Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ABS problem. Golf 00-D. Warning light on -off

Options
  • 14-08-2008 4:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Felt it yesterday!
    Felt the ABS kick in while braking gently under normal condition:eek:
    I swear i could here the ABS motor device firing..
    I felt a kick(small judder) in brake pedal which occurs at same rate of ABS..
    Its happing more often now.
    Its seems to only happen at medium speeds of around 30 to 40 mph..
    WHATS THE CAUSE???

POSSIBLE CAUSE!
    My back brakes could be the cause as the warning light for warn pads has been illuminated for some time now. I changed the front brakes over 4 weeks ago and after the job the ABS warning light came on for a hour or two and then it went out, i assumed that all was well -when it disappeared on its own accord..

I,m going to examen the back brakes tonight after dinner and i reckon their warn-out so i change them. Is there anything that i need to be aware of when changing pads.. ????????????????

When i change pads i open the bleed screw( at caliper) and the master reservoir cylinder filler cap and then i force the caliper piston back into the the main body of the brake caliper. I do this to make room for the new wider pads.. This is what i have always done......

Could worn brakes effect the ABS mechanism????

Any thought or observation will be greatly received

Thanks in advance..
    Regards Ivan..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Any takers on this problem!! please advise

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

First of all - the rear pads do not have a 'low level' sensor. Only your front pads have this.

I don't think there is any need to loosen the bleed nipple, removing the brake fluid reservoir cap should be enough. You may need a piston wind back tool depending on the type of caliper fitted.

VW recommend that the braking system is pressure bled. Manually bleeding the bakes without the system under pressure at all times can lead to air in the system.

Before you do anything, you should ensure that the trigger wheels at each hub are clean. Dirty teeth can sometimes cause the sensor to think that wheel is stopped which will activate the ABS.

It could also be a faulty ABS sensor, but usually this will bring on the ABS warning lamp on the dash.

You see if i go out now and turn on the ignition and start her up, all the warning lights operate as normal.
    When i drive down the road after letting the car lie up for a while the first few touches off the brake pedal will active the ABS and hay presto the ABS warning light come on, then the braking becomes les erratic and more normal... Then 5 mins latter the ABS warning light goes out! but a few mins later it comes back on even though braking seems to be physically operating normally!!

Where about are these trigger wheels located on the VW Assembly ? and is the same spot that i;ll see these so called teeth?

Sorry for all the question! until now i drove an old(er) car i never had any trouble with changing any parts, disc's, pads, hubs leading and following shoes, pistons, hand brake cables, back plates, flexible brake pipes etc etc but now i am truly clueless about ABS.

Thanks Crosstownk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

IIRC, it's built into the inside of the brake disc.

crosstownk wrote: »
    IIRC, it's built into the inside of the brake disc.

Whats IIRC ? a sensor of sorts ?

Anyway i never got to look it to the problem last night!
    today the ABS system was firing away while no braking was being applied??
    This happened twice and it lasted until i depressed the brakes for a sec or two...

• Advertisement
Advertisement