Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carrier Command 2

• 14-08-2008 4:32pm
    Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've waited a long long time for this. It's being developed by Bohemia Interactive, of Operation Flashpoint & Armed Assault fame, so I think there's cause for optimism (and probably a lot of bugs for the first few months)

Read more here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Pants = soiled

But I don't want to wait till 2010. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Brings back fond memories of playing it on the Amiga, backing the carrier up to an island and spamming cruise missiles out the back at people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

No...
    Freaking...
    Way...

Excellent news, hopfully it will live up to my hazy memory of my good old atari days. Turbo Racer and Carrier Command on one floppy. Good times.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Yeah, but will they remake Wings and Nighthunter eh? Ah Amiga, how I loved you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Burga Galti

Oooh, I can't wait. I wonder if the game will still have suicide runs into the enemie's engines as almost the only way to win. Or at least, that was the only way I ever found anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Ah yes, the memories of repeatedly typing in "the" in the copy protection screen as I didn't have all of the manual photocopied. Made playing it all the more worthwhile !

TC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

cant say i have heard about it, what was the original like?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

TinCool wrote: »
    Ah yes, the memories of repeatedly typing in "the" in the copy protection screen as I didn't have all of the manual photocopied. Made playing it all the more worthwhile !

TC

lol. "Ah Piss" eh Pauly?

Indeed :P

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Finally, some screenshots have been released. Pretty droolworthy. I imagine its running on some form of the Arma2 engine (am I imagining it or does it look way better?). I'm really excited about this. Given Bohemia Interactive's form, I'm really hopeful this will have some serious depth.

12780_4aae51fc5cc58.jpg
    12780_4aae51e92e671.jpg
    12780_4aae51f2b7d7d.jpg
    12780_4aae51de4814f.jpg
    12780_4aae50e4e3244.jpg
    12780_4aae51105462d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Looks fantastic. Absolutely loved the first game, here's hoping this is going to be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Never heard of the original either. Is this FPS or RTS?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Never heard of the original either. Is this FPS or RTS?

It was a seminal game from the late 80's (I played it on the Atari ST). It was kind of a mix between a simulator and an RTS I guess. It's hard to think of anything like it actually. I can only think of one game that came close to it, Hostile Waters and even that was like 8 years ago.

Basically you controlled this carrier and went around a large map conquering islands. you had missiles and cannons on the carrier, amphibious vehicles and aircraft you could control. You ultimately had to destroy an enemy carrier which was doing the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The nearest thing to it today would be something like Battlestations Pacific.

Those screens look great. I really hope it lives up to my expectations (but I somehow can't see it coming with a free Playboy Bunny :( ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

had it for me speccy (or possibily early PC, prob both) - loved it!

unfortunately its the death-knell for that homemade project I've been following for years
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/martingbell/projects/
    http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/mod/journal/journal.asp?jn=472138&cmonth=5&cyear=2009
    ..which is a shame

Fingers crossed Bohemia can create a worthy sucessor, as they're pretty big shoes to fill... the fact they're going with the ArmA2 engine, hopefully it'll not be too much infantry based, as it was all about the vehicles :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I could never get anywhere in carrier command. Didntknow WTF i was supposed to be doing. Still it looked fancy for an atari ST game. I wonder if bohemia will actually be able to program something that isnt a ****ing shambolic mess of bugs and glitches for once. My money is on no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

So its ready in 2011 then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i need a new mandible

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

HMMmmm.. I dont know about this. When I played games like elite and frontier I was drooling looking at X, freelancer etc when they came along ... I mean the gfx were 1000 times better how could they go wrong! Sadly they never lived up to my expectations. :(

Some in-game footage released. Looks great but no info on multiplayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I wont be able to run this :(

You need to seriously consider a life of crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Sarn

Looks pretty nice. Loved the first one. If they can recreate that and add some multiplayer that'd be sweet.

Looks cool. Looking forward not having to type in "the" to get through the copy protection without the manual haha :P

Maximilian wrote: »
    You need to seriously consider a life of crime.
    I could buy a new machine if I wanted. Its a matter of Frugality.

New trailer for this at E3 - looks interesting.

Overheal wrote: »
    I wont be able to run this :(
    Now I will :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Had to laugh at that guy towards the end trying to dodge the missle. Like that's going to help :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That looks awesome.whens it out?

• Advertisement

That looks awesome.whens it out?

They haven't said although I remember reading somewhere that it might be Q1 2012. It's been in development for a while now. Could be this late this year, who knows.

27/09/2012

release date

http://www.carriercommand.com/

Beta for anyone interested, problem is a fair few Arma players on the beta they BI fans and not CC fans. Hopefully they are ignored :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Only waiting since 1992 for this..... Better be worth the wait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

All the waiting.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-29-carrier-command-gaea-mission-uk-release-date-confirmed

Release date confirmed for uk...28/9/2012

I buy mastertronic games for a fiver.....how much will CC2 be ?:p

Advertisement