalp improves within a week but if I stop taking it, P comes back within a few days. Dovobet is crazy expensive to use all the time, so what can I do when my scalp clears up to keep p from returning?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

siblers wrote: »
    Question. I use Dovobet and Capasol on my scalp, dovobet works great and my scalp improves within a week but if I stop taking it, P comes back within a few days. Dovobet is crazy expensive to use all the time, so what can I do when my scalp clears up to keep p from returning?
    Thanks.

Maybe one of the coal tar shampoo's, when you stop steroids the skin rebounds big time sometimes.

You can also use Dithrocream on your scalp, this is available over the counter in the UK (Use parcel motel to get it here) I have had great success with it as have others.

• Advertisement

fionny wrote: »
    Maybe one of the coal tar shampoo's, when you stop steroids the skin rebounds big time sometimes.
    Coal tar was off the market for a long time, or going for crazy prices. I see it on sale on chemistdirect.

https://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/polytar-scalp-coal-tar-shampoo/prd-0107668

None showing on boots.ie did find a coal tar free product I never heard of
    http://www.boots.ie/en/Dermalex-Scalp-Psoriasis-Treatment-Gel-75g_1518648/

The stronger polytar stuff is also seemingly back
    http://www.ultrapharmacy.co.uk/embarrassing/dandruff/polytar-emollient-500ml.html

It actually lists is for use after dithranol (dithrocream)
    Topical treatment for psoriasis, eczema, atopic and pruritic dermatoses, and to remove loose psoriatic scales and paste following dithranol treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

What's people's opinions on that stuff? Did it help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

What's people's opinions on that stuff? Did it help?

Which?

Dithrocream has been VERY effective for me personally, and its cheap and perscription free if got from the UK.

Coal Tar worked in the past for me but is messy, stains (dithrocream can too but I havent found it bad) and some people cant abide the smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭fighterman

fionny wrote: »
    Which?

Dithrocream has been VERY effective for me personally, and its cheap and perscription free if got from the UK.

Coal Tar worked in the past for me but is messy, stains (dithrocream can too but I havent found it bad) and some people cant abide the smell.

Good chance you have a gluten/wheat intolerance. Think irish gp's regard this diagnosis as too simplistic as it puts them in the the same ball park as dieticians but why not take your health into your own hands and try it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

I read that Dovonex is available over the counter in Ireland now. I'm surprised its being discussed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Without a prescription? Since when?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Found an article from The Examiner from May of this year, explaining that Dovonex could be bought without a prescription. Its thinly disguised PR/advertising. Also I've read it on Leo Pharma's website.

I suspect that Leo has reintroduced it for legal reasons. So that they have a stronger claim to the formula against generic drug companies.

Dovonex isn't available where I live. So I'm getting my doctor to source another vitamin D ointment. Probably will end up with Curatoderm.

fighterman wrote: »
    Good chance you have a gluten/wheat intolerance.
    why do you think that? are you saying this for psoriasis sufferers in general or because of his comments about dithrocream working well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Hi all, some of this may have been covered in older posts but I can't go back over 110 pages!

About 5 years ago I developed a small patch of what I thought was dry skin on my hairline, about the size of a 5c coin. It eventually cleared up on its own, but then I developed other patches around my scalp. Over the past 3 years in particular it's gotten quite bad, and it's all focused on the scalp around my ears, the skin behind my ears, and even in my ears. I've also developed 2 or 3 very small patches on my face where my facial hair grows, although these are only visible after actually shaving. I'm very self conscious of its appearance and tend to pick at it a lot trying to clear off the skin flakes, which I know is counter-productive but it's a terrible habit I have.

I've also noticed that my hair is thinning significantly on the crown of my head and at just about 30 years old it's starting to worry me. I don't know if this is male pattern baldness or related to the skin condition. I don't actually have any patches on the crown of my head though.

At this stage I think it's time I took some action on this because it's starting to really affect me. I'd love some recommendations for a dermatologist (in the Dublin area preferably) and also would like some advice on some home treatments or over the counter medication that I could try out.

Your first stop needs to be your GP. As for Dermatologists,I go to Prof Kirby in Vincent's but you really need to take advice from your GP on that. With any dermatologist in Dublin I recommend you go private if you can as you will be waiting a year to be seen otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

Hi all, some of this may have been covered in older posts but I can't go back over 110 pages!

About 5 years ago I developed a small patch of what I thought was dry skin on my hairline, about the size of a 5c coin. It eventually cleared up on its own, but then I developed other patches around my scalp. Over the past 3 years in particular it's gotten quite bad, and it's all focused on the scalp around my ears, the skin behind my ears, and even in my ears. I've also developed 2 or 3 very small patches on my face where my facial hair grows, although these are only visible after actually shaving. I'm very self conscious of its appearance and tend to pick at it a lot trying to clear off the skin flakes, which I know is counter-productive but it's a terrible habit I have.

I've also noticed that my hair is thinning significantly on the crown of my head and at just about 30 years old it's starting to worry me. I don't know if this is male pattern baldness or related to the skin condition. I don't actually have any patches on the crown of my head though.

At this stage I think it's time I took some action on this because it's starting to really affect me. I'd love some recommendations for a dermatologist (in the Dublin area preferably) and also would like some advice on some home treatments or over the counter medication that I could try out.

Moogoo scalp cream is very good for moisturizing and calming flakes. You might also look into getting a UVB lamp, they're good for small patches, as is dovonex (do not use dovobet or steroid creams on your face)

Washing with warm sea salt water is also good. (People often get clear after a beach holiday due to the sunlight and salt water, but you can recreate this to an extent with uvb lamps and making your own salt water with dead sea or Himalayan pink salt.)

Picking it will make the plaques thicker, cause more pain/oozing/bleeding and possibly spread it. To remove flakes put cream/vaseline/olive oil on them after showering and gently rub them away, treat them like scabs, if they don't come off in their own time they won't heal.

rubadub wrote: »
    why do you think that? are you saying this for psoriasis sufferers in general or because of his comments about dithrocream working well?

If the dithrocream is working well very good for that poster.

Yes I do believe this to be true for psoriasis sufferers , point I was trying to make is that gluten being the cause of the psoriasis is rarely diagnosed.

This comes down to a few factors I think

1) lack of available testing for gluten intolerance. Cyrex labs , based in UK, are the only company I'm aware of who perform reliable gluten intolerance testing but I'm not aware of any irish gp's who utilise Cyrex labs to test for gluten intolerance, when patients present with psoriasis or indeed other autoimmune illnesses such as thyroid issues or colitis . Coeliac testing may be done but a negative coeliac test result does not automatically mean the individual has no gluten issues

2) no link being made by the gp between psoriasis and gluten. When a patient presents with psoriasis , rarely would the gp/dermatologist make the link between the two. So the patient will be set on a course of topical creams/drugs for the rest of his or her life . This will manage the condition

Gluten might not be the problem of course and a diet without gluten might not be the solution. But too many people are not steered towards what may be a potentially simple solution to their ailment

Gael23 wrote: »
    Your first stop needs to be your GP. As for Dermatologists,I go to Prof Kirby in Vincent's but you really need to take advice from your GP on that. With any dermatologist in Dublin I recommend you go private if you can as you will be waiting a year to be seen otherwise.

Thanks for that, I visited my GP yesterday who said I certainly have psoriasis and he said rather than going all out attack on it, it'd be worth starting a mild treatment first and go from there. He told me to get some Polytar Shampoo and Nizoral 2% to try out for 6 weeks. I'll give them a go to see if there's any positive effect.

Thanks for that, I visited my GP yesterday who said I certainly have psoriasis and he said rather than going all out attack on it, it'd be worth starting a mild treatment first and go from there. He told me to get some Polytar Shampoo and Nizoral 2% to try out for 6 weeks. I'll give them a go to see if there's any positive effect.

Why not go all out attack on it? GP is doing nothing to help you resolve the situation, merely he is helping to manage the situation .

Article below is a good summary of the condition

https://www.gluten.org/resources/dermatitis-herpetiformis/

I used Nizoral for a while but Prof Kirby told me to stop, it's also quite expensive. The poster above me is right that it will only treat the symptoms but the hats where you need to start; it's what I did for 10 years. I never suffered with my scalp too much but I think try those things for the few weeks and go from there.

Gael23 wrote: »
    I used Nizoral for a while but Prof Kirby told me to stop, it's also quite expensive. The poster above me is right that it will only treat the symptoms but the hats where you need to start; it's what I did for 10 years. I never suffered with my scalp too much but I think try those things for the few weeks and go from there.

Well I suppose I was happy enough just to have a go at a mild treatment that might work. My understanding is that psoriasis is a chronic genetic condition that can't be cured so managing the symptoms is all that's to be done.

I'm less keen on things like steroid creams etc. If I can keep the areas behind my ears reasonably clear then I'm happy. Thanks for the input though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

I suffer pretty badly from it on the scalp but usually a tiny bit of dovobet is enough to clear it up for a while. I find it very hard to get suitable shampoos because even the recommended ones like nizoral, polytar or t gel dry out my scalp something awful which hurts a lot more. No shampoo for me most of the time and il actually use something like sanex maybe twice a week, its the only thing that doesnt affect me as much

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

I have it on my scalp, a 2 euro coin sized patch on my forehead, under my bust, my groin and the crack of my bum.
    I use Cocois, eumovate and Betonovate but nothing clears it completely. It's always there.
    Dr Tobin is my consultant the next step is the injections.

Can any one tell me what they are like ?

Jrop wrote: »
    I have it on my scalp, a 2 euro coin sized patch on my forehead, under my bust, my groin and the crack of my bum.
    I use Cocois, eumovate and Betonovate but nothing clears it completely. It's always there.
    Dr Tobin is my consultant the next step is the injections.

Can any one tell me what they are like ?
    Are you taking about biologics?
    It's really hard to find shampoo that doesn't dry out my scalp. I paid €8 for a supposedly moisturising shampoo that made my scalp even more flaky. I use protopic ointment for my face and I would be using an antifungal cream for all the other areas you mention.
    Adocholiday, you are right it is about managing symptoms but you just need to find the most effective way of doing that which is by trial&error. All doctors will start with mild treatment and progress as necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Gae23 yes I think so.

I've tried anti fungal creams in the past but they weren't successful. Eumovate seems to keep it at bay in the afftected areas.

Over the years I have tried all kinds of shampoos to no avail

Advertisement