Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

It has now spread to the heels of my feet. Really painfull to walk. Never ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    It has now spread to the heels of my feet. Really painfull to walk. Never ending.
    Have you been to your GP? You need some sort of cream to calm that down

Gael23 wrote: »
    Have you been to your GP? You need some sort of cream to calm that down

Yes, dovotbet and fucidin i am using. It's just so annoying. Not only my feet so takes a long time to apply the creams.

Just thinking back to just over a year ago when i didn't have this disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Well, spent 3 months on methotrexate - no dice...no difference whatsoever.

Will start on acitretin next week (trade names : Soriatane, Neotigason). Does anyone have any experience of this stuff??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Yes, dovotbet and fucidin i am using. It's just so annoying. Not only my feet so takes a long time to apply the creams.

Just thinking back to just over a year ago when i didn't have this disease.

Both of my feet were affected last year, it was absolute torture, i feel so sorry for you buddy. but don't forget, once you get sorted with a treatment that keeps it away, it stays away!

• Advertisement

Will start on acitretin next week (trade names : Soriatane, Neotigason). Does anyone have any experience of this stuff??

Haven't heard of anyone here using acitretin, could be wrong tho.

Is it another tablet?

eeloe wrote: »
    Haven't heard of anyone here using acitretin, could be wrong tho.

Is it another tablet?

Its a capsule. It seems its marketed as Neotigason on the irish market.

Its a capsule. It seems its marketed as Neotigason on the irish market.

Not heard of it at all.

Have you considered looking at biologic treatments, or are you and your dermatologist exhausting every other avenue first?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jackhammer

I've been on Neotigason in the past. First thing I'd say it that all these medications do not affect individuals in the same way. I have to say my experience wasn't too pleasant. I lost all the skin on the soles of my feet which made it painful to walk. My fingernails and toenails started to dig into my skin, causing infections. But the worst was my skin became sticky, for example, If I shook hands with someone, my skin would stick to the other person, which I found embarrassing cos it's hard to refuse a handshake.

In the end it proved ineffectual for me and I was moved on to methrotrexate.

Best of luck with it. As I said these medicines affect people differently and I hope it goes well for you.

jackhammer wrote: »
    I've been on Neotigason in the past. First thing I'd say it that all these medications do not affect individuals in the same way. I have to say my experience wasn't too pleasant. I lost all the skin on the soles of my feet which made it painful to walk. My fingernails and toenails started to dig into my skin, causing infections. But the worst was my skin became sticky, for example, If I shook hands with someone, my skin would stick to the other person, which I found embarrassing cos it's hard to refuse a handshake.

Sounds dreamy!. :D..thanks for the feedback. Will see how it goes I guess.

• Advertisement

Have you considered looking at biologic treatments, or are you and your dermatologist exhausting every other avenue first?

I'm just going by what the dermatologist suggests. I live in a developing country so not sure what the regime is here with biologics. It seems to me that this one is an older drug. No idea if they will approve more recent drugs. Will give this one a go first and see what happens next...

Hopefully you get sorted sooner, rather than later buddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Acitretin and Methotrexate are usually used before Biologics depending on the case. I have other medical issues separate to Psoriasis that meant I couldn’t have them so skipped straight to biologics

Has anyone tried some of the Chinese herbal creams ? I've researched a bit and a lot of people seem to say it worked for them.

My feet and knees and elbows are so sore i would try anything now. That's why i am awake and nearly 4am. So annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Has anyone tried some of the Chinese herbal creams ? I've researched a bit and a lot of people seem to say it worked for them.
    Which ones? I have heard of "miracle creams" which turned out to be strong prescription steroid creams being sold as non-prescription herbal creams.

I'd be wary and research and only buy from a reputable pharmacy, rather than some online place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

Has anyone used Cosentyx yet. I’m starting treatment with it this week. From what I’m reading online it’s relatively safe

I started taking Cosentyx about 10 weeks ago. Stelara didn't work for me at all. Cosentyx has worked brilliantly for me. Psoriasis is clear and arthritis well under control. I've had a few infections recently but they pre-date Cosentyx so I don't see them as being related. I'm also on methotrexate but hope to come off it at some point.

My feet and knees and elbows are so sore i would try anything now. That's why i am awake and nearly 4am. So annoying.
    rubadub wrote: »
    Which ones? I have heard of "miracle creams" which turned out to be strong prescription steroid creams being sold as non-prescription herbal creams.

I'd be wary and research and only buy from a reputable pharmacy, rather than some online place.
    Basically this...^^^ They weren't herbal at all, just turned out to be crazy strong steroid creams, much higher than the doses we get here, but even weak steroid creams come with a rebound effect, they will clear your psoriasis for a while, but when you stop using the cream it generally comes back slightly worse. I'd avoid.

Have you seen a dermatologist yet Bohs?
    Misguided1 wrote: »
    I started taking Cosentyx about 10 weeks ago. Stelara didn't work for me at all. Cosentyx has worked brilliantly for me. Psoriasis is clear and arthritis well under control. I've had a few infections recently but they pre-date Cosentyx so I don't see them as being related. I'm also on methotrexate but hope to come off it at some point.

I'm absolutely delighted for you, i know it can be a bit nerve wrecking when something isn't working, but when you begin to see it clear, it really is magical! :)

I'm absolutely delighted for you, i know it can be a bit nerve wrecking when something isn't working, but when you begin to see it clear, it really is magical! :)

Thanks eeloe. Went through a bit of a bad patch when Humira stopped working and then Stelara didn't work at all. But Cosentyx has been amazing. The injection takes a little longer (nearly 10 seconds) but I don't feel it at all and its only once per month.

Basically this...^^^ They weren't herbal at all, just turned out to be crazy strong steroid creams, much higher than the doses we get here, but even weak steroid creams come with a rebound effect, they will clear your psoriasis for a while, but when you stop using the cream it generally comes back slightly worse. I'd avoid.

Have you seen a dermatologist yet Bohs?

Yes i read about them being sold and damaging people because they contained a steroid.

Haven't seen a dermatologist yet. I am hoping i will have some money soon to go private if my appeal with Irish life is successful.

I think the stress of worrying is not helping it too.

It's the only way you're going to get sorted buddy, it's best to just bite the bullet and get things sorted and get in there.

a couple of weeks after your appointment you're going to see some crazy results and have your life back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,525 ✭✭✭brevity

How often do you have to take the cosentyx injections?

brevity wrote: »
    every 4 weeks i think.

The dosage is 300 mg which is actually 2 separate injections of 150 each. They put me on a 5 week loading dose initially and now it is 300 mgs per month (2 injections taken at the same time). Doses may vary depending on your needs.

Good luck with it - I hope it brings you relief. It's been great for me.

The dosage is 300 mg which is actually 2 separate injections of 150 each. They put me on a 5 week loading dose initially and now it is 300 mgs per month (2 injections taken at the same time). Doses may vary depending on your needs.

Good luck with it - I hope it brings you relief. It's been great for me.

Oh I’m on stelara - it’s fine. I only have to inject every 8 weeks which is great considering these things are expensive.

I have bad arthritis in my hands and fingers which the stelara does nothing for. They are trying to get me on methroxate but I’ve heard bad things about it.

Good to know there are alternatives out there just in case the stelara starts acting up.

Oh I’m on stelara - it’s fine. I only have to inject every 8 weeks which is great considering these things are expensive.

I have bad arthritis in my hands and fingers which the stelara does nothing for. They are trying to get me on methroxate but I’ve heard bad things about it.

Good to know there are alternatives out there just in case the stelara starts acting up.

I was on methotrexate and then came off it. After a bad few months this year I've gone back on it. No side effects as far as I know. I have 2 aunts also on it - no issues whatsoever. I have arthritis in my hands also and the combination of methotrexate and cosentyx has it well under control.

Took my 12 weekly dose of Stelara last night.

Checking through my phone then and it turns out that next friday is exactly 1 year since i started.

Crazy.

Took my 12 weekly dose of Stelara last night.

Checking through my phone then and it turns out that next friday is exactly 1 year since i started.

Crazy.

**** me, time flies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Really upset and disheartened. Still waiting to hear back from my consultant in regards to starting my meds. I’ve all my shots done. But I’m shook at how awful my skin is getting. I’ve had this condition 14 years and never once did I get it on my body. This morning a patch appeared on my face and there’s another patch appearing on my thumb. I’m private so can’t understand why he’s being so lax this is horrific

Really upset and disheartened. Still waiting to hear back from my consultant in regards to starting my meds. I’ve all my shots done. But I’m shook at how awful my skin is getting. I’ve had this condition 14 years and never once did I get it on my body. This morning a patch appeared on my face and there’s another patch appearing on my thumb. I’m private so can’t understand why he’s being so lax this is horrific

Sometimes consultants need a nudge. Unfortunately you are just one in a long list of patients. Give his secretary a call and ask her to get an update on when you can expect to get the meds. I had a similar situation when switching to Stelara. I was 12 weeks waiting for the new prescription. He had simply forgotten that he never gave me the prescription.

I've become very pro-active in managing my consultant and his secretary. The odd box of chocolates goes a very long way.....

• Advertisement

Also, I think the dermatologists and pharmacy’s have to jump through a few more hoops when it comes to biologics. This was mentioned to me the last time I went...

Advertisement