Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Biologic injections have changed my life. I had a really fantastic GP a few years ago who made such a difference to my psoriasis and so when prof kirby mentioned coming off the treatment regime he had given me I hesitated a little. However I was very wrong.

Starting out involves a good few tests and an instruction session with a nurse. After that I had a nurse come to my house until I felt comfortable doing it myself.
    For the first month I noticed little difference except for that there was no new patches forming but from then on there was a gradual improvement every week. I find if I'm stressed or anything there may not be an improvement but a year on and there is an unbelievable difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Thanks Gael23. Do you notice any side effects ? Also can you please advise of cost?

Jrop wrote: »
    Thanks Gael23. Do you notice any side effects ? Also can you please advise of cost?

I personally have had very little side effects, a few head colds here and there and a couple of times the injection site swelled up. Side effects are different for everyone so nobody can tell you what will or won't happen. Some of the potential ones are not nice but I was in a position where I was willing to try and see how I tolerated it.
    Cost depends on if you have a medical card or not. If you do it's free and if not it's €144 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

fighterman wrote: »
    Why not go all out attack on it? GP is doing nothing to help you resolve the situation, merely he is helping to manage the situation .

Article below is a good summary of the condition

https://www.gluten.org/resources/dermatitis-herpetiformis/

That's got nothing to do with psoriasis :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭fighterman

That's got nothing to do with psoriasis :confused:

The poster's description of the condition seems like he has all the symptoms of dermatitis herpetiformis. That was the reason I posted that link. My post was ignored in any case! Either way, the GP's prescription of polytar shampoo won't ultimately help the poster to resolve the condition, merely it will manage it.

If you had cracks in your sitting room wall , would you paint over the cracks or would you seek to address the root cause issue ?

Every day, individuals are presenting at GP's and dermatologists in Ireland with cracks in the form of skin conditions like seborrhea, dermatitis herpetiformis and psoriasis. And in the majority of cases, they are given 'paint the cracks' advice in the form of topical creams and shampoos. The root structural issue, which is inflammation in response to a dietary item, never gets addressed.

The patient struggles on and bounces from GP to dermatologist to second dermatologist to surgeon . The costs rack up and the patient remains the same so long as whatever dietary irritant (wheat, gluten, dairy ) is in the system

It should be common practice for gp's and dermatologists to recommend a removal diet for three weeks to identify the dietary issue. Foods can then be re-introduced into the diet over time, if found to cause no problem.

I think most people have a fixed view that this is not a dietary issue. So be it. But for the sake of 3 weeks and at no extra cost, surely it's worth a try?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

I had tests for food intolerance at two different places about 3 years apart. Both found different foods that didnt agree with me and I gave about 2 full years on different diets/removing things from my diet/gluten free/wheat free etc.
    With the end result that nothing made any significant changes to my psoriasis

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

I find wheat doesn't agree with me so I avoid it I'm on the waiting list for a scope to diagnose if I am coeliac.

The poster's description of the condition seems like he has all the symptoms of dermatitis herpetiformis. That was the reason I posted that link. My post was ignored in any case! Either way, the GP's prescription of polytar shampoo won't ultimately help the poster to resolve the condition, merely it will manage it.

If you had cracks in your sitting room wall , would you paint over the cracks or would you seek to address the root cause issue ?

Every day, individuals are presenting at GP's and dermatologists in Ireland with cracks in the form of skin conditions like seborrhea, dermatitis herpetiformis and psoriasis. And in the majority of cases, they are given 'paint the cracks' advice in the form of topical creams and shampoos. The root structural issue, which is inflammation in response to a dietary item, never gets addressed.

The patient struggles on and bounces from GP to dermatologist to second dermatologist to surgeon . The costs rack up and the patient remains the same so long as whatever dietary irritant (wheat, gluten, dairy ) is in the system

It should be common practice for gp's and dermatologists to recommend a removal diet for three weeks to identify the dietary issue. Foods can then be re-introduced into the diet over time, if found to cause no problem.

I think most people have a fixed view that this is not a dietary issue. So be it. But for the sake of 3 weeks and at no extra cost, surely it's worth a try?

I must have missed the bit where poster stated that his/her plaques were little blisters with pus so.

Psoriasis is fairly distinctive fighterman, and a lot more common than DH from what I gather online. The poster decided to post in a psoriasis thread, more than likely with a pretty good idea of what they were looking at.

I agree that possibly GPs should advise patients about a possible link between gluten intolerance or coeliac disease and immuno related skin conditions, and maybe test accordingly if they have any doubt.

But like I said above, psoriasis is pretty much in your face obvious to us sufferers, and I'm sure a GP is well able to tell the difference between DH and psoriasis too.

The link between diet and reaction may be scientifically acknowledged for other dermatitis, but psoriasis has not conclusively been linked to diet yet as far as I know.

In my experience of it over more than 20 years I have found no link to diet, but of course a definite link to inflammation. That inflammation can be linked to diet occasionally goes without saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Just wondered if there were many here who have been diagnosed with "mild" Psoriatic arthritis and have been told to "watch and wait" to begin Methotrexate? My research seems to indicate waiting with already diagnosed PsA is not a great move, although I am aware of the increased vulnerability to infections Meth and other Dmards pose. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Groupon offer on bio oil at the moment, think some here used it.

https://www.groupon.ie/deals/bio-oil-717209630?nlp=1&a=ttt_www.boards.ie&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=5650&utm_campaign=ie_dt_dis_int_jpg_ttt_rn_cbp_cha_nbr_n*5650_c*5838_p*5421_x*139386009027_z*www.boards.ie&gclid=CMKRp5Ofj9ACFa237Qod5YwLyw

2x200ml bottles for €37.50 incl delivery, other size bottles there too.

cheaper than boots here but chemist direct is cheaper, not sure of their postage.
    https://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/brands/bio-oil-1fk

I have been using lidl SOS hand cream again, find it very good.
    PhotoGrid_1384466490547.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Hi all - just wanted to ask a question. Does any one have psoriasis on their scalp and can recommend some easy to get shampoos? Mine was under control for ages and only need a 6-monthly full treatment with coal-tar to keep in check but has gone a bit mad lately. I've tried using the T-gel shampoo for psoriasis and found it great for the treatment length of time it states but as soon as I stopped using it, it all went to hell. Even continuing to use it doesn't help anymore. Any recommendations would be great! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Hi all - just wanted to ask a question. Does any one have psoriasis on their scalp and can recommend some easy to get shampoos? Mine was under control for ages and only need a 6-monthly full treatment with coal-tar to keep in check but has gone a bit mad lately. I've tried using the T-gel shampoo for psoriasis and found it great for the treatment length of time it states but as soon as I stopped using it, it all went to hell. Even continuing to use it doesn't help anymore. Any recommendations would be great! Thanks!

It's early days yet for me but I've been using a combination of Nizoral (well the generic equivalent) and MooGoo shampoo and irritable skin balm. I've only been treating my psoriasis for a few weeks now and have already noticed a marked improvement. Not the cheapest treatments in the world, but they work for me and I'm happy with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I use Psoriderm shampoo. My local chemist gets it no problem. I use it once a week and find it very good. It's a tar shampoo though so maybe not what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

It's early days yet for me but I've been using a combination of Nizoral (well the generic equivalent) and MooGoo shampoo and irritable skin balm. I've only been treating my psoriasis for a few weeks now and have already noticed a marked improvement. Not the cheapest treatments in the world, but they work for me and I'm happy with them

I tried the MooGoo one before but found while it was great for my scalp, my hair would get greasy in a day (I'd normally last 3 days without looking too bad) so ended up washing my hair more.
    I use Psoriderm shampoo. My local chemist gets it no problem. I use it once a week and find it very good. It's a tar shampoo though so maybe not what you're looking for.

I don't mind using a tar shampoo at all (I actually love the smell of them). Must look for that one!

Thanks!

Give the coal tar a try by all means but it didn't do much for me. If you feel like hat it's not improving with that then I would suggest a trip to your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Shoneen

On Saturday I was in the Hermitage getting a colonoscopy due to having some problems with bleeding from down below and the Consultant performing the procedure commented on my Psoriasis and asked me what I was taking for it. I told him I wasn't taking anything at present having given up on being repeatedly prescribed topical treatments that just dealt with the symptom rather than the cause.

He commented that there were some good anti-inflammatory drugs available these days and that he sometimes prescribed the same drugs for inflamed bowel conditions as dermatologists do for psoriasis. I told him I was seeing a dermatologist at the end of the month but I didn't think he'd prescribe me anything new as I'm relatively low level coverage.

Anyway while he was up there, he spotted what he suspected might be Psoriasis in the anal canal! He took a biopsy and he said if it come back with what he thinks it is then he'll put me on a prescription for a relevant anti-inflammatory which by default should treat my external psoriasis as well.

This could be a result for me but that was the first I've ever heard of internal psoriasis.

I know you can get it inside the ear (I do !), although that's only half internal sort of...

I remember reading too that in fact, psoriasis can affect internal organs too. Then again you read so many things online.

Edit : actually, PSO arthritis is internal too.

Forgot to mention I tested myself for celiac disease, just in case, discussions on here had seeded the idea, and there is a cheap (30 euros boots, less online) test you can do at home. Saves going to gp, and is just as reliable from what I gather. I'm delighted to not be celiac ! Of course some say that you can test negative and still be gluten intolerant but im happy to overlook that (I have no dire gastric issues), and I'll continue to enjoy sweet gluey gluten :)
    I have read that there might be a link between Iga deficiency and psoriasis, so that might be something to be explored some time as it can affect test results, more so for others reading this as I don't have enough symptoms to ring alarm bells. (The test detects Igas)

I've been trying to read up on internal psoriasis since Saturday but there's very little mention of it and what there is seems to be more self-diagnosis or alternative medicine viewpoint.

Of course some people are pointing out that PsA is effectively internal psoriasis and as you note having it in the ear canal is quite common - I have it there myself and under my nails.

Then again its not yet definite that what I have internally is psoriasis - he just said that it looked like it - so just need to see he says when I go back to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

Shoneen wrote: »
    On Saturday I was in the Hermitage getting a colonoscopy due to having some problems with bleeding from down below and the Consultant performing the procedure commented on my Psoriasis and asked me what I was taking for it. I told him I wasn't taking anything at present having given up on being repeatedly prescribed topical treatments that just dealt with the symptom rather than the cause.

He commented that there were some good anti-inflammatory drugs available these days and that he sometimes prescribed the same drugs for inflamed bowel conditions as dermatologists do for psoriasis. I told him I was seeing a dermatologist at the end of the month but I didn't think he'd prescribe me anything new as I'm relatively low level coverage.

Anyway while he was up there, he spotted what he suspected might be Psoriasis in the anal canal! He took a biopsy and he said if it come back with what he thinks it is then he'll put me on a prescription for a relevant anti-inflammatory which by default should treat my external psoriasis as well.

This could be a result for me but that was the first I've ever heard of internal psoriasis.

I'd say he was more likely doing this because he wants to help you get that prescription that he thinks will help so he has to kind of put it under his remit, which is that area.

You can definitely get psoriasis in your crack so possibly in the canal but never heard of it. Psoriasis is more like an external condition caused by inflammation from inside. Your skin refects what is inside.

Sounds like your colonoscopy is sound. He probably knows, as most psoriasis sufferers do, that dermatologists are useless and a waste of money when it comes to this disease.

Only thing works for me is the Pagano diet and avoiding stress (which is also actually part of the diet). i started eating meat, wheat, cheese and sugar again lately and now my p has come back. Used to be alcohol that flared it up the most but now it seems sugar and bread are just as bad, as I haven't drank in 4 months.

• Advertisement

Clampdown wrote: »
    I'd say he was more likely doing this because he wants to help you get that prescription that he thinks will help so he has to kind of put it under his remit, which is that area.

You can definitely get psoriasis in your crack so possibly in the canal but never heard of it. Psoriasis is more like an external condition caused by inflammation from inside. Your skin refects what is inside.

Sounds like your colonoscopy is sound. He probably knows, as most psoriasis sufferers do, that dermatologists are useless and a waste of money when it comes to this disease.

Only thing works for me is the Pagano diet and avoiding stress (which is also actually part of the diet). i started eating meat, wheat, cheese and sugar again lately and now my p has come back. Used to be alcohol that flared it up the most but now it seems sugar and bread are just as bad, as I haven't drank in 4 months.

Yes the Consultant did seem like a decent type and I'm with you on Dermatologists. I've seen three different ones over the years (both here and the UK) and in all cases they just prescribed topical steroids - a prescription even they acknowledge should not be used as a long term treatment.

The dermatologist I'm seeing at the end of this month is not one I've seen before but experience has taught me not to be too optimistic. I have psoriasis on my scalp, ears, genitals, legs, arms, nails, buttocks and now torso but in all cases the coverage is relatively limited and I believe they will only prescribe non topical treatments in more severe cases - presumably due to a combination of the cost of those treatments and the large number of people who have psoriasis.

I have tried some alternative medicine including 3 months of seeing a herbalist which was a complete waste of time and money. It was only when I was sitting there at my sixth appointment and she said she was going to modify my treatment and include a little bit more dandelion in the mixture that I realised that I was effectively taking advice from a snakeoil salesman.

The truth is of course, that the medical/pharmaceutical industry has no interest in finding a reliable cure for psoriasis as there is far too much money to be made in treating the symptoms of what is largely a non fatal and life long illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

6 months since my last treatment and all going well. Moisturising daily with sikcocks base (using it to replace shower gel and shaving foam too) , sticking to elave shampoo and daktacort the odd time for behind the ears/eyebrow. Hopefully it keeps up

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

my hair would get greasy in a day (I'd normally last 3 days without looking too bad) so ended up washing my hair more.
    being a baldy short hair bloke I do not really care about shampoos :p, but I have read many of the medicated shampoos are really better described as topical treatments -and not really considered as shampoos which clean and/or condition hair -which I guess you want.

I was surprised to see some of these medicated shampoos still contain the foaming agent sodium lauryl sulphate, which many find aggravates skin conditions. You might be better off with finding a strong medicated "shampoo" and leaving it on your scalp for a while to let it do its work, and then rinsing it off and properly shampooing with a "sensitive" shampoo, maybe for babies or similar, so it does actually cleanse.

If you just put on weak coal tar "shampoo" and rinse it off right away I cannot imagine it having much effect. I leave on stronger coal tar solutions (polytar emollient) which I dilute with oil, intended to be added to a bath, these have no sodium lauryl sulphate added too. I did use polytar shampoo and would leave it on but it was less effective and I did not like the idea of unnecessary foaming agents, and it costed a lot more per gram of active coal tar.

Problem is I think coal tar is still hard to come by and so emollient might not even be out there.

Shoneen wrote: »
    Yes the Consultant did seem like a decent type and I'm with you on Dermatologists. I've seen three different ones over the years (both here and the UK) and in all cases they just prescribed topical steroids - a prescription even they acknowledge should not be used as a long term treatment.

The dermatologist I'm seeing at the end of this month is not one I've seen before but experience has taught me not to be too optimistic. I have psoriasis on my scalp, ears, genitals, legs, arms, nails, buttocks and now torso but in all cases the coverage is relatively limited and I believe they will only prescribe non topical treatments in more severe cases - presumably due to a combination of the cost of those treatments and the large number of people who have psoriasis.

I have tried some alternative medicine including 3 months of seeing a herbalist which was a complete waste of time and money. It was only when I was sitting there at my sixth appointment and she said she was going to modify my treatment and include a little bit more dandelion in the mixture that I realised that I was effectively taking advice from a snakeoil salesman.

The truth is of course, that the medical/pharmaceutical industry has no interest in finding a reliable cure for psoriasis as there is far too much money to be made in treating the symptoms of what is largely a non fatal and life long illness.

I suffered from seborrheic dermatitis for around 10 years and only experienced remission from it when I completely (not mostly ) removed gluten from my diet.

Slight edit, no medical advice please

I recommend you read the book 'Wheat Belly' by Dr William Davis

I've contributed on several occasions on this thread and believe that the default reaction of a gp should be to recommend a gluten free diet for a three week period

Yours in free health advice !

deleting post as it has crossed over into medical advice which is not allowed as per forum charter. Card this time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

This is a very curable condition and the cure is very simple!

I wish it were that simple, a strict no wheat gluten free diet for well over a year made zero difference to my psoriasis. You keep on beating that drum though...

wonga77 wrote: »
    I wish it were that simple, a strict no wheat gluten free diet for well over a year made zero difference to my psoriasis. You keep on beating that drum though...

Agreed. I spent years trying so many things and none of them worked. Never really believed in diet either but some say it works. I'm a year in Enbrel and it has been a life changing experience. Ive gone from applying 2-3 different creams a day to one simple injection a week. Maybe put a little protopic on my face every now and then but a fraction of what I was before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭brevity

Yea, the gluten/sugar free diet never really worked for me although I do believe diet does play a part I just never got it to work.

I take Humira once a fortnight. Its expensive but worth it.

Well my biopsy came back normal so I don't have "internal psoriasis" and won't be getting any new prescription from that source.

Re Fighterman's posts - I think there's definitely diet elements that work for some people but its definitely different for each person. One girl I knew with psoriasis said she couldn't eat anything that was red (including red wine) or it would cause an immediate flare up.

Personally I haven't identified any specific food which aggravates my condition although I haven't tried going gluten free as yet.

As the posters above have noted though, its clearly not a catch all - if it was there would be literally no coeliacs with psoriasis and I don't believe that to be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

In terms of diet, I think it definitely plays a role for me, but certain things trigger it more than others. the Pagano diet has helped me a lot, there's a lot more to it than eliminating gluten, in fact it doesn't say gluten must be totally eliminated, but to eat whole grain or rye bread. I eat the low GI bread from Lidl with no problems.

If you can't get relief any other way I would still consider eliminating foods suggested by Dr. Pagano for 3 months to see if you improve.

He also suggests taking lecithin granules which I do, as well as fish oil and vitamin B and C. But when I go back to eating pizza, fried food, anything starchy or sugary or cheese it comes back. But life is too short to give them tasty things up forever, I've already given up beer!

Advertisement