Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

is this the same? http://www.boots.ie/dermalex-psoriasis-treatment-150g-10151124 just different name or?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

is this the same? http://www.boots.ie/dermalex-psoriasis-treatment-150g-10151124 just different name or?

No, the active ingredient in Dovonex is Calcipotriol hydrate

The one you linked appears to just be expensive moisturiser which they have given a prescription type name and box so it looks more like "medicine".
    Ingredients
    Purified water, White Petrolatum, Cetearyl alcohol, Paraffinum liquidum, Polysorbatum 60, Ethyl alcohol, Methyl 4-hydroxybenzoate, Modified alumino-silicates + alkaline earth minerals (refered to as MagneoliteTM Complex) optimised for Psoriasis treatment.

some OK reviews.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dermalex-5931520940743-Psoriasis-Treatment-150g/dp/B009CQL69C/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1495721035&sr=8-3&keywords=Dermalex

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Hi folks! Has anyone heard or tried Willow Cottage products? Had a quick scan through this thread and thought I'd ask. I have a fairly bad case on my knuckles the last 4/5 years which just kind of came out of nowhere but probably cos I went back to Uni as a mature student and didn't like it. I wouldn't say I'm particularly stressed but maybe I just don't realise!

It started on my scalp when I was about 10/11. Just once, back in 2008, I had a bad break-out all over my body (just spots) after leaving a bad cold and sore throat untreated but it 90% cleared up after a month or two with the use of some E-45 and other moisturizers. My father has it but never as bad. It's definitely not as bad as some people have it here. I went to a dermatologist a couple years ago and got prescribed the same ol' creams as before..Dovobet and Hydrocortisyl for skin, which I stopped using a while back, and Betnovate for the scalp which works, for me. I hate the thought of using steroids though!

Anyways, it's the plaque psoriasis I have the last few years. It's worse on my hands but I have it on my elbows and a few spots around the head and face but the hot weather really has helped the latter as of late. I ordered the Solid Lotion bar from WC at the end of last September. Didn't notice a difference until December when it cleared about 80% on my hands. However, no sooner was I getting some confidence back when it came back just the same after a month or so. So now I've ordered the next best product! Skin Rescue Cream. Using it the last month. Can't say I've noticed anything other than a minor difference yet.

Sorry if this sounded more like an advertisement and chin-up everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

Without going to the doctor, dovenex from the chemist will get rid of plaque psoriasis. It's about €20 Euro. I've used lots of creams over the years. Only steroid creams and this have worked but generally the patches return. I was recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis as well and have taking a biologic injection. I'm pretty much psoriasis free now. Not really relevant to your case though but I'd recommend dovenex.

I was quite tired last night when I posted that but after thinking about it I am actually a bit stressed about it. Not to the point where I don't do things or go places but it's a pain trying to hide it. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

It's been a year since my 2nd light treatment session and so far so good.

I don't use any steroid creams at all. My daily routine is silcocks base as my soap/shower wash.

In saying that, I do have small patches behind ears, in eyebrows, on the line of scalp and one or two dots on chest.

I got a tattoo at the end of April covering my a rm and have one or two spots on it too but nothing major.

I'm heading to Spain next week so I'm confident it will be gone whilst over there with the weather and swimming in sea water.

Good to hear about other creams and things to get just incase it doesn't go when im away.

Has anyone heard of how chlorine might effect skin. Either by drinking or showering? Just stumbled upon it yesterday. Had never heard it mentioned before.

rizzee wrote: »
    It's been a year since my 2nd light treatment session and so far so good.

I don't use any steroid creams at all. My daily routine is silcocks base as my soap/shower wash.

In saying that, I do have small patches behind ears, in eyebrows, on the line of scalp and one or two dots on chest.

I got a tattoo at the end of April covering my a rm and have one or two spots on it too but nothing major.

I'm heading to Spain next week so I'm confident it will be gone whilst over there with the weather and swimming in sea water.

Good to hear about other creams and things to get just incase it doesn't go when im away.

wow i didnt think light treatment benefits would last that long. also did your light treatment cause initial redness before looking better or was each day an improvement with no negative effects in the short term on the skin?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

wow i didnt think light treatment benefits would last that long. also did your light treatment cause initial redness before looking better or was each day an improvement with no negative effects in the short term on the skin?

I haven't gotten light treatment in about 7 years, but when I got bad it was the only thing that really worked to clear my skin. I remember one day half way through the treatment as they increase the time in each session, and I got sunburnt!! and it was middle of the winter. got some funny looks from people.
    (I am ginger so have very fair skin)

ah, thanks. how long did the improvements last for you would you say?

• Advertisement

hbhook wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of how chlorine might effect skin. Either by drinking or showering? Just stumbled upon it yesterday. Had never heard it mentioned before.
    what did you find? I read of "dilute bleach baths" being beneficial for eczema so thought it might be beneficial for psoriasis, but I am guessing yours was negative findings.
    I got sunburnt!!
    They do aim to give you a little sunburning. When ever I use my light and get mild sunburning I get great results.

I made a tube for my 9W bulb to go inside and am finding it great. It is like holding a torch against your skin, all the light is contained in the tube. I might have 2 patches close together which could have been treated with the light lengthways in 1 go, but even though it now might take twice as long it is more favourable as its so convenient to just hold the "torch" pressed against the skin, rather than holding it carefully in place.

rubadub wrote: »
    what did you find? I read of "dilute bleach baths" being beneficial for eczema so thought it might be beneficial for psoriasis, but I am guessing yours was negative findings.

Most of what I saw was to do with swimming and how chlorinated water can dry out the skin. So I'm guessing that drinking it couldn't be good if that is true (for some anyway). I don't swim but I drink loads of tap water!

It's not something I have heard before in relation to psoriasis.

http://www.purewatergazette.net/rethinkingchlorine.htm ..I feel a bit silly posting that link cos on a second look at it it seems like it's an advertisement for fancy water filters!!!

Still figuring out how to use some features here...

hbhook wrote: »
    I don't swim but I drink loads of tap water!
    If worried a brita filter will remove the majority. Also simply leaving water in an open jug in the fridge will allow it to dissipate out, people making homebrew beer do not want chlorine and just leave it sit in the large tub with the lid loosely on.

In summer months they will increase chlorine levels, or if the water levels are low in reservoirs, or if there are burst pipes or works going on. Sometimes mine is undrinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I have no chlorine in my drinking water so I can't say anything about that, but I had to stop swimming in the town swimming pool years ago as the inflammation I got afterwards (and during) was off the scale (even after rinsing). I think it's the concentration that is ridiculous.

I go to campsites in France yearly and swim in their swimming pools alright, when it's just the odd time.
    Some are ok, in some the concentration is such that the plaques look red immediately and for a time afterwards. But it doesn't make it worse other than that, so feck it, I'll have a swim if I fancy one.
    You'd be a bit conscious the way kids or people look (since it's bright red) but actually, so many people seem to know about it now, the stress of it is mostly self-inflicted.
    I even have little kiddies saying to me : "is this psoriasis ? my uncle/cousin/Dad's got that".

ah, thanks. how long did the improvements last for you would you say?

I think I was good for a year or 2, it cleared up. I've had it since I was 2 or 3 and almost 30 years later still dealing with it. Probably think stress has always been my biggest trigger. I'm not someone that gets stressed easily, but around times of exams, changing jobs or something similiar it always flares up again.
    They do aim to give you a little sunburning. When ever I use my light and get mild sunburning I get great results.

I made a tube for my 9W bulb to go inside and am finding it great. It is like holding a torch against your skin, all the light is contained in the tube.

Ha I think it was more than a 'little' sunburnt I was.
    I know its terrible, but anytime I happened to get sunburnt over the last few years, I found the psoriais was burnt off.
    How do you have your own bulb now? Is that something they gave you, or something you bought and made up yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Got burnt about a month ago on my back (unintentionally of course) and for the first time ever, it didnt help my psoriasis, dunno why

How do you have your own bulb now? Is that something they gave you, or something you bought and made up yourself?
    You can buy various size lights for home use. Most use philips brand bulbs in different housings/light fittings.

I did happen to build my own as I am used to making things and know basic electronics/electrics. I have not heard of anyone else doing it.

I recently rebuilt mine so the heavier electrics are more remote, sitting on the ground and then wires go to a lightweight light fitting that I hold. I now have a second light fitting which is like a torch about 1.5inch diameter, this was cheap to do since I am still using the original bulb and electronics. So its similar to how a laptop might have a heavy charging unit sitting on the ground and a lead comes from that.

This a typical commercial one with the same 9W bulb as mine.

g-dermalight-80-uvb-phototherapy-lamp-3.jpg

You can buy various size lights for home use. Most use philips brand bulbs in different housings/light fittings.

My god I never know you could get a home one. That is fantastic. Just ordered one. :)
    Thank you very much. made my week

Just ordered one.
    can you link to which one? some are not the best or just pricey, but more recently I think I saw some outright bogus ones. I should have said that but did not expect people to be jumping in buying one without asking if it was a sound purchase.

can you link to which one? some are not the best or just pricey, but more recently I think I saw some outright bogus ones. I should have said that but did not expect people to be jumping in buying one without asking if it was a sound purchase.

I bought from favoriteplus. I'm not one to jump in and just buy the first one I seen so I did compare a few.
    I did a bit of looking on Amazon and few places and read reviews. The ones on Amazon looked a bit flimsy and reviews were mixed

http://www.favoriteplus.com/dermahealer-uvb-narrowband-lamp-to-treat-psoriasis-vitiligo-eczema-dermatitis.php

• Advertisement

OK, it has got the correct philips narrowband bulb in it, some have got generic brand bulbs which do not have as long a lifespan and do not produce as tight an output of the preferred wavelength. And you get the goggles & timer, I would suggest using a second backup timer, I use my phone along with another just in case.

By ordering from the US you risk having to pay VAT on that. It says +21% VAT for EU customers so I wonder if they do have some prearrangment, like amazon.com do these days, and some other big stores.

I believe they are putting the correct philips bulb into a device housing which was originally designed for drying nails with UV light. So the bulb has the same connection and the electronics are the same. But really its designed with drying nails in mind.

That design would not suit me as it would be very awkward to hold to do my scalp, but it might suit you depending where the patches are.

9w-uv-gel-curing-lamp-light-nail-dryer-with.jpg

this "rehousing" is common enough.

This one on amazon is using a standard office light
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Care-Lamps-Psoriasis-Narrowband-deficiencies/dp/B00IHMANTG/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1496243151&sr=1-1&keywords=Psoriasis+Lamp

this guy put 3 larger bulbs into an light fitting usually used on building sites

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PSORIASIS-VITILIGO-DERMATITIS-NEURODERMATITIS-Adapter/dp/B01AGDED1M

On amazon I would have gone for one of these, designed to be held & used all over.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0069RLGM4/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i2?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B0069RLGM4&pd_rd_r=ZD533M50WTYNM7E1BRW1&pd_rd_w=HznoW&pd_rd_wg=xeQQ5&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=SC6XB065RH34MAW4NEAY&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=16f14aeb-bd11-4e9e-8c26-9ca0139074ee&pf_rd_i=desktop

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UVB-Philips-treating-Psoriasis-Vitiligo/dp/B00JUPOPUC/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1496243814&sr=8-3&keywords=uvb

The one in the second link can possibly be gotten VAT free. For people in the UK they get a VAT reduction if they say its for medical use, you would probably have to get it delivered to a "UK address" i.e. parcelmotel or parcelwizard etc.

I used to consider this place but they are now using shorter life generic bulbs
    https://www.androv-medical.com/uv-b-shop/uv-b-models.html?gclid=CNHphNG3mtQCFce87QodwoUM1g

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Some sessions I came out with irritant skin as in sore to touch for a few hours. Also came out light red a couple of times and it went to tan!

OK, it has got the correct philips narrowband bulb in it, some have got generic brand bulbs which do not have as long a lifespan and do not produce as tight an output of the preferred wavelength. And you get the goggles & timer, I would suggest using a second backup timer, I use my phone along with another just in case.

By ordering from the US you risk having to pay VAT on that. It says +21% VAT for EU customers so I wonder if they do have some prearrangment, like amazon.com do these days, and some other big stores.

I believe they are putting the correct philips bulb into a device housing which was originally designed for drying nails with UV light. So the bulb has the same connection and the electronics are the same.

Yes its being shipped from a european base. worked out about 180 euro including VAT.

Thank you so much for linking all the different products that are out there. It would seem they are all just using the same bulb but different housing for them all. I will give it a go and see how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

My psorasis is really getting me down. I'm having a bad flare on my scalp and my groin. The cocois isn't working and I'm fed up. Just wanted to rant and get it off my chest

I have been doing alternate days of dithrocream 1% undiluted 1 day and dovonex the next day. It seems to be working well, still red/pink and stained from the dithrocream but very smooth. There is some scales but all tiny bits that rub off if under water in the shower long enough, I have exfoliating gloves which work well. After the shower is when I put creams on as I want it on "raw" skin so it can work better.

Surprisingly I can see no studies or anything about using combinations like this. I was thinking of using coal tar too. All I can find are compartivie studies, i.e. 1 group using dithrocream and the other group using dovonex.

The dovonex certainly does make you more photosensitive as I got sunburn using my UVB light. I also tried a very small bit on my neck and noticed it was red after being out in the sun.

I'm at the end of my tether. I've used all the creams, shampoos, lotions and potions both OTC and prescription nothing works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Jrop wrote: »
    My psorasis is really getting me down. I'm having a bad flare on my scalp and my groin. The cocois isn't working and I'm fed up. Just wanted to rant and get it off my chest

Hey Jrop, hang in there, the flare will pass. I know the feeling. It's such a dose of a condition.
    I have a stash of whatever at home, and I just use whatever whenever. That is, I have some dithrocream, dovonex, and countless remedies and potions, but I put no pressure on myself to follow a regime.

I'll fire something on when I feel like it, think of it, or to target one specific spot, but I refuse to be a slave to it.
    Sometimes I flare badly, but all I'll use is whatever moisturising cream I have handy at that time (although I will avoid perfumed ones, I'm not really into pain :)). Sometimes I'll use a "bad" cream on purpose when I'm flaring, like one with perfume, as if I put on one that seals everything too well the flake situation gets silly.

There is no difference between treating with contempt, and treating with products, as far as I'm concerned, so I treat with contempt.

When I've a really bad flare, I do make a point of upping my intake of fruit and veg (particularly cucumber and things with high Vit C), it does help bring the inflammation down in my case, and it's no hassle.

Last thing we need is the pressure to have to apply cream X times a day with all the staining/greasiness it involves for no healing whatsoever. Close to 25 years with psoriasis has taught me to do just enough to have at least some level of comfort, with no strenuous routine.

Jrop wrote: »
    I'm at the end of my tether. I've used all the creams, shampoos, lotions and potions both OTC and prescription nothing works.
    did you ever consider (or get) UVB treatment. There are ones with comb attachments so the light travels down the transparent tubes and is close to the skin -for people with long or thick hair.

107248-9471410.jpg

I discussed UV light treatment with my Dermatologist. Time for another appointment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

mcbobbyb wrote: »
    Without going to the doctor, dovenex from the chemist will get rid of plaque psoriasis. It's about €20 Euro. I've used lots of creams over the years. Only steroid creams and this have worked but generally the patches return. I was recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis as well and have taking a biologic injection. I'm pretty much psoriasis free now. Not really relevant to your case though but I'd recommend dovenex.

I've been taking Enbrel for nearly 3 years with great affects but recently the plaque psoriasis has started to return:(

Advertisement