Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaoxing rice wine

• 14-08-2008 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭

any idea where I might get this in Dublin? (the girl off Chinese Food Made Easy on the BBC uses it all the time)

I tried the Oriental Market on Abbey St to no avail

thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Asian Market, Drury Street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's odd .. the one on Abbey St. is pretty big .. bigger than the Asian Market I'd say. I've never bought any here in Ireland so I wouldn't know, but might it be because of the alcohol sales laws here? Would they need a licence to sell alcoholic beverages such as this? Just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Asia Market on Drury St. definitely have it, although it's clearer than the one Ching-He Huang uses on her show, if that makes any difference. As an aside, I made the "Lion's Head" Meatballs from episode 6 yesterday, shaped them raw and refrigerated them overnight. When I went to cook them this morning, the spring onions in the balls had lost their green colour and had gone an almost grey colour. They tasted fine when cooked, but I couldn't help but feel that cooking them immediately after shaping would have brought out the fresher flavours better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Asia Market on Drury St. definitely have it, although it's clearer than the one Ching-He Huang uses on her show, if that makes any difference. As an aside, I made the "Lion's Head" Meatballs from episode 6 yesterday, shaped them raw and refrigerated them overnight. When I went to cook them this morning, the spring onions in the balls had lost their green colour and had gone an almost grey colour. They tasted fine when cooked, but I couldn't help but feel that cooking them immediately after shaping would have brought out the fresher flavours better.

thanks Magic, I will pop up there at lunchtime and issue an update!

I have to say I don't like the idea of leaving spring onions to sit once chopped up at all! Surely the whole point of them is to be nice and fresh and crunchy...

edit: they have it, thanks again. looking forward to trying this out (or drinking it if I get desperate)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

any idea where I might get this in Dublin? (the girl off Chinese Food Made Easy on the BBC uses it all the time)

I tried the Oriental Market on Abbey St to no avail

thanks in advance
    I think that crazy hack of a chinese cook uses it way too much like how a lot of chinese restaurants and takeaways over uses msg. I've never seen anyone just throws that into everything before. But yeah, you should be able to get this in Drury St asia market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

I was sucked in while watching the TV show too, and searched high and low for this wine! Eventually found it in a local shop in Drogheda and added it into my stir-fry the other night. Didn't really notice any difference tbh!

Maybe I need to use more next time!

Advertisement