Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

eeloe wrote: »
    I took it for a while, IMO it done nothing.

could work for other people tho, can also be quite expensive.

I just got one of the 10ml bottles, used it for a week and cleared a lot but as soon as I had a few beers Saturday night it was back to what it was. So it was more of a chance of the alcohol not being in the system than the oil I reckon.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Possibly more to do with the alcohol than the CBD.

I could be 100% wrong tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Any of you guys have any experience using Dovobet on plaque psoriasis?

Got a 60g tube of Dovobet ointment which cost me about 60 euros, itching and flaking has gone and the plaque isn't as red but the plaque hasn't cleared. Been using it for a week and I have a feeling this is as good as it will get. I used it before when my psoriasis was spotty (instead of plaque) and it worked well but this is my first time using it for plaque psoriasis and am a bit worried about it not clearing up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭Heroditas

rubadub wrote: »
    I cut mine short and last week put some dovonex cream under them (the OTC stuff with no steroids), I put it on my finger and smeared it in under the nails, like how dirty car oil or muck would get caught under your nails. I pushed it well in with a cocktail stick. I have done this a couple of times since and it seems to have made a good improvement.

Do you need a prescription to get it?
    I have had nail psoriasis for the last 8 years but it had disappeared until a fortnight ago. Literally overnight 5 of my nails displayed symptoms again. Back to hiding my hands and having zero faith in using the nails for anything because I'm afraid they'll pull away from the fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Dovonex is over the counter, no prescription required, it's about 20-25 euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Brilliant. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

siblers wrote: »
    Any of you guys have any experience using Dovobet on plaque psoriasis?

Got a 60g tube of Dovobet ointment which cost me about 60 euros, itching and flaking has gone and the plaque isn't as red but the plaque hasn't cleared. Been using it for a week and I have a feeling this is as good as it will get. I used it before when my psoriasis was spotty (instead of plaque) and it worked well but this is my first time using it for plaque psoriasis and am a bit worried about it not clearing up

Keep it up. A week is not long enough . In my case, improvement was slow but consistent for a number of weeks of use. I hope you get more improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Dovobet is a bit of a short term fix. Yes it works but it really only masks the symptoms rather then addressing the internal cause

Finally got my GP to take my blood tests today for metho.

So all going well, Vincent’s will have my results when Prof Kirby gets back from his holiday and I’ll have my script soon for MTX.

Today was a balls of a day, over the last few weeks the soles of my feet have gotten really bad...hard and dry and flaking. Was walking down stairs this morning and slipped off the last 3 step, due to my feet asking like ski’s. Suspected broken toes, gotta go for x-rays in the morning to confirm.

The joys.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

So all going well, Vincent’s will have my results when Prof Kirby gets back from his holiday and I’ll have my script soon for MTX.

Today was a balls of a day, over the last few weeks the soles of my feet have gotten really bad...hard and dry and flaking. Was walking down stairs this morning and slipped off the last 3 step, due to my feet asking like ski’s. Suspected broken toes, gotta go for x-rays in the morning to confirm.

The joys.

Very sorry to hear that. Hopefully no bones broken. Psoriasis is the gift that just keeps giving......

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

Today was a balls of a day, over the last few weeks the soles of my feet have gotten really bad...hard and dry and flaking. Was walking down stairs this morning and slipped off the last 3 step, due to my feet asking like ski’s.  Suspected broken toes, gotta go for x-rays in the morning to confirm.

The joys.
    Yikes - that's terrible.  Hope its not too serious and you recover quickly!
    Don't know if its the heat or not but my skin is itching like never before.  1 week after my first stelara injection and no big change.  Possibly less flaking and I'm trying to tell myself the itching is my skin healing (delusional - I know) but it's hard to adjust to 1 injection and then a 4 week wait until the next one.  Feels like it will take ages to build up any level of treatment in my system.

Misguided1 wrote: »
    Yikes - that's terrible.  Hope its not too serious and you recover quickly!
    Don't know if its the heat or not but my skin is itching like never before.  1 week after my first stelara injection and no big change.  Possibly less flaking and I'm trying to tell myself the itching is my skin healing (delusional - I know) but it's hard to adjust to 1 injection and then a 4 week wait until the next one.  Feels like it will take ages to build up any level of treatment in my system.

How are you getting on with Stelara?

Gael23 wrote: »
    How are you getting on with Stelara?
    The injection was pretty easy.  Not sure how long it takes to kick in though.  My dosage was 1 injection followed by another one 4 weeks later and then a 3rd after 12 weeks, quarterly thereafter.  So I don't know how many injections it takes to start working.  Has anyone else experience with Stelara?

I know Enbrel can take up to 3 months to work but not so familiar with others. I need to change from
    Enbrel and Stelara has been mentioned.

Gael23 wrote: »
    I know Enbrel can take up to 3 months to work but not so familiar with others. I need to change from
    Enbrel and Stelara has been mentioned.
    Yea I had to change from Enbrel too.  It stopped working for my psoriasis.  I had a gap of about 5 weeks between when I stopped taking Enbrel before I started Stelara (blood tests went missing) and my psoriasis has come back with a vengeance.  The injection is painless and shorter than Enbrel by about 2 seconds.  It's not as easy to use as the myclic pen but it was fine and I'm sure second time around it will be even easier.

Just out of the hospital.

Complete break on toe number 4....no cast or anything, just strap it up and stay off it for 3 weeks.

Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Calmcookie84

Just out of the hospital.

Complete break on toe number 4....no cast or anything, just strap it up and stay off it for 3 weeks.

Brilliant!

So sorry to hear that! 😔

So it would appear, after breaking the toe last week, i'm suffering a flare because of it.

Normally, i'd be quite pissed off about this, but now, i'm actually laughing about it....for what ever strange reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Calmcookie84

So it would appear, after breaking the toe last week, i'm suffering a flare because of it.

Normally, i'd be quite pissed off about this, but now, i'm actually laughing about it....for what ever strange reason!

If you don’t laugh you’ll cry. It’s ridiculous, isn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

That's just toe-riffic... :o

• Advertisement

Thats the spirit - don't let it get the better of you! 
    Is anyone finding their psoriais worse because of the heat?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,525 ✭✭✭brevity

I've always found it gets worse in the winter months.

As an aside, had my second injection of Stelara the other day. Next one will be in 12 weeks which seems mad to me...

brevity wrote: »
    I've always found it gets worse in the winter months.

As an aside, had my second injection of Stelara the other day. Next one will be in 12 weeks which seems mad to me...
    Have you noticed any difference after the first one?  My prescription was for the 2nd injection 4 weeks after the first and the 3rd 12 weeks after the first so a total of 12 weeks between the 1st and 3rd.  Hard to understand how it will start working any time soon at that rate but I'm hopeful

It definitely seems to have faded. Im using that Enstilar spray too so the combination seems to be working. The itching has pretty much completely stopped which is great.

Yeah sure look there’s no point in getting my toes in a twist over it like, just deal with the flare. I’ll be starting MTX in a couple weeks which should hopefully be the start of getting this sorted for me, so i’m staying hopeful there.

Currently waiting on the GP’s to ring me back about blood results before they send them to Vincent’s for me. Taking their time to ring back.

Glad to hear the Stelera is working for those who’ve started recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The itching has pretty much completely stopped which is great.

I use Eurax for itching, works in a minute or so. Its in every chemist I have gone to, there is a lotion and a cream. I prefer the cream as I can pinpoint it. I think the lotion is more suited to large areas with a general itch which I do not really get.

https://www.meagherspharmacy.ie/allergy-18206/

I swear by phenergan antihistamine for itching.

Take 10ml at night before bed, helps you sleep and also zero itching through the night.

It seems that I have jinxed myself as my skin has been on fire for the day. I've taken an antihistamine but it's done nothing for me might try that phenergan stuff.

I'm also in the process of giving up sugar so my body is probably going through withdrawals

It seems that I have jinxed myself as my skin has been on fire for the day. I've taken an antihistamine but it's done nothing for me might try that phenergan stuff.

I'm also in the process of giving up sugar so my body is probably going through withdrawals

I'm telling ya, only for my GP told me about this stuff 6-7 weeks ago i'd be in feckin ribbons waiting to start my MTX.

It's been a life saver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I've had a poor blood test result :(
    My GP got on to say that ESR was 40 and creatinine and other kidney stuff not great, plus another starred result that I can't remember.

I have been a bit stiff alright, feet and knees, and I had a little friction wound on my foot that stayed weeping for longer than normal (longer than if I wasn't on MTX). But nothing awful ! The worst was the ferry back from France, the dog was in a kennel down 4 flights of very steep metal steps, and as I went to visit him lots of times, my knees were sore after the crossing. I didn't think it was like a big flare though, just wear and tear sort of thing.

Now I'm worried that MTX might not be working as well ?

I'm only taking it since... I think January, so I'd be very disappointed if I got accustomed to it that fast.

I'm still getting great benefit from it from my point of view as I'm able to do some gardening, and my hands are miiiiiles better than before, and the back too (provided I don't overdo it!). I haven't had too many weird random flares too, like a shoulder for 2/3 weeks, then a wrist another... Did have a few flares in my feet, but as they haven't responded as well that didn't surprise me.

Advertisement