Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Calmcookie84

eeloe wrote: »
    Topicals(enstilar and other creams) never actually gave me clearance, they literally only removed the flaking for me, so i was always left with the red plaques.

How long have you been using the Enstilar? if you're finding it really itchy, particularly at night time, my GP advised me to use Phenergan anti-histamine just before bed, 10ml of it, and you sleep like a baby, basically knocks you out cold so you can't scratch it in your sleep, i find if i don't scratch it in my sleep, it's not itchy the next day....which aids in the healing.

It's no joke on the feet, i thought i just had really dry feet from getting mat burns at training, turns out my soles are covered in P. :(

Thanks for your reply. I have only just started to use it yesterday. It was murder in bed last night. I don’t have much plaques but covered in red rough skin that looks really angry. Is the anti histamine that mentioned over the counter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

Not only does Enbrel not work for IBD but it may potentially cause it . Waiting to see a GI consultant and luckily have an appointment with Professor Kirby in a month.
    Enbrel stopped working for me so I am about to start taking Stelara.  Apparently it is also very good for Crohn's disease.  It is quite new but apparently very good for Psoriasis.  Might be worth discussing it with your consultant.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Phil1969

I have had a bad flare up in the last week. I normally only have P on my scalp and my eyelids, but now it is from the tops of my thighs to my feet, my back and across my abdomen. My GP started me on Enstilar yesterday. It has made my thighs even more itchy than before I started. Does anyone know when I should start seeing results?

I have been using Enstilar for around 8 weeks now, after a few days by skin cleared of the plaques and skin became smooth but definitely not clear. My skin did not itch tho, I generally put it on a few hours before I went to bed. I was very hopeful but a few days ago I became a little disappointed to find small flare ups starting up in other areas. I think the Enstilar is stopping the P in some places but the P still wants to get out of the body and therefore seems to finding another way to get out, hence the flare ups in other parts of the body.

I have also been on an elimination diet, I think I am having better results with this then any medication I ever tried in the last 30 years. I think I will continue with this for now and see how I go! And, as a bonus, I have lost 8kg in 2 months :D which is nice as I needed to lose it plus more!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Thanks for your reply. I have only just started to use it yesterday. It was murder in bed last night. I don’t have much plaques but covered in red rough skin that looks really angry. Is the anti histamine that mentioned over the counter?

Yep, your P sounds like what my legs are covered in.

Phenergan is an OTC product, i think the 100ml bottle is around 7 euros....take 2 teaspoons(10ml, get a measuring cup, much easier) a night, about 30 mins before bed. For me, i experience no itching, i don't wake up covered in blood. My wife even says i wake up in the same position i fell asleep in, so it really is putting me in to a deep sleep every night. You can still take regular anti histamines during the day too to help the itching during the day, just get a generic brand, you get around a months supply for a tenner.

To be honest, if my GP didn't tell me to take this, i'd be in absolute bits the last couple of weeks while i was waiting for my dermatology appointment.

Yep, your P sounds like what my legs are covered in.

Phenergan is an OTC product, i think the 100ml bottle is around 7 euros....take 2 teaspoons(10ml, get a measuring cup, much easier) a night, about 30 mins before bed. For me, i experience no itching, i don't wake up covered in blood. My wife even says i wake up in the same position i fell asleep in, so it really is putting me in to a deep sleep every night. You can still take regular anti histamines during the day too to help the itching during the day, just get a generic brand, you get around a months supply for a tenner.

To be honest, if my GP didn't tell me to take this, i'd be in absolute bits the last couple of weeks while i was waiting for my dermatology appointment.

I’m going to try this out this evening. I can’t do another night like last night. Thank you so much for the tip. I’m so used to coping with P on my scalp but having it on my body seems to be more itchy.

• Advertisement

Phil1969 wrote: »
    I have been using Enstilar for around 8 weeks now, after a few days by skin cleared of the plaques and skin became smooth but definitely not clear. My skin did not itch tho, I generally put it on a few hours before I went to bed. I was very hopeful but a few days ago I became a little disappointed to find small flare ups starting up in other areas. I think the Enstilar is stopping the P in some places but the P still wants to get out of the body and therefore seems to finding another way to get out, hence the flare ups in other parts of the body.

I have also been on an elimination diet, I think I am having better results with this then any medication I ever tried in the last 30 years. I think I will continue with this for now and see how I go! And, as a bonus, I have lost 8kg in 2 months :D which is nice as I needed to lose it plus more!

This is the first flare up on my body since being a kid. I’ve had a really rough couple of months so my GP thinks it’s because of stress that this flare up has occurred. Well done on the weight loss. I lost 30lbs last summer but it didn’t have any impact of the P on my scalp. I think a stress free month in the sun would see me right lol!

I’m going to try this out this evening. I can’t do another night like last night. Thank you so much for the tip. I’m so used to coping with P on my scalp but having it on my body seems to be more itchy.

Be sure to let me know how you get on. DON'T use the 25ml dose that's stated on the box, you probably won't wake up until tomorrow evening taking that much.

10ml does me, and that's what the doc suggested to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Phil1969

This is the first flare up on my body since being a kid. I’ve had a really rough couple of months so my GP thinks it’s because of stress that this flare up has occurred. Well done on the weight loss. I lost 30lbs last summer but it didn’t have any impact of the P on my scalp. I think a stress free month in the sun would see me right lol!

Yes, I think stress definitely plays a part in P but I think for me, my diet plays a part too so cutting out dairy items for a while to see what happens, and so far so good. After 30 years of listening to GPs advice on P, I have give up on them.

Congrats with your weight loss too :), I think most of us would love a month the sun!

Be sure to let me know how you get on. DON'T use the 25ml dose that's stated on the box, you probably won't wake up until tomorrow evening taking that much.

10ml does me, and that's what the doc suggested to me.

I’ll let you know tomorrow for sure. Thanks again 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

re scalp, I am using the MG217 shampoo and it has cleared my scalp completely. Dont think you can buy here so I got it sent over from America, the first product that has worked wonders for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Thanks for the reply.

I told Prof.Kirby i’m aiming to get 100% clearance, so hopefully he won’t have me on this too long before moving me on to something else.

I can’t compete at my favourite sport until this is completely gone, because open wounds aren’t allowed at the events, and they class P as a wound, so I need it gone.

The more i’m thinking, I might have a touch of PA also, but I do a lot of training too, so I could just be generally stuff from the gym, it’s really hard to know!
    I’m still not 100% clear but a hell of a lot better than I was before. I didn’t have it as severe as yours sounds but nothing was working for me so ended up on
    Topicals(enstilar and other creams) never actually gave me clearance, they literally only removed the flaking for me, so i was always left with the red plaques.

How long have you been using the Enstilar? if you're finding it really itchy, particularly at night time, my GP advised me to use Phenergan anti-histamine just before bed, 10ml of it, and you sleep like a baby, basically knocks you out cold so you can't scratch it in your sleep, i find if i don't scratch it in my sleep, it's not itchy the next day....which aids in the healing.
    P. :(
    Enstillar has the same ingredients as Dovobet which Professor Kirby is strongly against. I was years on topicals and they do help to a point but knowing what I do now, they are only ever a short term fix and really just mask it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Gael23 wrote: »
    I’m still not 100% clear but a hell of a lot better than I was before. I didn’t have it as severe as yours sounds but nothing was working for me so ended up on

Enstillar has the same ingredients as Dovobet which Professor Kirby is strongly against. I was years on topicals and they do help to a point but knowing what I do now, they are only ever a short term fix and really just mask it.

I have P on my elbows,knees, arms and lately my legs. I did have P on my scalp but for some unknown reason it has reduced significantly over the years. Anytime i go to my GP for treatment all he prescribes is Imulsiving Ointment which he says I should use when I'm having a shower he told me it will stop the itching but all it does is soften the flakes and I am left with red patches. He also prescribed me Dovebet and said this would remove the red patches. I've tried both and found that they are only a short term solution and have given up hope on ever finding a long tem solution. I just put up with the ich at this stage.

If I can get it reduced by 80% i’ll be happy.

A little patch on a leg or an elbow wouldn’t be an issue for me, could pass it off if someone saw it.

But when you’re covered it’s hard, especially having to explain what it is.

And the nightly ritual of applying ointments and creams and stuff is getting a bit sickening! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

If I can get it reduced by 80% i’ll be happy.

A little patch on a leg or an elbow wouldn’t be an issue for me, could pass it off if someone saw it.

But when you’re covered it’s hard, especially having to explain what it is.

And the nightly ritual of applying ointments and creams and stuff is getting a bit sickening! :(

What's most annoying for me is when my P starts to itch at night and I start scratching. My bed does be covered in white flakes the next morning. I used to be embarrassed when going to the gym or when wearing shorts but now I have excepted that I am going to have P for the rest of my life and I can't let it stop me from doing certain leisure activities and enjoying life to the full.

natashaob6 wrote: »
    I have P on my elbows,knees, arms and lately my legs. I did have P on my scalp but for some unknown reason it has reduced significantly over the years. Anytime i go to my GP for treatment all he prescribes is Imulsiving Ointment which he says I should use when I'm having a shower he told me it will stop the itching but all it does is soften the flakes and I am left with red patches. He also prescribed me Dovebet and said this would remove the red patches. I've tried both and found that they are only a short term solution and have given up hope on ever finding a long tem solution. I just put up with the ich at this stage.
    The redness is hard to get rid of with any treatment but once you stop the flaking things get much better. Your GP is right to a point but Dovobet is just a short term fix really.

Eeloe, that daily ritual is is something I don’t miss. I still have a bit on my knees and on my chest and face. I always have a tube of Protopic to tackle those. Did he say what the plan is after MTX?

natashaob6 wrote: »
    What's most annoying for me is when my P starts to itch at night and I start scratching. My bed does be covered in white flakes the next morning. I used to be embarrassed when going to the gym or when wearing shorts but now I have excepted that I am going to have P for the rest of my life and I can't let it stop me from doing certain leisure activities and enjoying life to the full.

I wish I had your confidence.

I also compete at a sport(or used to until my P got really bad) that doesn’t allow any skin conditions or open wounds while competing. :(

Gael23 wrote: »
    The redness is hard to get rid of with any treatment but once you stop the flaking things get much better. Your GP is right to a point but Dovobet is just a short term fix really.

Eeloe, that daily ritual is is something I don’t miss. I still have a bit on my knees and on my chest and face. I always have a tube of Protopic to tackle those. Did he say what the plan is after MTX?

After MTX(he is confident the MTX will clear it tho) he said the next step will be biologics, but with my previous history he’s not too sure about putting me on those just yet until he does some more work.

I had some really rare **** when I was younger. :(

It's no joke on the feet, i thought i just had really dry feet from getting mat burns at training, turns out my soles are covered in P. :(

Thanks so much for the Phanergan tip. It worked wonders for me last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Any recommendations for fungal/nail psoriasis. It's actually the worst of my psoriasis at the moment. It's just on my hands and all my nails are white/yellow discoloured and flakey. Chalky white material can gather under the nail, causing it to lift away from the skin. I keep them very short. They do not look healthy at all :/

I had my first Stelara injection today so fingers crossed it does the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rizzee wrote: »
    Any recommendations for fungal/nail psoriasis. It's actually the worst of my psoriasis at the moment. It's just on my hands and all my nails are white/yellow discoloured and flakey. I keep them very short. They do not look healthy at all :/
    I cut mine short and last week put some dovonex cream under them (the OTC stuff with no steroids), I put it on my finger and smeared it in under the nails, like how dirty car oil or muck would get caught under your nails. I pushed it well in with a cocktail stick. I have done this a couple of times since and it seems to have made a good improvement.

rubadub wrote: »
    I cut mine short and last week put some dovonex cream under them (the OTC stuff with no steroids), I put it on my finger and smeared it in under the nails, like how dirty car oil or muck would get caught under your nails. I pushed it well in with a cocktail stick. I have done this a couple of times since and it seems to have made a good improvement.

Thanks for that, i'll give it a bash sure no harm. I actually have a tube of that at home I never opened. Also have dovobet in the fridge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rizzee wrote: »
    Thanks for that, i'll give it a bash sure no harm.
    Mine comes & goes, so I cannot be certain it was this that did it, only 3 fingers are anyway noticeable now, not so long ago I was clenching my fist to hide them from people.

Toenails have also improved.

I have coal tar too and am going to try it at night

Just searching there.

Dovonex is calcipotriol, aka calcipotriene.

https://www.psoriasis.org/advance/potential-new-solution-nail-psoriasis
    A group of researchers from Greece and Switzerland reported on trial results testing a new way of managing nail psoriasis that puts familiar psoriasis treatments in a solution designed specifically for nails.

The Phase II trial enrolled almost 80 patients, having them use one of two psoriasis nail solutions or a placebo treatment once a day for about six months. Patients had to have mild-to-moderate psoriasis, with psoriasis on at least one fingernail.

One treatment contained cyclosporine while the other contained the vitamin D-based treatment calcipotriene.

At the end of the study, researchers found that the calcipotriene-based solution delivered the greatest improvement in nail psoriasis. The cyclosporine treatment helped the nail bed but not the nail matrix, which is the part of the nail located under the skin.

According to the results, the nail solutions were also deemed safe for patients in that no patients in any treatment group had a serious side effect, and no patients withdrew from the study because of a side effect.

Based on the findings, the researchers concluded that the calcipotriene-based nail solution should be further developed and tested in clinical trials. A Phase III trial for the treatment, known as P-3073, is recruiting.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16409901

Misguided1 wrote: »

Fingers crossed for you, please report back and let us know!

Great to see that some people are actually getting relief from this affliction.

Counting down the days till August 17th so i can get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,525 ✭✭✭brevity

Had mine about a month ago and due one the start of August. I don't have an issue with needles but I'm not looking forward to injecting myself. The Humira pens were much easier despite the whack off them.

brevity wrote: »

Had mine about a month ago and due one the start of August. I don't have an issue with needles but I'm not looking forward to injecting myself. The Humira pens were much easier despite the whack off them.
    Yea - I was on Enbrel and the pen was much easier.  I actually did the injection myself today supervised by the nurse.  Was more nervous than I expected but didn't feel the injection at all.  It's just a bit more fiddly than the pen but 2 seconds shorter!!

After MTX(he is confident the MTX will clear it tho) he said the next step will be biologics, but with my previous history he’s not too sure about putting me on those just yet until he does some more work.

I had some really rare **** when I was younger. :(
    I was a bit similar with MTX in that he was slow to give it to me due to unrelated issues. Surely you will need something to keep it away after methotrexate clears it? I had PUVA which is supposed to last years but as soon as I stopped it crept slowly back and I would have thought similar would happen with mtx or ant treatment.

He’s hopeful that MTX will give me clearance long term, he did said if there’s a reoccurrence we can look at biologics.

Was at training again tonight and the heat was absolutely chronic, sweating all over my plaques really wasn’t pleasant. My shower after training was actually quite painful.

Does anyone take or have tried CBD oil for anti-inflammatory benefits?

• Advertisement

I took it for a while, IMO it done nothing.

could work for other people tho, can also be quite expensive.

Advertisement