Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD playback comes to wii (no mod chips required)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Does this affect the Wii drive laser? I've heard playback of DVD movies may cause laser problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Taken from hackmii:
    The myth of you being able to ‘burn out’ a DVD laser is pretty much what it says on the tin, a myth. This drive was designed specifically for two things. reading Wii games, and reading DVD-Videos. There are special commands in the drive for doing so. (We use these commands to read these discs without a modchip). So, these drives were designed with reading DVD-Videos in mind. (And even if they wern’t, you’re running the entire drive in spec. I’ve been told these myths came about when people were pot-tuning their PS2s, running them out of spec. Running any piece of hardware beyond the limits that were set for it will break it in the long run)

So your wii will be fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Also afaik the only major difference between a Wii DVD and an ordinary DVD is the file system used on a Wii DVD, which would be unlikely to have any effect on the laser. I could be wrong though.

Advertisement