Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would Maestro have worked?

Options
  • 14-08-2008 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Lidl in Antrim yesterday. I produced my Laser Card which also has the Maestro symbol on it. There is a big sign saying they accept only debit cards, including Maestro.

Assistant refused the card, saying "Cards from the South don't work on this system."

I felt he should have tried the card.

Would the card have worked? Is Maestro useless or can it be used abroad?

Modus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Does it have the Cirrus logo on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 modus

yes it has Cirrus also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Debit cards from the Ireland are not supposed to work as debit cards outside Ireland, they should work fine in ATM's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not nessecarily. Maestro is a load of different systems sharing one brand. Maestro (UK) is the old Switch system with a new logo.

If you search this forum for Maestro you'll see various stories of (non)acceptance in the UK and elsewhere. I've happily used mine in various countries, and the UK on ocaasion and the also had it not work.

DarkJager - Cirrus has nothing to do with it. Cirrus is an ATM network, so it's presence on a card is more related to being accepted in ATM's with a Cirrus/Maestro/Mastercard logo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Maestro UK is a totally different system to the real Maestro (in the UK, they just renamed their existing Switch system as Maestro). It's incompatiable with the international Maestro system.

I'm afraid the UK banking system was totally at fault in your case.

Irish issued Maestro cards do have some issue with them however in relation to online acceptance. However, they can be used at POS (in shops etc) in most modern countries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement