Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New ISDN problems

Options
  • 14-08-2008 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,

we have just upgraded one of our analogue phones lines to ISDN BRI. We are having problems when trying to make outside calls - gettings "All lines busy" or "call abandoned". I have raised a fault with Eircom and they say the line itself is ok but another Engineer is due to check the ISDN connection. Has anyone come across this problem? We have a PBX and it was working fine before.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭619C

mbrown wrote: »
    Hi,

we have just upgraded one of our analogue phones lines to ISDN BRI. We are having problems when trying to make outside calls - gettings "All lines busy" or "call abandoned". I have raised a fault with Eircom and they say the line itself is ok but another Engineer is due to check the ISDN connection. Has anyone come across this problem? We have a PBX and it was working fine before.

thanks.

Hi,
    If you have a PBX and it was working fine before then you were using an analogue line - this line is now 'upgraded' to an ISDN line.
    You will need to change the connection to the PBX by connecting the ISDN line to an ISDN card within the PBX.
    OR
    If it is a 'high speed' box you can connect two analogue connections from your PBX and carry on as before.

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

4 is the digital port 1 & 2 are the analogue ports...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

You havent stated the type of phone system. Is it an analogue or digital system? If its an analogue system as mentioned by other posters you can take the analogue ports out of the Eircom plug n play box. Be sure though to know what you want. For example if you want only one number to go into your pbx and the other for say a seperate fax machine you need to program the msn's on the eircom box. If you want both analogue lines to go into the pbx you can leave the msn's unprogrammed. This will allow you access either number

Now if its a digital ssytem and you have taken a digital port and connected to a digital PBX then the issue may be different. This could be to do with Eircom setting up BRI's and point to mulitpoint connections. This can make a PBX have the problems you've mentioned there. The solution for that is to request for the BRI to be changed to point to point..

If this doesnt help can you please post a bit more info on the scenario..

It sounds most likely that they have an analogue pbx as it was working with analogue lines befor hand... I wonder who advised them or what benefit they thought they were obtaining by upgrading to ISDN!.. bet a tenner it was an Eircom sales call:D

haha most probably alright Johnnie... Those bloody reps, they never have to think about the people who actually have to deal with the mess afterwards...!!

• Advertisement

FusionNet wrote: »
    Those bloody reps, they never have to think about the people who actually have to deal with the mess afterwards...!!

Aint that the truth..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mbrown

the problem was with the ISDN line being multipoint. Eircom changed it to point-point and no more problems. Thanks for that Fusionet! I did come across another posting, in a different forum, and they had a similar problem with the line being multipoint.

I totally reckon I should get a gold star this week!!! Your more than welcome, Im glad I could help..

Fusion Networks, not only the best ICT company in Kerry giving you CCTV, computer networks and telephone systems but we can cook too...!!!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

mbrown wrote: »
    the problem was with the ISDN line being multipoint. Eircom changed it to point-point and no more problems. Thanks for that Fusionet! I did come across another posting, in a different forum, and they had a similar problem with the line being multipoint.

Classic problem. Normally occurs when the line is ordered by someone who doesn't know the diffrence and Eircom sales wouldn't have a clue. Many PBX would use Point to Point but by if you just order ISDN and don't say you want Point to Point you get an Eircom ISDN Plug and Pray box which is always Point to Multipoint.

Did they change over the box at your the end of the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mackerooney

ttm wrote: »
    Classic problem. Normally occurs when the line is ordered by someone who doesn't know the diffrence and Eircom sales wouldn't have a clue. Many PBX would use Point to Point but by if you just order ISDN and don't say you want Point to Point you get an Eircom ISDN Plug and Pray box which is always Point to Multipoint.

Did they change over the box at your the end of the line?
    Not necessarily true - even if you specify point to point, 9 times out of 10 they will set it up point to multi point which is their default setting. In addition any time they do any work on your lines - diverts etc they will deafult back to point to multi point and you will go through the same issues.

No need to change the modem - its just a setting at the exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mbrown

when the ISDN is set to "point to point" can I plug an analogue phone into one of the 2 ports on the Eircom ISDN plug & play box? Or would the ISDN line have to be multipoint for this to work?

I don't have a specific problem as the PBX is now working fine but I'm interested in the difference between the 2 settings.

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Thats why I asked if they changed the box over :rolleyes:

The plug and pray box has two analogue ports true, but they CANNOT be used if the ISDN line is set up "point to point".

Similarly you CANNOT plug any other deivce that requires "point to multipoint" into one of the ISDN connections and expect it to work, an example would be an ISDN modem - won't work pluged into "point to point" ISDN line.

If the engineer changes the box the question doesn't get asked as the analogue ports aren't there on a "traditional" ISDN NT1 unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 conormonks

hi i installed an ericom isdn service in a house i was renting which i just moved out of.

6 months after this broadband became available i went to bt for service as they installed bb and downgraded line to psdn free, eircom wanted 125 euro to change line back to psdn so i changed my service to bt.

the box connected to a secondry socket in the house remains, with an green and white wire to one socket and orange and white to other

if i disconnect either phone socket going into nat one the enitre line is dead.

how can i remove this box without having to fork out 125 euro to eircom please
    as my previous landlord wants it gone its quite unsightly really. thanks conor

Advertisement