Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pedistrian Bridge

• 14-08-2008 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭

SO it looks as though the City Council has started the ball rolling with their pedestrian bridge accross the suir from the Clock tower to the North Quays

see http://www.e-tenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=AUG105987

I wonder who will lodge a submission first?????

but good news all the same:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

That is kinda positive isn't it?

I kinda expected this recession to treat Waterford much the same as the last one did.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Lucy Locket

progression at last.....but I might get in with the objection just to be different...lol....only joking...but dont think names need to be mentioned...we all know who..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

:? a bridge catering to cars and trucks going from Ferrybank to the mall would be a far better idea if they could sort out some form of decent traffic flow with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A road bridge would be tricky and ugly (prolly), they need to put one further down river and bring traffic across to Belview. (/checks to see if thats even possible!)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

:p
    progression at last.....but I might get in with the objection just to be different...lol....only joking...but dont think names need to be mentioned...we all know who..

we all know who.. is right and he objects to everything, except his own planning....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

robtri wrote: »

we all know who.. is right and he objects to everything, except his own planning....

Maybe he will. Perhaps that's the reason it is in his wifes name, so he won't be objecting to an application which has his own name;)

robtri wrote: »

Oh my god wouldn't it be so funny if he did object....is there anyway any one could object to his planning under his name....(sorry I know should of been under his thread)....

Kahless wrote: »
    Maybe he will. Perhaps that's the reason it is in his wifes name, so he won't be objecting to an application which has his own name;)

you are reading my mind...freaky!!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

you are reading my mind...freaky!!:P

we are all thinking the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

whoo hooo!!! i said this to the Boys 8 years ago when i moved here... They should put a foot bridge across to ferrybank.. niceone!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

This doesnt look like a public consultation process where the average joe so can lodge objecitons.

There looking for someone to do the job, isnt that what the whole tendering process is about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Sully wrote: »
    This doesnt look like a public consultation process where the average joe so can lodge objecitons.

There looking for someone to do the job, isnt that what the whole tendering process is about?

The Council wishes to engage consultants to advance the scheme through the Planning, Design, Tender and Contract Supervision stages.Written submissions are requested from interested Consultants, from which a shortlist of five will be selected to tender.

at the planning stage Joe Soaps can lodge submissions

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ah okay. Was wondering. I thought a public consultation would have been done and now they were looking for tenders to do it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The bridge could be handy if they ever do anything with the north quays.

Kahless wrote: »
    The bridge could be handy if they ever do anything with the north quays.

I think it's a bit of a status quo. If I were a developer I wouldn't build anything there until the bridge was in place.

Fair play to the Council for pullin the finger out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

Bards wrote: »
    SO it looks as though the City Council has started the ball rolling with their pedestrian bridge accross the suir from the Clock tower to the North Quays

see http://www.e-tenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=AUG105987

I wonder who will lodge a submission first?????

but good news all the same:cool:

I think this raises a few questions.

I thought the pedestrian bridge was to be funded from the gateway innovation fund? Has that not been put on hold?

And if the pedestrian bridge is to be funded from the gateway innovation fund how come that got funding and the much more important Viking Quarter has not got funding?

I am not trying to be negative but to me the Viking Quarter has to be a priority. At a time when government funding is under strain projects with certain regeneration results are the ones that should get the money. Building a bridge to a site that could remain empty for another 10 years for all we know is a strange choice to me.

I know that a bridge linking the city centre with the North Quays would be an enticement to a developer. But I find it puzzling that the Viking Quarter cannot get funding and a bridge that will be nothing more than a monument for many years to come does?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It would be incredibly ironic if a member of the Green Party tried to oppose a footbridge being built. Heaven forbid we'd be encouraged walk anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

Fajitas! wrote: »
    It would be incredibly ironic if a member of the Green Party tried to oppose a footbridge being built. Heaven forbid we'd be encouraged walk anywhere.

Sure he objected to upgrading the train station. Heaven forbid we’d encourage the use of public transport.

A lot of people objected to the upgrading of the train station.

The new design is not exactly timeless. It'll look tacky and stupid in 20 years time.

Aye. While im sure he does go a bit crazy with objections - sometimes his objections make good points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

I think this raises a few questions.

I thought the pedestrian bridge was to be funded from the gateway innovation fund? Has that not been put on hold?

And if the pedestrian bridge is to be funded from the gateway innovation fund how come that got funding and the much more important Viking Quarter has not got funding?

I am not trying to be negative but to me the Viking Quarter has to be a priority. At a time when government funding is under strain projects with certain regeneration results are the ones that should get the money. Building a bridge to a site that could remain empty for another 10 years for all we know is a strange choice to me.

I know that a bridge linking the city centre with the North Quays would be an enticement to a developer. But I find it puzzling that the Viking Quarter cannot get funding and a bridge that will be nothing more than a monument for many years to come does?? :confused:

The following article should address some of these concerns

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/manager-refuses-to-rule-out-city-centre-bridge/

Advertisement