Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rizzee wrote: »
    Is dovobet ointment available over the counter up north? Haven't used it in years but might try again for some small for patches... also price wise I remember paying an extortionate amount for a small tube of it,albeit it worked. What's the price these days? Thanks
    I am pretty sure it is prescription only, as I tried to see if it was cheaper online. It is €25 for 60g here OTC, the prescription one costs more (I think 40 something) and I think it is the same strength but with a different mixture/carrier.

EDIT: I was talking about dovonex not dovobet, only dovonex is OTC here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Is dovobet ointment available over the counter up north? Haven't used it in years but might try again for some small for patches... also price wise I remember paying an extortionate amount for a small tube of it,albeit it worked. What's the price these days? Thanks

No idea of price, but if you're getting it, might be worth asking them to prescribe the gel rather than the ointment or lotion. I find it's not only so much easier to use, it also actually works an awful lot better.

They'll give you the ointment though unless it specifically says gel on the prescription!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

I find all creams or ointments lose effectiveness after a few short weeks. Its like the body gets immune to them. Interesting to hear that the gel might work differently, its always been ointment I have tried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

wonga77 wrote: »
    I find all creams or ointments lose effectiveness after a few short weeks. Its like the body gets immune to them. Interesting to hear that the gel might work differently, its always been ointment I have tried

Maybe it's partly because you can actually just dot it on to where's needed, like they tell you too. Usually I feel like rolling my eyes at the doctor when he says to do that, ointment doesn't "dot" onto guttate psoriasis.

But it's also because you can put it on and get dressed afterwards, not wait for ages for it to absorb! And even so I'd always be all sticky and yicky afterwards. It's just like clear oil, but dryer, if that makes ANY sense. And it works so much quicker than the ointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I reckon it is easier to overuse the liquid one and so the vaseline OTC type one is sort of self regulating. Like some countries might have higher age limits or restrictions on spirits rather than beer.

This is the price I got in an email from a chemist here.
    We have a prescription pack that is 30g Cream tube size that costs approximately €26.

The over-the-counter Dovonex Psoriasis Ointment 60g (available without prescription) is €25 for plaque psoriasis, but certain restrictions are in place to avail of this over the counter. Most importantly, you must have been previously diagnosed by a doctor. Other conditions to be met are also in place.

The dovonex was working great for me but has sort of come to a halt, with spots not getting better or worse. And brand new patches do seem to be appearring, which I was worried would happen, though they are more preferable places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Sorry I don't know why I said ointment, I meant the gel!! The one that is very similar to Vaseline.

I found when using it for long period of time it kind of stopped working. Then again this was years ago. Will try on and off once a week or something.

I will check out the dovonex. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JoeBloggs12345

Has anyone ever used Alphaderm or Soolantra?

Many years ago I had bad psoriasis on my face and body but for the last number of years I have been very clear apart from a few small spots on my legs and the odd very small spot on my trunk - nothing to speak of really. My face never fully cleared really, it was always there in the background but I was always able to keep it looking fine and clear using a (steroid) cream called Alphaderm. However, this cream is very hard/impossible to get these days, I cant find it anywhere in Ireland or England. And so my facial psoriasis has returned with a vengeance.

Recently my dermatologist prescribed Soolantra for my face because he thinks that it may actually be Rosacea on my face and not psoriasis. To be fair, he made this diagnosis before it got bad on my face. Ive been using Soolantra for a few weeks now and its hasnt done much yet at all. Im actually worried it could be making things worse because one of the side effects is dry skin. The first few days of using it on a test patch were tough. HAd a burning sensation on my face and it got angry looking. Im aware that its used for the treatment of demodex mites in rosacea patients but im wondering could it help psoriasis too? Im going to make another appointment with the dermatologist anyway to check its ok to keep going.

Has anyone any experience with Soolantra?

Have people ever had this trouble getting a solid diagnosis for Psoriasis vs Rosacea?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Can't help you there JoeBloggs but I've been using Silkis for a week and it has cleared my face including the redness to 95% (barely noticeable) and the P Psoriasis on my hands to about the same however the redness is still there. I noticed a difference pretty much after a day. Supposedly it takes about two weeks to see the full benefit so I'm hoping the redness disappears too!
    I'm thankful that it worked on my face so quick because it's a gel. One of those that takes ages to absorb if you know what I mean. It's quite noticeable.
    Rereading your post there...my trouble spots on my face looked angry only on the first/ second day for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

hbhook wrote: »
    Can't help you there JoeBloggs but I've been using Silkis for a week and it has cleared my face including the redness to 95% (barely noticeable) and the P Psoriasis on my hands to about the same however the redness is still there. I noticed a difference pretty much after a day. Supposedly it takes about two weeks to see the full benefit so I'm hoping the redness disappears too!
    I'm thankful that it worked on my face so quick because it's a gel. One of those that takes ages to absorb if you know what I mean. It's quite noticeable.
    Rereading your post there...my trouble spots on my face looked angry only on the first/ second day for a while.

Was just reading about silkis today. Did your doctor suggest it or did you? Do you think I can ask to try it? I've been using steroids for the first time properly but i've been using em too long on my face now, on and off around a month and a half. would like to try something different and heard silkis was very good

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Arranged an appointment with the doctor as soon as I heard about it here last week. No problems getting it at all. I'm sure there are some here that know the science stuff/ ingredients better than I do but it's nice to know that it's free from steroids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Mark_Crowley

Another recommendation that worked for me:

Uriage Keratosane 30 Gel. Over the counter moisturiser with 30% Urea.

Worked a charm for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭vegetables

Hello Everyone.

Eczema sufferer here.

I saw the title and just want to get the word out there about diet and skin conditions.

My eczema has vastly improved due to a change in diet.

I've been for light treatment in the past (eccles st) and was a dermatology out patient. I've been on steroid creams and was offered oral meds (which I refused).

Anyway, having lived with it for a long time in the past I know all about having a skin issue.

And I want to get the word out; A high carb, low fat diet, with no dairy or processed sugar worked wonders for me. It can for you too.

Please look at Rob Stuarts youtube channel, or any channel that promotes a plant based diet for improving skin problems.

Theres no magic potion to buy, although he does sell cook books - which I personally haven't yet bought. This isn't a sales talk, it can all be done for free.

Please spread the word because back in feb/march I was heavily affected by eczema, stressed up to my eyeballs, now in July it isn't something I think about.

Gut health = skin health.

It beats all the betnovate and fucibet and UV treatment out there.

I'll be around boards, pm me if you like.

Went to gp for an unrelated matter and got talking about my psoriasis at the end of appointment.

He wants me to try out Duac Gel for a while and gave me a prescription. When I went to the chemist the pharmacist said that it was for acne? He rang the gp and was ensured that this was the gel for me to try. Never had any signs of acne or bad skin (spots etc) in my life apart from the dry skin from psoriasis.

Is anyone tried the gel before? Once daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Duac is for acne. Can't see how that would work

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭vegetables

Try a plant based diet for a week.

No meat, eggs, dairy, processed sugar, coffee, alcohol, oils, flour.

Get fresh fruit and veg. Rice, beans, oats, coconut/rice milk, honey or maple syrup. Pure fruit juices. Spices, mustard.

Its tasty and easy, it worked well for yours truly.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Duac is for acne. Can't see how that would work

Yep, as I said... He was persistent on the phone to the chemist even though I have no signs of it. Anyway, day two today.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Just back from a visit to Dr. Tobin. I had bloods taken and depending on all being well I will start on either Methotrexate or Fumaric Acid Esters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,525 ✭✭✭brevity

Jrop wrote: »
    Fumaric Acid Esters.

I think I saw them at Electric Picnic a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

just back from two week holiday down in wexford - my husbands skin cleared up from splashing about in the sea water. Massive improvement.

We are going to try sea salt in the bath to see if it works. If not we might just have to go back to the beach! ;)

Salt water helps but it really stings so it's always something I find hard to do.

• Advertisement

Rang GO earlier and complained about the Duac cream doing nothing and that I wanted the Dovobet. Got the prescription anyway and went to the chemist... 70 euro !!! Will have to wait til pay day this week. Crazy price, but I think it was more expensive about 5 years ago when I last got it.

Yeah it's expensive alright, the 60g tube?
    Some f uckers somewhere are coining it in on others misfortunes. Probably doesn't cost a whole lot to manufacture

Yes it's very expensive but it will help. Apart from Enbrel it's the only other thing that worked for me. Once you get under control a little goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

wonga77 wrote: »
    Yeah it's expensive alright, the 60g tube?
    Some f uckers somewhere are coining it in on others misfortunes. Probably doesn't cost a whole lot to manufacture
    It is still on patent so will be pricey until generic versions become available.
    Most people don't know that any medicine you apply to the skin is subject to VAT at 23% so a big chunk goes straight to the taxman. If you take a medicine by mouth there is no VAT. Complain to your TD.

Yeah it worked years ago but then I was applying in a daily basis and it's almost as if my body got used to it and the psoriasis came back. I'm hoping to use it just every now and then when a patch appears and stop using it when it goes and have it under control.

Not sure whether it's the 60g gel or not, must check prescription.

echo beach wrote: »
    It is still on patent so will be pricey until generic versions become available.
    Most people don't know that any medicine you apply to the skin is subject to VAT at 23% so a big chunk goes straight to the taxman. If you take a medicine by mouth there is no VAT. Complain to your TD.

Il ring Healy Rae in the morning :)
    How do you mean its still on patent? Hasnt it been on the market for years now?

Yeah it worked years ago but then I was applying in a daily basis and it's almost as if my body got used to it and the psoriasis came back. I'm hoping to use it just every now and then when a patch appears and stop using it when it goes and have it under control.

Not sure whether it's the 60g gel or not, must check prescription.
    I never used the gel but spent 10 years on the ointment. I was coming to the point where it was loosing effectivness and at the same time I moved to a really brilliant GP who taught me how to manage my Psoriasis properly. You can't eliminate the use of Dovobet but by using it in a targeted way you can massively reduce how much you use.
    The regime I was on was basically using Dovobet twice a week for maintainance when I was good and then 5 times during flare ups. The days I wouldn't use Dovobet I would either use Dovonex or just Moisturiser. So I still used Dovobet but much less of it and actually got better results by using it the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

For some reason I get much better results with the gel rather than the ointment - it's much easier to apply, too.

Got the gel there, opened it the car and was not what I was looking for. I keep getting mixed up between gel and ointment!! Went in and the pharmacist exchanged, came to 82 euro for x2 30g of the ointment. Day 1 :)

• Advertisement

Day 3 on the dovabet again and its clearing up already :)

Advertisement