Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

I used Nizoral shampoo for the first time in about a year yesterday. Actually left it in the 5 minutes without washing it off! This morning waking up I have absolutely no psoriasis on my scalp (under fringe) and in eyebrows. It's a weird feeling!! :D I know it will come back but I'm hoping I can react this good each time I use it. To top it off i'm off on holidays tomorrow for 6 days so will make use of the sun and saltwater.

Still using Vaseline Aloe Vera intensive care 2/3 times a day all over body and silcocks base in the shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Sorry to hear that. I thought the sun would have a good effect on my skin but its broken out so bad (not because of the sun). I've gotten into the vicious cycle of steroids because its gotten out of control. Doctors say nothing but steroids and moisturisers, I feel like over time its having a swelling effect, anyone else experience that with steroids? I've kind of lost hope and just live the fact that I now have permanent red blobs on my face.

What do you use on your face? I can’t say I ever experienced that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,525 ✭✭✭brevity

Sorry to hear that. I thought the sun would have a good effect on my skin but its broken out so bad (not because of the sun). I've gotten into the vicious cycle of steroids because its gotten out of control. Doctors say nothing but steroids and moisturisers, I feel like over time its having a swelling effect, anyone else experience that with steroids? I've kind of lost hope and just live the fact that I now have permanent red blobs on my face.

Obligatory "I'm not a doctor but" ... but that's bull****.

If the doctor can't help you then you should be referred to a dermatologist.

There are various stages of treatment and steroid creams are just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Phil1969

eeloe wrote: »
    I was using enstilar for the last year or so, and to be honest it did work on my elbows, everywhere else not so much.

Back on Dovobet at the moment, and it's not really doing much.

Nearly ended up in hospital at the weekend, my right leg got really bad in the heat, ended up weeping and just being really flared up. 6hr wait in A&E when i rang, so i just went to the caredoc and he gave me antibiotics.

The heat is really doing me no favours.

I have only been testing enstilar on my leg, I never go all in the first time as over the years I have found some medications to be irritating for me.

I hope your leg is ok now, my psoriasis has only once flared up really bad in the heat where the sun actually caused a blister to foam over a psoriasis patch. Mind you, that was on Bondi beach many moons ago, and it was hot! But yeah, need to take in this heat we are having, it can affect the psoriasis in the wrong way, although normally the sun is great for my psoriasis.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

MY leg is okay now, the P has actually dried up from what it was on Sunday, so it's back to being dry and flakey, which i guess i can live with until i can see the dermo next month.

The rapid spread of it all over the rest of my body is a bit worrying now tho, i'm getting new smaller patches almost daily.

• Advertisement

MY leg is okay now, the P has actually dried up from what it was on Sunday, so it's back to being dry and flakey, which i guess i can live with until i can see the dermo next month.

The rapid spread of it all over the rest of my body is a bit worrying now tho, i'm getting new smaller patches almost daily.

Keep taking the antibiotics and cover yourself in moisturizer twice a day. That should help to slow the flaking.

I actually think I might be putting on too much moisturiser/dovobet to be honest, as the legs were moist and itchy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Robin132 wrote: »
    Can I ask the people on methotrexate, how often do you get your bloods done?

Every three months.

Are you 100 clear while on metho?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Phil1969

I actually think I might be putting on too much moisturiser/dovobet to be honest, as the legs were moist and itchy?

I stopped using dovobet as it make my skin dry and itchy. I did not like how it was working at all. I am sure it must work well for some people but not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I’m on Methotrexate (have been for around 7 years or so) and only get my bloods done once a year :/

How clear are you on methotrexate ibarelycare?

I have a feeling my dermo is gonna suggest that before anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

How clear are you on methotrexate ibarelycare?

I have a feeling my dermo is gonna suggest that before anything else.

I am on both methotrexate and humira for psoriatic arthritis. My P was never overly severe but would flare up in different parts of my body. It’s a lot more localised now and it hasn’t appeared in any new places in years. It’s currently only on my scalp, behind my ears, and a bit on my forehead and under my eye that flare up in a small way from time to time. So they have helped in a huge way.

I’m pretty covered, legs, arms chest and back, and behind my ears and in my ear canals.

I’m gonna need the big guns to help get rid of this.

I think I have a touch of PA too, I was putting the dodgy knees and elbows down to too much training....but I think it could actually be PA.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 garry18

brevity wrote: »
    I had to go back to the dermatologist as the Humira stopped being effective and she is going to start me on Stelara. She seemed to think it's a good option for me.

Once I have my bloods done then I'm good to go.

Anyone on Stelara?

I was on Stelara for 4 years, was really the only thing that worked long term on my eczema. Before i was on Stelara, i was placed on cyclosporine ,cellcept and imuran but all caused me to eventually have bad side effects.

I was self injecting Stelara every 3 months with monthly blood tests(stomach or thigh), it cleared everything up. Iv been off all medication now for just over 3 years and my skin is in the best condition its ever been in, daily moisturising seems to keep any flair ups away.

Hopefully it will work as good for you:), any questions ill be happy to answer

garry18 wrote: »
    I was on Stelara for 4 years, was really the only thing that worked long term on my eczema. Before i was on Stelara, i was placed on cyclosporine ,cellcept and imuran but all caused me to eventually have bad side effects.

I was self injecting Stelara every 3 months with monthly blood tests(stomach or thigh), it cleared everything up. Iv been off all medication now for just over 3 years and my skin is in the best condition its ever been in, daily moisturising seems to keep any flair ups away.

Hopefully it will work as good for you:), any questions ill be happy to answer

Thanks for that. Good to know it was successful.

Were you told to come off it? I was under the impression that it was something I'd be on forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 garry18

Thanks for that. Good to know it was successful.

Were you told to come off it? I was under the impression that it was something I'd be on forever.

For me it was not a life long medication, I was clear for so long while on Stelara that the dermatologist suggested skipping a injection and seeing how i do without it and if any breakouts were to occur i would be put back on it. I was lucky that no breakouts happened, i think they were more concerned about the possible side effects.

When they decided to put me on Stelara it was said to me that Stelara is not usually prescribed for eczema but it was part of a test to see if it was effective for people with eczema and from speaking to the nurses in Waterford it was not effective for the majority.

I've been doing a lot of research this weekend and i keep seeing lots of promising results with Taltz.

Anyone used it here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Are you 100 clear while on metho?

I'm not 100% clear, but great improvement to skin pso. I was kind of like you, knees, bits on sides of feet, drops on legs back, and hips, worse spot was hands & arms, some in ear canal and on ears, nearly none on face. Now just fore arms/,elbows and little bit on hands, drops on legs are negligible, knees clear ! Still a bit inside/outside ear but much better.

PsA still there a bit, I have now come to terms with fact that I won't be fully back to "none whatsoever" status, but energy levels are truly up although some fatigue remains.

I'm not 100% clear, but great improvement to skin pso. I was kind of like you, knees, bits on sides of feet, drops on legs back, and hips, worse spot was hands & arms, some in ear canal and on ears, nearly none on face. Now just fore arms/,elbows and little bit on hands, drops on legs are negligible, knees clear ! Still a bit inside/outside ear but much better.

PsA still there a bit, I have now come to terms with fact that I won't be fully back to "none whatsoever" status, but energy levels are truly up although some fatigue remains.

Yeah that's why i'd be steering towards getting on Enbrel or Humira personally, i want to be as clear as i can be.

Is there anyone here on any of the biologics that trains a lot? be it gym general lifting, or any martial arts?

Now i'm starting to get worried about picking up other infections if i end up on one of the injections! :(

• Advertisement

Is there anyone here on any of the biologics that trains a lot? be it gym general lifting, or any martial arts?

Now i'm starting to get worried about picking up other infections if i end up on one of the injections! :(

I did Thai Boxing twice a week for a year or so but had to pack it in due to the Humira being less effective and my legs were covered in psoriasis. Will have to start again when it (hopefully) clears up with Stelara.

I got a staph infection on my hand but I think that was from using shared gloves. When I bought my own gear I was fine.

I did Thai Boxing twice a week for a year or so but had to pack it in due to the Humira being less effective and my legs were covered in psoriasis. Will have to start again when it (hopefully) clears up with Stelara.

I got a staph infection on my hand but I think that was from using shared gloves. When I bought my own gear I was fine.

That's not exactly what i wanted to hear! :(

Damn it.

That's not exactly what i wanted to hear! :(

Damn it.

Im not sure what activities you do but I'd say you will be fine.

Just keep your gear clean - there is a specific shower gel you can get, I heard Joe Rogan mention it. Some antibacterial wash that MMA athletes use.

I have a kid and they catch everything and I was fine while on Humira.

Just keep your gear clean - there is a specific shower gel you can get, I heard Joe Rogan mention it. Some antibacterial wash that MMA athletes use.

I do BJJ in the Gi, i was hoping to move over to no Gi when my skin is clear, but now i'm not so sure! :(

I agree with this. Just clean your gear with antibacterial wipes after and wash your hands/body well.

I do BJJ in the Gi, i was hoping to move over to no Gi when my skin is clear, but now i'm not so sure! :(

Rash guard?

I should have just worn one on my legs so I could keep doing Muay Thai but I just packed it in completely. A big regret.

Rash guard?

I should have just worn one on my legs so I could keep doing Muay Thai but I just packed it in completely. A big regret.

I already wear a rash guard and spats under the gi, well i haven't trained the last few weeks because of an MCL injury, but hoping to get back soon.

I'm not looking forward to the sweat in this heat, i think it's going to drive me over the edge.

I've only got this flare up since i stopped training with the injury, i got dry needling done on my knee, and the next day i broke out.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭mayobumblebee

Very bad scalp p at the min. I was letting my hair grow but wonder if its the cause of my problem. Anyone find hair length a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

Very bad scalp p at the min. I was letting my hair grow but wonder if its the cause of my problem. Anyone find hair length a problem?

Yes. I notice the plaques getting thicker under my hair when it gets a little long. I usually get a short back and sides every few weeks but when I leave it any longer the plaques are noticeably worse.

• Advertisement

I’m finding the same thing, keep it short and I don’t have as much build up.

Advertisement